PDA

View Full Version : Missing/Sputtering/Loss of Power. Help!!!!

Jared
08-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I have a 1989 Accord LXi 5 speed EFI. So here's my problem~ I recently started experiencing some bogging or loss of power when I get on the gas. It's like all the power (HP) is lost and the car sputters, no backfiring, or chokes and it takes a moment to catch up. I haven't been able to narrow down any consistency to it (is it worse when its cold or warm, both car or climate?), but at times it seems the car is catching up to the RPM's. I've had an idling problem for a couple years now, but it hasn't been bothersome. Usually I can restart the car and it will correct itself. I get the impression the sputtering problem I have is exhaust related, maybe the catalytic converter, but I'm not 100% sure. I've replaced the Fuel Filter as well as the Distributor and Rotor. I thought about plugs and wires next because replacing the Filter, cap, and rotor seemed to improve the problem, but now the problem is back within a couple weeks. Any ideas as to what I'm dealing with here? The car is a great car, no doubt, and I want to keep it around. It's just to the point where little things are starting to go wrong and that can get expensive if i keep taking it to a mechanic. I'm not a bad garage mechanic and these 3rd Gen's aren't hard to work on so any insight anyone can give me to alleviate this problem would be a great help!

What do I need to fix/replace?
*I am getting loss of power.
*What is the idle problem I've had.

Demon1024
08-20-2009, 09:46 PM
lol i started thinking cat halfway threw too.
Check your plug gaps as least if you dont replace them.
check you coil with an ohm meter
check that stuff out first

Jared
08-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Coil with Ohm meter? So you're referring to the ignition coil I assume. I'll take a look at that. I imagine you are addressing my idle problem with the coil and ohm meter. Both are good points and i hadn't thought to check those. What should the meter read? I'll elaborate briefly on the idle issue. It's never fluctuated on the idle (up and down, up and down) it's always idle at about 3k then dropped to about 500-1k. When I'd start driving then engage the clutch the idle shoots up to 3k again until I come to a complete stop. Then it drops back down. Like I said i've always just restarted the car and the problem is remedied. The thought crossed my mind that maybe my current sputtering problem is related to the idle problem. Is that possible? Also, the sputtering issue feels like there is back pressure preventing the car from accelerating, which is why I'm leaning toward the catalytic converter as the problem. I don't want to drop $100 bucks on a cat, put it in, and then find out that wasn't the problem. I appreciate your feedback, it's a big help. Are there any other possibilities besides a Cat that I should be prepared for? Thanks for your help!

Tomisimo
08-21-2009, 05:04 AM
it sounds to me as your bensin system failing, I had the same problem, I cleaned out the tank, and changed fuel finter, problem was gone.

w261w261
08-21-2009, 07:45 AM
You could try disconnecting the cat and see if it makes a difference. Might not do it at night or around the neighbors. Also, getting the cat off is a bitch without an air wrench, because of the three bolts (rusty) holding it on each end, one is up towards the body and hard to get leverage on with a regular wrench.

Dr_Snooz
08-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Is the ECU flashing any codes?

Jared
08-22-2009, 12:35 AM
It wasn't before, but I checked today and it's saying my Primary O2 sensor is bad. That leads me to ask if the O2 sensor will cause my problem or if it's out as a result of the initial problem? Trial an error I suppose. I'll replace the sensor and see what happens.

Dr_Snooz
08-22-2009, 06:41 AM
I was inclined initially to think it was a fuel delivery problem, but if you turn off the key and the problem goes away, that's a pretty good indicator that some electronic component somewhere is going haywire. Let us know if the O2 sensor does the trick.

Xulfiqar
09-22-2009, 12:32 AM
the ECU will register an O2 code if your fuel goes crazy lean somewhere in the rev range, lean enough to sputter and bog down - check your fuel pump pressure