PDA

View Full Version : best honda engine

gtmst3
08-24-2009, 10:30 AM
what is you guys opinion on the best affordable inline 4 honda engine?

markmdz89hatch
08-24-2009, 10:38 AM
A20a1/3

You know this Chris.

It's got decent power, not prohibitively heavy, they're dirt cheap, and it's arguably the most reliable motor Honda has EVER produced.

2oodoor
08-24-2009, 10:53 AM
arguably for sure, I argree howver.runner ups B16 and F22

Nafs Asdf
08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
B20 getting no love?

gtmst3
08-24-2009, 11:55 AM
see the thing is you cant get big power out of an a20 im looking for like between 200 and 300 reliable HP and around 200 ft lbs torque for not a whole lot of money i only want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on an engine ill b more serious about buying one next year but im getting my reacerch and planning in now

markmdz89hatch
08-24-2009, 12:03 PM
see the thing is you cant get big power out of an a20 im looking for like between 200 and 300 reliable HP and around 200 ft lbs torque for not a whole lot of money i only want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on an engine ill b more serious about buying one next year but im getting my reacerch and planning in now

With how handy you and your dad are, you can keep that thing with bone-stock internals, toss on the efi parts, swap the ecu, and grab an old turbo off a volvo or saab at the junkyard. Work out some plumbing, then you're on the road. All that can be done for that few hundred $$ and you'll be able to scale that up as $$ and time allows (ie. building a better bottom end to handle more boost down the road, upgrading turbo, upgrading throttle-body, injectors, etc, all in your own time).

gtmst3
08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
how much harder is it to turbo a carbed car? like mine

2oodoor
08-24-2009, 01:12 PM
B20 getting no love?

plenty of love, he said affordable engines ....lol

you would swap to efi with any other engine anyway, normally. But why be normal? lol I swaped in a B20 and turned it carbed. Not reaching your 200 hp goal though but I think it is achievable with some radical head/valve work and bigger carbs, stand alone ign. EDIS, and beefed bottom rotating assembly.

I read the question in general terms, most affordable and "best" of the best.
You could go H22 instead of F22 but it will cost more. B16, while I wouldnt want to try and find one to buy now, but at one time it was affordable and a hot ticket.
A20A3 is a good choice for your goal as stated, like Mark implied. Absolutley

gtmst3
08-24-2009, 01:34 PM
i did mean it in general terms what about the k series? my plan is to buy another accord preferable lxi and put the best honda engine i can get into it with out extensive modification im not worried about fabrication but i dont want to go chopping up the car. im not to worried about time but i dont want to spend like 1000 dollars on an engine i dont mind paying like a few hundred dollars on just a block and slowly build it but my reason for this thread is cuz if i go and spend the money i dont want to do it twice im looking for help getting a plan set

Joay
08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
what about the k series?

i dont want to spend like 1000 dollars on an engine
I don't know how you could touch 200whp for less than a grand wihout using nitrous and starting some fireworks.

Are you planning to buy another Accord and an engine to put in it for less than $1000? IMO the best bang for your buck out there would be a 90-93 with a rebuilt F22 and a bigass turbo.

2oodoor
08-24-2009, 02:06 PM
true Joay, 200 torque would be just outside reasonable cost using an A series.

K series, are they not for rwd and quite pricey ?

There is a book, honda and acura performance by motorbooks that you should get for a bio on Honda engines. Great book.

If i were on a faster pc now I would link it for you. lol

Im thinking a hybrid F22 build with some H22 goodies would be a good consideration for you since the two have a lot of compatability and aftermarket. Lot of good parts out there in the open private market. The economy and busted dreams left plenty of basket case projects out there for the taking.

