PDA

View Full Version : how often should I start my car? (parked)

jonny_warkentin
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I took the insurance off my 89 LX (carb'd) so its parked in my driveway. How often should I start it up/run it? It's got about a 1/4 tank of gas left in it right now, if that matters.

Pico
08-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I say at least once a week

ghettogeddy
08-18-2009, 09:27 PM
ya
i just put a new battery in mine and it still dies pretty fast

Civic Accord Honda
08-18-2009, 09:43 PM
just start it once a week and your be good

ghettogeddy
08-18-2009, 09:43 PM
also if its gona be sitting for a while i think you might want to put a gas additive in there

charliekuney
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Don't forget to drive it (if possible) every once in a while (about once a month).

Hauntd ca3
08-18-2009, 11:28 PM
as ghetto said, put a stabiliser , as well as a few more gallons of gas.
start it and warm it up once every week or so and drive it round the block just to keep lube in all the trans bearings etc

carotman
08-19-2009, 05:08 AM
I say it depends for how long it's parked there, how's the weather and on what surface it's parked.

I store my car every year for almost 6 months and I never start it during that time.

Cold starts is what will wear an engine.

lostforawhile
08-19-2009, 07:11 AM
mines been in the garage for over two years,i was going to pull and clean the tank anyway, plus larger fuel lines, doesn't matter about the keihin because it's being replaced anyway,thats why it's been in the garage. once the tank is cleaned and lines replaced, new plugs,change the oil, coolant is already drained, marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes and hand turned over to make sure valves aren't stuck, battery is being changed over to the odyssey, so doesn't matter about it, crank over with no ignition until oil pressure shows, reconnect ignition, fresh gas,fire it up and start tuning carbs. Oh my tires were toast before i parked it so no loss there.

ecogabriel
08-19-2009, 09:28 AM
mines been in the garage for over two years,i was going to pull and clean the tank anyway, plus larger fuel lines, doesn't matter about the keihin because it's being replaced anyway,thats why it's been in the garage. once the tank is cleaned and lines replaced, new plugs,change the oil, coolant is already drained, marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes and hand turned over to make sure valves aren't stuck, battery is being changed over to the odyssey, so doesn't matter about it, crank over with no ignition until oil pressure shows, reconnect ignition, fresh gas,fire it up and start tuning carbs. Oh my tires were toast before i parked it so no loss there.

Also add a stabilizer to the fuel as it was suggested here.

Tomisimo
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree with Carot, I had my car sitting for 2 years, I started it once now end then. every 3 months or so, and only in mild temperature during winter.. when temp were above freezing. Dont warry, just keep it running.

lostforawhile
08-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Also add a stabilizer to the fuel as it was suggested here.
well yea,but when it's ready to run again, i'm pulling and cleaning the tank anyway,so it doesn't matter whats in there now. once it's running it'll get driven often enough to not have problems.

jonny_warkentin
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Great - thanks guys! Any suggestions on what fuel stabilizer to add? I've never used the stuff before.

russiankid
08-24-2009, 04:51 PM
When my car sits in the winter I start it up once a week and drive it.

w261w261
08-25-2009, 05:09 AM
Fuel Stabilizer is a must, most people use Sta-Bil. The gas nowadays is not the same stuff even compared to 5 years ago. My brother had a 4 cyl Honda motorcycle and left it sitting for 8 months...the carbs were junked up after that, and he sold the bike because he didn't want to pay $800 for a rebuild.

Starting it up every week or two is good, but keep it running long enough to drive off the condensation from the oil. This means letting it get up to temp and hold it there for several minutes.

Make sure the coolant is nice and green, not rusty. Some people put cars on jacks so as to take the load off the tires and supposedly prevent flat-spotting.

SOHC
09-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I Stored my car for a year and never put it on Jacks, never had the flat spot happen. I just started it every 2 weeks ir so.

MacWorld
09-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I agree with Carot, I had my car sitting for 2 years, I started it once now end then. every 3 months or so, and only in mild temperature during winter.. when temp were above freezing. Dont warry, just keep it running.

you agree with him but say the opposite?! :confused: