PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding A20A3

amcinstaller
08-14-2009, 01:50 PM
so i got an A20A3 engine from Guy. looks great, but will need a bit of a once over. ive decided to do the normal pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets on it for a reliability thing, and im just wondering (besides the obvious pumps and tensioner) is there anything else i should do while i have this engine on the stand that will make my life easier? any reliability/cheap power upgrades that can be done? the block will be bored about .020 over.

also, can any other heads be swapped on? like maybe a 4G 16 valve? sorry if this ones a little noobish

1987AccordLx-i
08-15-2009, 10:06 AM
so i got an A20A3 engine from Guy. looks great, but will need a bit of a once over. ive decided to do the normal pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets on it for a reliability thing, and im just wondering (besides the obvious pumps and tensioner) is there anything else i should do while i have this engine on the stand that will make my life easier? any reliability/cheap power upgrades that can be done? the block will be bored about .020 over.

also, can any other heads be swapped on? like maybe a 4G 16 valve? sorry if this ones a little noobish

first off... we cant go 16v cuz we have a ONE make engine... meaning our engines are one of a kind and cant be interchanged with other parts.. only SOME parts from the 4th gen can fit like the throttlebody and the MAP sensor.. but for the rebuild... get it hot tanked... its soooo worth it... you gotta make sure the oilers are open and clear.. i failed to do that and i ruined a rebuilt engine in less then 20 miles (dam plugged up oilers) so get it hot tanked... shouldnt be more then 50 bucks and just takes a day or less... and practice surgical cleanliness when putting everything together... you dont want sand and dust in the bearings.. wear latex gloves and use plenty of assembly lube...

amcinstaller
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
alright, well, my block is at the machinist right now. i dropped it off the day i made the first post but still only expect to hear whether they can bore out the rust and pitting this week. the block will be hot tanked, and im arranging for a proper environment to do the assembly. what i was hoping to know was if there was anything like grind this out here, or port this area there, stuff like that to maybe squeeze out a pony or two extra from the rebuild. probly not though, considering stock valves and cam.

1987AccordLx-i
08-18-2009, 03:03 PM
alright, well, my block is at the machinist right now. i dropped it off the day i made the first post but still only expect to hear whether they can bore out the rust and pitting this week. the block will be hot tanked, and im arranging for a proper environment to do the assembly. what i was hoping to know was if there was anything like grind this out here, or port this area there, stuff like that to maybe squeeze out a pony or two extra from the rebuild. probly not though, considering stock valves and cam.

well you can clean out the intake manifold.. it helps.. as well as the head.. clean out all of the crud and deposits from the last 20+ years of hell.. as for the proper environment.. i would do it in a clean place.. outdoors is ok as long as you dont have dirt flying around everywhere.. and you can change the MAP sensor for the one to the 4g.. that gives a good boost of power but your fuel mileage will plumet.. good luck man.. keep us posted

Tomisimo
08-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Wel if you have a Dremel thingee and head on the bench, you can olways get 4G F22a4 parts like dizzy, and ecu from it and Map sensor. and try to modify dizzy to the head, minor modificationg that will requaer colculations and logistical skils but that way you can go OBD1 ECU and tune it.. it will boost engine to aprox 150/160Hp instead of original 120hp.
Also you can dropp your head at a shop and get it ported, innlet and outlet runners. try to modify and port mutch B16\B18 intake manigold, it will give you an adge and better top and low end performance. Also you can go with Carb exhaust manifold if you dont want header. It is 4-1 instead EFi 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.. it will gain you more torq.
there is more, but it all depends on how much you want ot invest in it..

But cheap and inecent moods are
Carb mani, B16 intake, 4G Map sensor, CAI and propper exhaust system.
OBD1 but need to be rewired and repinned ECU harnes.. so its more for performance..

amcinstaller
08-18-2009, 08:37 PM
i guess the answer is in how you ask the question, not the question itself :) thanks guys, ill post more as i go about it all. im thinking ill be swappin in a 5 spd at the same time, my auto is not so reliable anymore.