PDA

View Full Version : 87 accord still throwing a tantrom.

mountain_geez
08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok I've now changed fusebox, fuelpump, 3 different fuel cutoff relays, filters again, stage 1 vac removal, taken tophat off carb and cleaned floatbowl and everywhere else I can get, tightened up venturi's, checked fuel pressure and also checked timing. This thing still will run at idle for about 5min (cold) and once it warms up will simply die. Watching the float bowl it will just drain fuel from there and not refill to indicate a stuck float but it doesn't seem to be? Could really use some more ideas on this if able.
Also new plugs/wires/oilchange and coolant flush. Compression is equal on all cylinders and fine.

To me it almost seems electrical just as if something is getting hot and stops working. Is their some sort of ECM under the dash or anything that could control anything? I've verified with timing light that spark is still present even when fuel isn't. Is their any wiring under or around the dash area mainly stereo area that could cause any problems with fuel delivery because my stereo was literally pulled out by the previous owner plastic and all. Something that looks like an ECM is laying on the center hump.

Ohh if I crank the key back and forth 10 times (priming) and give a little gas it'll fire up and run until the float bowl empties again. If I knew for sure that a weber would fix any problems I'm having I would just do that and forget it however I don't want to just throw money at something that causes issues.
I appreciate any help with this also.

mountain_geez
08-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Is it possible that even after partially draining the tank and a clean new strainer on fuel pump that the first fuel filter is getting clogged pretty quickly? Then after it cools it settles for a while?

Would a barely functional tach give any clues to anything? :dunno:

mountain_geez
08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Am I just not using the right language to get a reply or am I being to specific with problems?

I've just put a rebuilt carb from a friends running 87 and the exact same thing happens. Car will run after cycling key then die when the float bowl empties. Float bowl not refilling. I need ideas.

Civic Accord Honda
08-22-2009, 05:09 PM
hmm that is an odd problem... when the car stalls is there still fuel flowing from the fuel line?
and yes the car does have a ecu under the seat but i believe on carb cars it just controls the black box

mountain_geez
08-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I've sat at the pump until it dies and yes it's still running fine. I was initially hoping I just had 3 bad fuel pump solenoids that were bad but doesn't appear so.

The fuel still flows into the filter but the bowl doesn't continue filling.

Dr_Snooz
08-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I think it's Weber time bro.

mountain_geez
08-22-2009, 11:26 PM
did the 32 36 or 38 come stock on any vehicles? Trying to save myself a little money if possible. I'm fairly broke and need this damn thing running.

mephi
08-23-2009, 07:29 AM
You'll need to get an adapter...They run something like $100, and you'll also have to modify the linkage. You do get to remove the black box though.

Oh...What about the fuel cut off solenoid in the carb?

mountain_geez
08-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I know I'll need an adapter I've pretty much read these forums through twice looking for things. They're 47 bucks. I just need to know if the carb can be found on anything. Also read holley 5200? Dunno that I want to upgrade to a substandard carb though.

Fuel cutoff solenoid is under the dash on fusebox and it's brand new along with fuse box. The thing on the carb could that cause the floatbowl to not refill? I'm gonna try again to hook straight from 12v to it and see if it at least stays running.