Civic Accord Honda
08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
i still consider the A20A and the old CVCC engines the most reliable engines built even tho i have moved on to the F side lol... which seems to also be a really good engine good power and ive seen allot on cb7tuner with high miles (300k+)

gtmst3
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
no i want another 3 gee but im gonna get a piece of crap real cheap for a project car. engine is were all the money is going to be spent thats y im getting a cheap car its gonna b a sleeper. wat about an h22a1 VTEC out of a 4th gen lude. maby go turbo. im just looking to pick up the engine cheap idc if i spend 300 on just a block i just want to know somthing thats readily available so wen i drop all my cash on the block there will still be parts around months later. i dont really know how to explain it. i just want to start a reall solit project somthing realible somthing not easy somthing no one would expect out of a 3 gee

gtmst3
08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
thats why i want to go big

wprocomp
08-24-2009, 02:45 PM
sell your car and buy a bike

Civic Accord Honda
08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
get a 5.0 no one would suspect that !

Joay
08-24-2009, 03:23 PM
no i want another 3 gee but im gonna get a piece of crap real cheap for a project car. engine is were all the money is going to be spent thats y im getting a cheap car its gonna b a sleeper. wat about an h22a1 VTEC out of a 4th gen lude. maby go turbo. im just looking to pick up the engine cheap idc if i spend 300 on just a block i just want to know somthing thats readily available so wen i drop all my cash on the block there will still be parts around months later. i dont really know how to explain it. i just want to start a reall solit project somthing realible somthing not easy somthing no one would expect out of a 3 gee
Here's the short story: the only engine other than an A-series that will fit in a 3G (without custom mounts) is a very difficult-to-find B20A. And even if you got one it wouldn't be that powerful. If you want to do a swap, plan on dropping a lot of money for the used, stock motor and the mounts to hold it.

If you got an H22, you could probably scrape together a junkyard turbo setup to push 250hp (briefly) but you still have no way of getting it in the car. A 90-93 Accord, however, can accept an H22 with stock mounts. And the F22 that comes in those has thick, juicy iron sleeves that hold boost well. I don't want to discourage you from building a nasty 3G, but I think you should look around and see just how little is out there before you spend your hard-earned money on a very ambitious project.

gtmst3
08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
what about a turbo h22 or b20? i was also thinking like a paxton novi supercharged a20 b20 or even an h22? what do you think

gtmst3
08-24-2009, 03:40 PM
ok i just read your post joay thanks im very handy and my dad is a machinist so i should be able to handle custom mounts i know a h22 is pushing it for our cars but i just wanted to know what would be the most powerful and reliable set up

halxi
08-24-2009, 05:25 PM
A stock internal h22 will hold boost to 300whp no problem on a good tune. However, if you want to upgrade the bottom end, you're limited on piston options if you do not want to sleeve the block. As the h22 has FRM sleeves. Mahle makes a good low comp piston that is compatible with the h22 cylinder wall material.

Not trying to hate on you, but your goal is relatively unreasonable.

You can have cheap, unreliable, and fast.
You can have fast, and reliable, but it's not cheap.
You can't have cheap, fast, reliable.

Getting to the 300whp margin on a $1000 budget is going to be pretty hard to do. Even an h22 will run you at least $1200 for the longblock/tranny, then you'll have to do things such as mounts, wiring, axles, fuel pump, oil, coolant, etc. It all adds up pretty quick.

An H will be the best bang for your buck hands down, especially if you can make mounts for it and figure out axles and such as well. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, definitely do not look into K series. To put a K into a civic, with the cheapest, bottom dollar so/so parts, it still runs about $4500-$5300.

Joay
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
ok i just read your post joay thanks im very handy and my dad is a machinist so i should be able to handle custom mounts i know a h22 is pushing it for our cars but i just wanted to know what would be the most powerful and reliable set up
Well it can definitely be shoehorned in there, look for some of Tommy's posts from... Malaysia I think. They've welded all kind of stuff in over there. I still don't think $1000 is a rational budget, but if you somehow find a motor and get it in/running for that much you can always bolt stuff on later.

