PDA

View Full Version : power steering

jasonrebellion
08-18-2009, 07:55 PM
mine doesn't work at all...it's leaking fluid onto the exhaust manifold from the pressure hose....since it doesn't leak when the car's not running, that would mean the pump still works right? It's not a terrible gushing leak, but enough to make it smoke when im sitting at a redlight...would that leak make then power steering not work at all? the rack has no leaks by the way and the steering seems to turn fine other than being manual... thanks for any help!

Dr_Snooz
08-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure if the leak would cause the PS not to work, but it is going to cause an engine fire if you don't fix it. Please, please do that at once.

When you've finished that, come back and post how this started, what sorts of noises you're getting, the condition of the fluid, etc. etc.

Thanks!

jasonrebellion
08-18-2009, 09:51 PM
well I'm planning on fixing it in the AM, its been like that since I bought the car. fluid seems fine. it looks like the original hose since it's got the rounded edges on it where it mates up to the pump..any idea how much fluid I'll lose changing the hose out? I bought 2 bottles when I bought the hose and pump

ecogabriel
08-19-2009, 09:25 AM
well I'm planning on fixing it in the AM, its been like that since I bought the car. fluid seems fine. it looks like the original hose since it's got the rounded edges on it where it mates up to the pump..any idea how much fluid I'll lose changing the hose out? I bought 2 bottles when I bought the hose and pump

I replaced the pressure hose (leaking but very little) and got rid of the old liquid last week. I poured about a quart of fluid overall. I am not sure how much fluid would come out once the hose is removed from the steering rack because mine was emptied before removing it; two bottles seem more than enough though.

Oh, and getting that hose out (and the new in) was a PITA. I read about it here and experienced it.
I found out that fuel injected cars may be a little easier by removing the air filter box; that extra space may help in positioning the hose in and out. I brought the hose tubing parallel to the engine and above the rear engine mount and then tried to slip it towards the rack; I eventually found the spot to get it into place without having to bend anything.

LX-incredible
08-19-2009, 09:44 AM
#1 cause of engine fires on these cars. Replace it. You can remove the line, take it to a place that works on hydraulics like hosepower and get the soft line replaced cheap.

2drSE-i
08-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Once you get the line out (This sucks...just fyi) you can take it to tractor supply, O'Reillys, or a number of other places that work on hydraulic lines. Mine was leaking like this for over a month, and i only lost around half a resivoir of fluid. Checked EVERY time i stopped to ensure that my car was not on fire, and, although i was lucky and it never caught fire on me, you NEED to know that power steering fluid is extremely flammable.

lostforawhile
08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Once you get the line out (This sucks...just fyi) you can take it to tractor supply, O'Reillys, or a number of other places that work on hydraulic lines. Mine was leaking like this for over a month, and i only lost around half a resivoir of fluid. Checked EVERY time i stopped to ensure that my car was not on fire, and, although i was lucky and it never caught fire on me, you NEED to know that power steering fluid is extremely flammable.yep exactly stupid stupid idea for honda to route it over the exaust manifold, on my wifes 98 civic i notice they don't do that anymore. I changed the fittings on my pump to AN, still have to change the one at the rack, Then i'll run aeroquip power steering hose with firebraid over where it crosses the manifold,plus a heat shield. I trust the aeroquip much more then anything else.

DBMaster
08-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I have changed mine twice in twenty years. The second time I decided it would be easier to feed the hose from the rack forward - and I was right. I was MUCH easier. Still, it's not a task for the timid. First replacement hose was $26 from NAPA. The second one was $140 from Majestic Honda. I think NAPA had it priced wrong for years.

ecogabriel
08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I have changed mine twice in twenty years. The second time I decided it would be easier to feed the hose from the rack forward - and I was right. I was MUCH easier. Still, it's not a task for the timid. First replacement hose was $26 from NAPA. The second one was $140 from Majestic Honda. I think NAPA had it priced wrong for years.

