PDA

View Full Version : Well modded Keihin or 32/36 DFAV

Bass Man
08-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Well... I'm kinda stuck with what to put back in my DX. I was gonna strip the stock carb and do a manual secondary, then I got my Weber back from my buddy, who was gonna put it on his 22r yota, but when I went to get an adapter plate for the Accord, my parts guy told me the accords call for a DGAV, not the DFAV...

I can see that the carb is completely backwards. The primary is in front (when the fuel input is on the passenger side) instead of the back, and the linkage is at the bottom, rolling clockwise instead of at the top, rolling counter-clockwise.

How would I run it?? Fuel input on the drivers side and flip the linkage? I've been searching around and I haven't found anyone running the DF(Ford is what the parts guy said... Damn Ford...)AV.

Bass Man
08-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Linkage setup.
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8103/dsc00409n.jpg

Bass Man
08-15-2009, 05:37 PM
I turned the linkage 180* and it looks like it will work.

Looks like I can make the same throttle bracket as the one I had, but just completely opposite.
*This is my old setup*
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3339/dsc00020dkx.jpg
*This is my old setup*

I think it's gonna work, all I gotta do is make that bracket.

Anyone have input on this?

lostforawhile
08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I think that will work try converting a rod linkage set of carbs that turned backwards to work lol.

labeledsk8r
08-15-2009, 06:05 PM
looks like it will work, dont know about that spring though....lol

Bass Man
08-15-2009, 07:54 PM
That's my old setup. Notice I didn't have a secondary spring? I put that long spring on there cuz I didn't have anywhere to put a better looking one. I got a return spring on this new one, though. I'm gonna jet it tonight; hopefully my intake gasket got in on Friday like it should have and I can hopefully make it run tomorrow.

lostforawhile
08-16-2009, 05:01 AM
That's my old setup. Notice I didn't have a secondary spring? I put that long spring on there cuz I didn't have anywhere to put a better looking one. I got a return spring on this new one, though. I'm gonna jet it tonight; hopefully my intake gasket got in on Friday like it should have and I can hopefully make it run tomorrow.get a double spring, summit has em as well as most auto parts stores that sell holley parts, it's a safety issue ,it has an external and internal spring,if one breaks you have the other and the throttle won't hang open, even the factory keihin has dual springs,they are just a different kind of spring, if you look closely at one, you will see there are actually two, talking about the wound spring around the throttle shaft.

Bass Man
08-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I was gonna run a return spring somewhere on the linkage plus the one that's already on the primary shaft. Is this way not good or is the primary return a "cleaner" looking way to run a return spring?

88Accord-DX
08-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Does your hood close ok with the weber air filter? Mine hits the bottom of the hood & haven't notched it out yet. It's a 2" air filter. Did you notch the hood out too?

lostforawhile
08-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I was gonna run a return spring somewhere on the linkage plus the one that's already on the primary shaft. Is this way not good or is the primary return a "cleaner" looking way to run a return spring?well you can get a double spring like a holley spring with one inside of the other one is a safety in case the other breaks.

Bass Man
08-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Does your hood close ok with the weber air filter? Mine hits the bottom of the hood & haven't notched it out yet. It's a 2" air filter. Did you notch the hood out too?
When I had my old setup with a 2" filter, mine hit my support, so I just cut it out. I got a smaller filter for it now because of that, but I'm running the carb right on the manifold, so it probably wouldn't hit with the 2".

well you can get a double spring like a holley spring with one inside of the other one is a safety in case the other breaks.

I don't have anywhere to put a return spring right now. I might have to weld a loop on the throttle plate and one on the firewall. I think my Napa would have one.

2oodoor
08-17-2009, 08:04 AM
I was using A DFEV a whlle back, you need to match the primary barrel to the primary port though. That puts the linkage on the passenger side on mine. I may be able to find a picture here somewhere of that.

btw I never realized it but the choke/airhorn size between the DG and DF are considerable, the DF being much smaller.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/08-25-07_1544.jpg

lostforawhile
08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
interesting, I will have to find a picture of my return springs, the linkage has two, they originally were attached to the heat shield, but since i don't need it in this application, i had to build a spring plate with brackets off of the manifold. also the reason i had to move the oil filter. mine pull in a vertical direction. as far as my linkage, i used pieces and parts off of a keihin to modify the linkage to the carbs.

2ndGenGuy
08-17-2009, 08:37 AM
There is already a return spring on each throttle shaft. Mechanically linked, they shouldn't allow full throttle unless they both break, then if you have a single return spring on that, you should be fine. I mean that's 3 springs to break before you're totally screwed.

You do need an external spring though, not for safety reasons necessarily, but because without it, your throttle will NOT close 100%, and you'll wind up with a 1500RPM idle.

Bass Man
08-17-2009, 06:00 PM
It runs good, exept I have the wrong jets. Gonna try to swap them out with another weber on my brother's rig.

Bass Man
08-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Took it down the road tonight. Popping pretty back with the secondaries... I can't tune these damn webers...

I don't know if it's the DFAV, but the primary idle jet uses the secondary idle jets instead of the big fat ones.

2oodoor
08-18-2009, 08:23 AM
i mentioned this already since I see in your picture you do have the primary barrel going into the secondary and visa versa, according to the picture anyway.
Anybody "can tune a weber" wholly geesh, it is the easiest carb ever put on a car.

Bass Man
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah... I guess if I had any jets I could tune it! haha...

Bought some Bosch lifetime warrenty plug wires and some new NGK plugs. Figured I should start fresh if I'm gonna tune it.

I got a return spring on for temperary untill I put a tab on the firewall and throttle linkage, seems to work fine. My idle screw likes to back off if I run it, so I think I'm gonna scribe the threads and try to get some "Nyloc" action.

A bad side, though... This Weber's been worked on a LOT, and now only 3/5 screws are still holding the tophat on... I can drill 1 out and put a nut on the other side, but the remaining one is in a bad spot.

2oodoor
08-19-2009, 04:03 AM
put a clean tap in the hole and use a stud with locktite maybe? any leakage sloshage?

I have jets and what not I take out of spare carbs that are in the range you may need.

Bass Man
08-19-2009, 06:44 AM
I can't see any gas leaking, but I've notice that when I pull the secondaries fully, it sucks gas straight from the bowl... Weird.

I got an LXI engine with a 4-2-1 LXI manifold, if that makes much difference.

lostforawhile
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I found the picture of my return springs, http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020230-3.jpg