PDA

View Full Version : Transmission

SOHC
08-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I looked for my transmission around town and had to stop at a honda dealership. They told me that my year of car can only use the same year Transmission, any other year and it wont work. Anyone got any Ideas????

charliekuney
08-17-2009, 09:57 PM
I've read and been told that all four(?) of the transmissions work for all model years. The carburated transmissions just have a slightly longer gear ratio than the fuel-injected transmissions.

- carburated automatic (DX/LX)
- carburated manual (DX/LX)
- fuel-injected automatic (LX-i/SE-i)
- fuel-injected manual (LX-i/SE-i)

2ndGenGuy
08-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, all 3gee Accord and 2g Prelude Si transmissions will swap. Some Prelude DX's will work too, but not sure which ones. Some have smaller splines in the transmission.

labeledsk8r
08-17-2009, 10:15 PM
yep, and also the 2nd gen prelude's engine will work as they had a A18 and A20 engine aswell thats 1984?-87 i think? someone correct me if im rong on years, the gear ratios are all difrent between the prelude carb and EFI trans's aswell as the accord gear ratios are difrent between the carbed and FI cars

SOHC
08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
ok thanks guys, I'll try and locate a Prelude or another Accord. I'm just really tired of not having my fifth gear.

ecogabriel
08-19-2009, 09:13 AM
ok thanks guys, I'll try and locate a Prelude or another Accord. I'm just really tired of not having my fifth gear.

I think you may fix your fifth gear without removing the transmission; do some search on the pages around here -I read about it in some thread not too long ago.
Besides, the gears and parts may be bought online; Majestic Honda has them in their website. I checked it a few days ago as I might get a 5-speed w/a dead 5th to swap and get rid of my auto that f... vibrate the whole car.

Joay
08-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Is fifth gear the only thing that's wrong with it? You don't have to change the whole transmission to fix fifth; you can swap that gear by itself without taking the transmission out of the car if I'm not mistaken.

MessyHonda
08-20-2009, 12:48 AM
you that black cover just stores your 5th gear...so buy a working one so you can swap it in...and remember to use honda mtf

AZmike
08-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Swapping out fifth gear with the transmission in the car isn't bad. Pull the battery (for better access) and the fifth gear cover. You'll need a 5mm drift for the shift fork spring pin and a 30 mm socket for the shaft nuts. One of the nuts is left-handed. As long as the splines on the mainshaft aren't too severely damaged you should be good for quite a while longer with just a fith gear set.

SOHC
08-20-2009, 08:01 PM
cool thanks guys, It sounds like a weekend type of job, or when I have the time off.