PDA

View Full Version : '82 Accord Weber conversion smoke ???

schatzi
08-21-2009, 01:16 PM
So I just finished up a relatively easy 32/36 Weber conversion on my friends' 1982 Accord.

Only snafu I ran into was the radius of the original throttle linkage was slightly shorter than the linkage provided me by Weber. A little drillwork after some measurements and I got the throttle linked up so the butterflies open all the way.

Upon it's maiden voyage, I took the Accord round the corner after a warmup in the driveway, and noted a smokey smell when I came to a stop.
Upon arriving back at the house, I observed a bit of wispy blue smoke coming out the tail pipe, and it smells like oil.

Prior to the coversion, there was no smoke, and no smells with this car. Just lousy acceleration (old Keihins ya know)

Now that I converted the carb and completed the install (nothing is uncapped or not hooked up) it smokes blue out the tailpipe. I'm stumped. I thought possibly valve guides were worn, and perhaps the vacuum characteristics have changed, which is permitting oil to seep down the guides, but who knows?

Any ideas?

I'm going to try a compression check next.

schatzi
08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
well. obviously it's been smoking before, as the compression check turned up what seems to be leaky valve stem seals or maybe worn valve guides. Wouldn't think it was possible on a engine with only 110,000, but, apparently so! Anyways, disregard guys, I figured it out!

2ndGenGuy
08-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Glad you got it figured out. Could be that before you got it the oil wasn't changed very regularly. That will cause premature wear for sure. Could have been run hot and hard too.

mephi
08-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Mine had worn valve guides when I bought it, and the Weber definitely made it smoke a little bit more. I won't miss the smoke screen on cold morning starts. I will miss the quick acceleration and great handling though.