PDA

View Full Version : 6x9 question

87accordlxi
05-09-2002, 11:43 AM
im looking for some new 6x9's for the rear. i have 3way pioneer 6.5's up front which produce a nice high and midrange. i want some new 6x9's for the back. now, what are some good speakers (give me model #'s if you can) that can kick out some nice bass? dont even bother saying subs because im not going out and buying an amp and subs and a box, only to have 1/3 of my trunk space wasted. i want loud, clear bass with no distortion that can still rattle the rear view mirror. price isnt really a factor

dXsquared
05-09-2002, 11:52 AM
go with pioneers. i think they are nice. PPI makes some sweet 6 by 9's. just shop around and ask for some demos. and about bass, maybe you can get a Bazzoka Tube. They are hella good and they are small. just a thought
Travis

89accordlxi
05-10-2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by 87accordlxi
dont even bother saying subs because im not going out and buying an amp and subs and a box, only to have 1/3 of my trunk space wasted. i want loud, clear bass with no distortion that can still rattle the rear view mirror. price isnt really a factor

Dude!! you are totally contradicting yourself. Loud, clear bass with no distortion that will rattle rear view mirror out of a 6x9... I don't think so. Then you say price isn't a factor, but you don't want to buy a sub, amp and box. It doesn't make sense man. :huh:

Unless however; you use your 6x9's to only produce bass. Meaning, using a crossover so that they will only play bass. Then you might be able to get what you want out of them. The reason I say this is because if you want the loud clear bass that you are talking about, you will have to turn the volume up pretty loud and chances are, the vocals will probably start to distort before the bass does.. then there goes the clearness. Plus if you do this with a 3-way or even 2-way 6x9 you will only be using 1/2 or 1/3 of the speaker since you are cutting out the vocals and highs.
In reality, how much space would a 10 sub in a .75-1.0 cu. foot box take up. What are you planning on putting in your trunk anyway, (a dead body)???? In the end, you will do what ever you want, but I just suggest getting a sub and leaving out the rear speakers if you already have good front speakers.
Peace out!!

vtec11
05-13-2002, 07:25 AM
if you get decent speakers, you'll need power to drive the bass. Even for 6x9's.

If you don't want to add a sub, get a 4 channel amp, to drive some 6.5's in the front and 6x9's in the back.

I am using polk EX2560's upfront (6.5" components) and EX693a (6x9's) in the back, driven by a rockford 600a4 (75x4). Even after taking the sub out they still pound like crazy.

87accordlxi
05-13-2002, 09:19 AM
actually im not contradicting myself at all. the pioneers i have back there now rattle the rear view mirror and produce nice bass for my taste. they were all i needed. unfortunately, i think the right rear one is blown. im just lookin for soemthing maybe a bit more expensive that will last longer and still put out the bass. i'll probably stick with pioneers.

and i do need space in the trunk. i'll be moving home for the summer and i'll be needing all the trunk space that i can get. also, i'll need the space for when i go on weekend trips. i dont see the point in having a box back there when i can get the amount of bass that i prefer out of 6x9's. and say i spend 200 bucks on a pair of excellent rear speakers...its still less that what i would pay for a sub, a box, and an amp.

shepherd79
05-13-2002, 12:10 PM
hey man,
I think you should look at this,
http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info1a?p_item_name=SPS-6939S&p_category=80&p_subcategory=100&p_main=10
they are ok, but i think what you want is this:
http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info1a?p_item_name=SPR-694A&p_category=80&p_subcategory=90&p_main=10
I found them in Circuit City. Don't remember how much. But they sounded soooooo goood.:D

89accordlxi
05-13-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 87accordlxi
actually im not contradicting myself at all. the pioneers i have back there now rattle the rear view mirror and produce nice bass for my taste. they were all i needed. unfortunately, i think the right rear one is blown. im just lookin for soemthing maybe a bit more expensive that will last longer and still put out the bass. i'll probably stick with pioneers.

That's all cool dude. I wasn't trying to rip on 6x9s or anything but I just prefer subs myself. I'm just trying to save you some trouble. Once upon a time, I also had some 6x9s(250 W kenwoods). They did produce good bass that could shake the rearview mirrors. Then they blew, just like your pioneers.... 6x9s just aren't made to produce that much bass for extended periods of time. Then I got a sub and it totally changed my music listening experience....
I'm out...

87AccordsterLx
05-13-2002, 10:24 PM
well I am also a huge fan of subs myself.... I have two 10's in a sealed box powered by a fos. punch... all I have to add is this... go out and by a decient sub (one) a 10" or 12" it hardly takes up any room at all....spend around $150 for the sub and the box... go out and pick up a $100 amp... in some cases you can get an ok one for cheaper... it doesnt have to be some expensive namebrand or even extreamly powerful... a 200x2 (bridged)/ or even a 200x1 would be more then enough.. you will be sooooo much happier... trust me it's definitly worth it... it's 10 times better then the speakers bass feedback.... plus if you do that then you can turn down the bass on your speakers a little and get a really nice crisp sound out of your mids/highs... I have 10 speakers total... 2 tweeters, four 6's, two 6x9s, 2 10's.. the 6x9's are between the 6's on the rear deck... believe me when I say that a good sub will increase your sound setup 10 times over.....
~NATHAN~

TeKKnoTeKK
05-13-2002, 11:33 PM
well he obviously doesn't want a sub for specific reasons.....I know, you know, we all know he could get better sound out of a sub. But with that sound comes a price and less room in the trunk. You may get ok bass out of 6x9's, but that is not what they are made for.....they are made for mids and highs, too much bass will obviously blow them. If you just want some high quality component speakers I would suggest some Infinities, awesome quality and power handling....at a price, but definetly better than pioneer if you are willing to pay it. Don't go with alpine, I had some once and they sounded like shit, pretty expensive too.