PDA

View Full Version : Power locks?

LXiHatch88
08-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I've got one of those remote start systems sitting around from a car I used to have. Basically, it has a key fob that starts the car remotely, locks and unlocks the doors and if you hold the lock button down, it'll lock the doors and roll up the windows, and vice-versa if you hold down the unlock button. My '88 LXi hatchback has power windows, but I was wondering if these cars ever came with power locks, and how hard it would be to add them to a car that didn't come with them?

Figured since I already have the thing laying around, it would make a nice addition to the hatch since it is going to be a daily driver.

Thanks.

labeledsk8r
08-19-2009, 09:36 PM
the coupe and hatches never came with them, you will have to add custom acuators to do this. takes a little bit of work but i know a few people on here have done it before

ghettogeddy
08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
real easy actually there about 20 a piece and you have to take the door panel off and mount the actuator to the door from a and to the lock and there you go

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90048702&listingid=39348263
you might be able to find them cheaper just look around

charliekuney
08-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Then, with a key fob and power locks, I would find a sedan of the same color and take the rear door handles, if you're not going to use your locks, ever. They provide a cleaner look (no key holes).

Question: where did you get said system? I've always wanted one that rolls my windows up and down (they take too long, and I'm lazy).

Do you think it would work for a power sunroof, too?

ghettogeddy
08-19-2009, 10:28 PM
if you do the handles thing your def gona want aether external battery posts or some way to get into the car cause if the batter dies thats gona suck lol
but it is a hatch so i guess it wont be that bad lol

LXiHatch88
08-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Then, with a key fob and power locks, I would find a sedan of the same color and take the rear door handles, if you're not going to use your locks, ever. They provide a cleaner look (no key holes).

Question: where did you get said system? I've always wanted one that rolls my windows up and down (they take too long, and I'm lazy).

Do you think it would work for a power sunroof, too?

Got it off ebay a few years ago for like 70 bucks. I'm sure you could probably wire a sunroof into it also with like a relay or something. It also automatically locks the doors when the car goes above 5 mph, and unlocks them when you stop and shut the engine off. Just have to hook a wire to the VSS, which seems to be in the gauge cluster on these cars. It can also pop the trunk, though on my hatch I'm not sure what to do about that. Maybe if I get three of those actuators, I can hook one up to open the hatch as well.

if you do the handles thing your def gona want aether external battery posts or some way to get into the car cause if the batter dies thats gona suck lol

Guess if the battery dies, I can just go in through the hatch. LOL

Thanks for the info about the sedan rear handles. My parts car is a wrecked '89 LXi 4 door with good rear handles, but they are green instead of blue. Guess it won't matter though, by time I replace the front and rear bumpers, fenders, hood and right door, the car will already be several different colors before I get it painted. LOL

charliekuney
08-21-2009, 07:20 AM
You're probably going to want the handles out when they're painted, so you get the whole thing painted. As for the "hatch-popping"; I think you would need really strong struts, or a powerful actuator.

Or, we can just go through the trunk/hatch. But, there were some sedans that didn't have folding seats, weren't there?

Edit: Just look around for Montreal Blue Metallic DX sedans. They're not that hard to find.

lostforawhile
08-21-2009, 10:36 AM
have to be aftermarket, the lock actuators bolt right to your existing door latches down in the doors, but the hatchbacks don't have the notch in the door beams that gives the clearance needed for the actuators. so you have to go aftermarket, dumb design error by honda if you ask me,it would have been easy to put the same notch in the hatch door beams,and give them power locks.