I thought about going from the rack too but I could not raise the car high enough. It turned out to be not THAT hard but in my case I gained extra space from the top by air filter box (EFI). It is not to be taken lightly though.
I was hunting for parts in the junkyard and came across a car with an almost new hose; it was not even dirty and still have some glue where the identification label was attached... for 7 bucks. All other cars had the old hose

nswst8
08-19-2009, 03:27 PM

Hey good buddy, how you doing? I sure don't miss the heat in Texas.

Heck for that price I would have bought 2 from NAPA. I was thinking about another honda hose but figured if it leaked once it was going to do it again. I believe heat saturation from the manifold caused the premature leak from this hose.

jasonrebellion
08-19-2009, 07:04 PM
the hose at autozone was only 29.99 and comes with a sleeve that goes over the soft part where it goes over the exhaust manifold

2drSE-i
08-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow, the new one i bought was nearly two hundred bucks from autozone.....guess i got ripped off lmao...

Dr_Snooz
08-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I recommend changing all the PS fluid when you replace that hose. Won't hurt to replace it every so often from then on either.

89lxisedan
08-19-2009, 10:58 PM
i had this happen, when they replaced my hhose, they removed the cross member and got to it

ecogabriel
08-20-2009, 12:11 PM
the hose at autozone was only 29.99 and comes with a sleeve that goes over the soft part where it goes over the exhaust manifold

O"reilly has one at the same price. That, or as some suggest get the original one re-fitted with a new hose -the pipes and connectors do not get worn out.

I did what Snooz suggested of getting rid of the old fluid at the same time of replacing the hose.

jasonrebellion
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
i try to avoid buying stuff from the dealer...i priced struts at the honda dealer here and they gave me a price of 120 bucks each. no coil spring, strut only. at autozone i could do all 4 for like 170. i just can't see spending that much just cause it says honda.

Tomisimo
08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
when it comes to engine, Honda dont put shit in their engines, verry few aftermarket parts meet requared Honda quality. So. But when it comes to suspenssion its another story.

DBMaster
08-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Howdy nswst8 and Doc!

Yeah, it's pretty miserable here right now. A/C compressor is getting squeakier at times, but it still cools! It's ten years old so I doubt it has much longer to go before it needs to be replaced again. The Honda hose I put on the car last year was a lot nicer than the NAPA hose, but the NAPA hose did last as long as the original OEM (ten years) so how can I complain about it? I'm going to replace the Sensatrac struts with a new set (free with warranty) just because the current ones have been on since 1998 and have almost 160,000 miles on them. I am sure to notice a bit nicer ride after that. I decided to wait until fall, though. No sense doing something like that in the heat if you don't have to.

Comment about the fluid; When you yank that pressure hose you lose just about all the fluid anyway, so yeah, go ahead and try to change it. You can't really get all the old stuff out because some is retained in that pleated filter in the bottom of the fluid reservoir. That's the filter we all got to see because Doc broke open a JY reservoir a while back and took a pic.

jasonrebellion
08-21-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm starting to really wonder wtf is up with my car...im doin the power steering hose right now, can't seem to get it off the rack, the nut came loose fairly easy since my car is rust free except for where the paint peeled on the trunk; but i can't get the metal end past the sway bar so i can remove it. also i noticed a little red wire running out of my engine bay fuse box and guess where it heads? Thats right! to my fuel pump....so I'm gonna take a guess and say my main relay doesn't work so the previous owner rigged it up. but any hoo, back to the PS. I keep reading where fuel injected has a sensor on the pressure hose? i can't find one anywhere on mine! is it somethin for 88 and up? thanks for any help or tips for getting this fuckin line out.

EDIT: since every one says itseasier to put the new one in from the bottom, can i just pull the old one out thru the bottom?

jasonrebellion
08-21-2009, 07:58 AM
so i got the hose out through the engine bay...took a lot of yanking, swearing, and bending of the original hose and metal fitting to do it......this is seriously a bitch to do.

Dr_Snooz
08-21-2009, 09:01 PM
so i got the hose out through the engine bay...took a lot of yanking, swearing, and bending of the original hose and metal fitting to do it......this is seriously a bitch to do.

Yep. That sounds about right. Welcome to hell.

DBMaster
08-22-2009, 09:43 PM
In the Lxi (at least in the 89) hose there is a threaded hole in the area where the rubber meets the metal on the rack end of the hose. You take the sensor from your old hose, put a new o-ring and some teflon tape on it and install it in the new hose. If your original hose didn't have the sensor you don't need to worry about it. It's a pressure switch that tells the ECU to bump the idle when you turn the wheel and the extra pressure on the P/S system would normally slow the idle slightly. The difference in idle speed is pretty small, almost not enough for Honda to have bothered with this "feature." The first hose I got at NAPA was universal. It came with a plug in the sensor hole you could go with or without the sensor.

Rendon LX-i
08-22-2009, 11:38 PM
mine was working like a dream...but with the ramhorn there was no way i deleted the p/s and and its easy to turn not hard at all...i still have fuild in the rack so it wont dry up..i just looped to 2 hard lines and cut the main pressure line that goes around the tranny around the back. just used a civic clutch resivoir and bam done.....just a taught.

kostiakot
08-23-2009, 03:18 AM

jasonrebellion
08-23-2009, 08:11 AM

^^^ SPAM bot?

2drSE-i
08-23-2009, 08:49 AM
^^^ SPAM bot?

:kekeke:

lostforawhile
08-23-2009, 09:01 AM

I saw that this morning and thats what i thought, the three headed troll yesterday, and now spam bots

lostforawhile
08-23-2009, 09:03 AM
In the Lxi (at least in the 89) hose there is a threaded hole in the area where the rubber meets the metal on the rack end of the hose. You take the sensor from your old hose, put a new o-ring and some teflon tape on it and install it in the new hose. If your original hose didn't have the sensor you don't need to worry about it. It's a pressure switch that tells the ECU to bump the idle when you turn the wheel and the extra pressure on the P/S system would normally slow the idle slightly. The difference in idle speed is pretty small, almost not enough for Honda to have bothered with this "feature." The first hose I got at NAPA was universal. It came with a plug in the sensor hole you could go with or without the sensor.
you could also take one without the sensor and use the sensor and a relay to switch on the idle boost solonoid for the AC, this would bump your idle when it detected pressure.

ecogabriel
08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
you could also take one without the sensor and use the sensor and a relay to switch on the idle boost solonoid for the AC, this would bump your idle when it detected pressure.

That's a good one!

jasonrebellion
08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
well i guess i forgot to update this..i got the hose back and lucked out cause the new hose doesn't mate up as easy as the original...i pretty much pressed it in when i tightened the screws...i didn't know if the pump was any good or not...so iwas all like well fuck..smooth move....but i lucked out and it works perfectly...i bled the steering but for some reason it didn't come on immediately, but instead when i left the house mad cause ithought it didn't work i made a right turn and almost smacked into a building it was so easy to turn suddenly.... its been 4 or 5 days and no leaks so thats good i guess..next job is valve cover gasket....its literally in pieces and hanging down fro mthe valve cover....been leaking oil and smelling like ass ever since i got the car....any tips on that?

Dr_Snooz
08-25-2009, 07:54 PM
well i guess i forgot to update this..i got the hose back and lucked out cause the new hose doesn't mate up as easy as the original...i pretty much pressed it in when i tightened the screws...i didn't know if the pump was any good or not...so iwas all like well fuck..smooth move....but i lucked out and it works perfectly...i bled the steering but for some reason it didn't come on immediately, but instead when i left the house mad cause ithought it didn't work i made a right turn and almost smacked into a building it was so easy to turn suddenly.... its been 4 or 5 days and no leaks so thats good i guess..next job is valve cover gasket....its literally in pieces and hanging down fro mthe valve cover....been leaking oil and smelling like ass ever since i got the car....any tips on that?

$20 and 10 minutes. Fix it now.

jasonrebellion
08-26-2009, 07:30 AM
yeah i didn't think it would be that hard