Nafs Asdf
08-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Be the first(?) to have a V6 3g, swap a C series out of an older legend. ;)

Civic Accord Honda
08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Be the first(?) to have a V6 3g, swap a C series out of an older legend. ;)

c27 ftw

Steve_Si
08-25-2009, 12:08 AM
One of these would go well in a 3G :D

Pity about the price

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Honda/Engines/auction-237046207.htm

Hauntd ca3
08-25-2009, 01:58 AM
just the m2b4 gear box is worth $800 steve.i want one for my sir
3500 aint all that bad of a price for a euro r motor,box,loom and ecu.
but back too subject
since it has been shown that an h22a will fit in a 3g thats a good way to go.
turbo,d and tuned with a good aftermarket ecu will hose 300whp at maybe 7 psi.
just go with the latest h22a you can find, as the early ones in the 5g accord and 4g ludes have smaller crank journals than the later ones

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 04:48 AM
so I think I understand here.

...Chris, it sounds like $300 is just your budget now for a 'motor' and you're capping your initial expense at $1000. But it sounds like that's just a budget you set for yourself to go an get a block and begin some sort of build. ...as in, the $600 pistons, and $500 rods, and $100 rings, $100 rod bearings, $100 main bearings, $300 to deck/hone/hot-tank/(maybe) sleeve your block, etc is all just an expense to be taken on as you're building this. If that's the case, then yes, you should be able to get a bare H block for $300, and MAYBE a bone-stock H shortblock (block, rods, pistons, crank) for 1K, and if you're REAL lucky, full H longblock, but that's just about impossible to find one legit for that price.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, or maybe we misunderstood your question/goal.

...but the 200 hp (or very close) can be attained with the addition of a turbo on a pretty much bone stock A20 shortblock. If you wanted to try your hand at P&P'ing a head, you can get one for peanuts, and can get it flowing pretty well (for a single-cam). ...and yes, some scrounging at the junkyard can net you a turbo, intercooler, and some other bits that should help you out, and you should be able to do it all for very close to that initial $1000.

Can you turbo a carb'd car? Absolutely. The trouble you run into though is timing advance/retard and air/fuel delivery. As long as your carb can flow VERY well, and is 'oversized' for a traditional 2.0L motor, it should be able to work well enough. If you did the EDIS system (using a crank pulley like what your dad made for me), you can get a MegaJolt to assist on the ignition timing changes based on rpm/engine load.

There are also "top-hat" options for carbs, wherein the turbo is not in its traditional location, but instead right where your supercharger would be. Turbo is traditionally a 'pull' on the exhaust side trying to yank the air through the motor. Supers traditionally are belt driven, and shove the air through the motor from the intake side. If you did the "top-hat" style for the turbo, you set it up on a snorkel on the intake side and it would act just as a centrifugal super, but no belt-drive.

gtmst3
08-25-2009, 05:26 AM
yea thanks mark thats exactly what i meant i think i might lean towards a h22 however what if i found a b20a block for like 200$

Joay
08-25-2009, 05:55 AM
There are 2 B20As, you have to be sure you've got the correct one. 88-91 Prelude B20A5/B21A1 will not work, and they're not that great anyway (oil journals suck and they let go of rod #3 a lot). If you found an Accord B20A, it would fit, but again you'd be setting your ceiling a lot lower. You'd lose the plethora of aftermarket support for the H22 and you'd be spending a lot more money to make the same power.

That said, I would love to see someone build a crazy all-motor B20A.

gtmst3
08-25-2009, 06:06 AM
ok then how about a F22B1 out of a 1996 HONDA ACCORD LX? or a 1998 V-Tec H22a4

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 06:38 AM
ok then how about a F22B1 out of a 1996 HONDA ACCORD LX? or a 1998 V-Tec H22a4

The F series is basically the same block/casting as the H, with one MAJOR difference. ...DOHC. The F is a single cam, and the H is dual. The bottom line for power is being able to breath. The more air that can be taken in, the more fuel to be added, and the more power to be made. (Obviously compression, timing, etc, etc, etc, etc, is a key though.) The F has about 1/2 to 1/3 the cfm of the H. The H is also piled high with aftermarket support.

I guess it comes down to which direction you want to take a motor. The H does work well with boost, but with a modest goal of 200-250, a boosted F will definitely get you there and be quite reliable if done well. An H will take you places in the all-motor world, where the F will fall short. ...but again with the modest power goals, both will get you where you want to be.

...is there any reason you're bent on trying to get those numbers out of the A?

...the other issue with the B20A (native to the 3G outside the US) is availability of parts. Good luck getting your hands on a 5-spd tranny. I can get you a full longblock locally for $400, and it's said to be a nice running motor. ...but again, tranny, different story all together.

Joay
08-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Mounts would be the same for either one, so the H22 would pay out better down the road. The only reason I suggested a turbo F before is because the F22 is cheaper, doesn't have FRM sleeves, and it comes in lots of Accords that are also available and inexpensive.

gtmst3
08-25-2009, 07:03 AM
well mark i could go a20 but i really just want to go as big as possible so if i can get my hands on a cheap h22 im going to but if not i thing ill just stick to a boosted a20 like you said. thanks for you guys help. i would go with the f22 but i really want a dohc vtec so i think ill just keep my eye out and wait like i said im in no rush

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 07:12 AM
screw it, I say got with a VG30DE-TT. <YUM>

There's really no reason you couldn't go outside the Honda realm either.

gtmst3
08-25-2009, 07:37 AM
lol i want to stick honda how about this?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230370382955&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

stat1K
08-25-2009, 08:30 AM
i hate the f-single cams personally but i've seen some good power from them.

i say go with an H, show everyone that it's not as hard as they think it is... DO IT! :)

or just go with a 350 for the wow factor.

labeledsk8r
08-25-2009, 08:48 AM
if your tight on cash you can allways do a F block with a H head this will give you the best of both worlds but is more for a turbo setup f blocks are very cheep as i have seen them go for 40 bucks, and heads for h's arnt that bad if you know were to look

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
if your tight on cash you can allways do a F block with a H head this will give you the best of both worlds but is more for a turbo setup f blocks are very cheep as i have seen them go for 40 bucks, and heads for h's arnt that bad if you know were to look

I didn't know that. Has it been confirmed that the H head will bolt directly to the F without any modifications?

That's like the LS/VTEC B frankenstein.

haha, and H/F frankenstein would be sick.

2oodoor
08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
there is a F22 DOHC too if you can find one, OEM JDM goodness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_F_engine

gtmst3
08-25-2009, 09:20 AM
ok well these are my two options what do you guys think

an f22b1 out of an 1966 accord------http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engine-Block-94-97-Accord-LX-F22B2-H23-Si-96-H22-F22-DX_W0QQitemZ370247601889QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item56347a0ee1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

or this h22a4 out of an 1998 honda somthing------http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Civic Accord Honda
08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
f22a4 ftw ! has same hp but 3 more tourqe then the f22b1 lol.. but its cheaper!

or f22a6 which puts out 140hp

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 09:43 AM
I love the idea of the H22 you found in Manchester. I would just figure out how to run that serial number to make sure it's clean. There are WAY too many stolen ones floating around this area, and if you get pinched with one, they just take it away from you regardless of what you put into it, and you could face criminal charges.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230370382955&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

That H is a STEAL if it's legit and goes for that price.

gtmst3
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
alright ill try to run the # somehow and i think ill get that if it comes up clean

gtmst3
08-25-2009, 10:35 AM
yeah about running that # i diddnt find anything

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
yeah about running that # i diddnt find anything

Gimme a second I'll see if I can find out a way.

edit: Ok, just called the Bridgeport PD and asked. They said if you were to go to the DMV (or maybe call the Wethersfield office) and let them know you want to purchase and engine from a car, and you want to ensure it's not from a stolen vehicle, or not a stolen motor, they should be able to run the serial for you for free and let you know.

halxi
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
well mark i could go a20 but i really just want to go as big as possible so if i can get my hands on a cheap h22 im going to but if not i thing ill just stick to a boosted a20 like you said. thanks for you guys help. i would go with the f22 but i really want a dohc vtec so i think ill just keep my eye out and wait like i said im in no rush

I've got a JDM h22 bare block, closed deck, no internals (crank, rods, pistons).

$75 + ship and its yours. Shipping would likely be kind of expensive though.

I've even got paperwork for it somewhere, from when it was a complete "swap" that i purchased from HMO (HMotorsonline)

Joay
08-25-2009, 10:44 AM
H22A4 = 97-01 Prelude.

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I've got a JDM h22 bare block, closed deck, no internals (crank, rods, pistons).

$75 + ship and its yours. Shipping would likely be kind of expensive though.

I've even got paperwork for it somewhere, from when it was a complete "swap" that i purchased from HMO (HMotorsonline)

Closed deck? I didn't know any H's came with a closed deck.

Chris, you also should decide if you're going to go with turbo or all-motor. This could change you decision on the base block to start with.

gtmst3
08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
i would like to do turbo but not running crazy boost just a low boost set up thanks for the info on running the number too make ill check it out

i would buy that block off you halxi but like you said the shipping would prabably be crazy i diddnt want to spent more that 150 for a bare block you could quote it though just to see

stat1K
08-25-2009, 12:22 PM
get a flat rate box!!!! lol...

and mark, the h came in closed and open decks.

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 12:48 PM
get a flat rate box!!!! lol...

and mark, the h came in closed and open decks.

I did not know that. ...does the native closed deck block tend to withstand more abuse than the closed deck with the block guard?

markmdz89hatch
08-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I just found a bone stock JDM B18A Longblock for $250 with a spare head right here in CT.

stat1K
08-25-2009, 02:16 PM
i'm sure it would withstand a lot, i've not seen a lot of research on them but just based on the design i'm sure it would. i've heard horrible things about block guards.

halxi
08-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Closed deck? I didn't know any H's came with a closed deck.

Chris, you also should decide if you're going to go with turbo or all-motor. This could change you decision on the base block to start with.

over half of them do.

heres pics to verify (of both my old, h22 p13 block, and also my old h23a1 p13 block)

Old JDM h22a
http://users.4x4wh.com/4x4master/Hondar/Rebuild/2.jpg
http://users.4x4wh.com/4x4master/Hondar/Rebuild/B3.jpg
http://users.4x4wh.com/4x4master/Hondar/Rebuild/B4.jpg

also note the HMO stamp. This is the block i posted in my previous post.

Heres the USDM h23a1, 98spec p13 block, bad pic but its all i can find currently. If you look under the coolant passages in the head gasket you can see the block is closed in around them
http://users.4x4wh.com/4x4master/Hondar/Motor2/2.jpg

You can sleeve a closed deck block, however you cannot run block guard in a closed deck block. If you meant does the native closed deck block withstand more abuse than the open deck with blockguard. I would say yes, but you're more prone to cracking a sleeve if you're running a mahle piston in the stock frm sleeve.

markmdz89hatch
08-26-2009, 05:26 AM
over half of them do.

You can sleeve a closed deck block, however you cannot run block guard in a closed deck block. If you meant does the native closed deck block withstand more abuse than the open deck with blockguard. I would say yes, but you're more prone to cracking a sleeve if you're running a mahle piston in the stock frm sleeve.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Yeah I know the blockguard is only for use on open deck blocks (seeing as it's to 'close' the deck), but it was that reliability/ability to withstand abuse that I was curious about. Huh, I really had no idea the H came closed deck. Are all B16/B18's open deck or do those exist in a closed deck form too?

gtmst3
08-26-2009, 05:44 AM
will the h22a4 open deck be okay for what im looking for?

markmdz89hatch
08-26-2009, 05:48 AM
will the h22a4 open deck be okay for what im looking for?

I'm (obviously) no H expert, but 200 hp is pretty damn easy to get to on any Honda DOHC motor.

edit: here's a link to another thread on a forum I just found. it's a real good read and an exploration into power numbers and capabilities of the H, and $$ efficiency with making good power.

gtmst3
08-26-2009, 06:23 AM
lol so wheres the link?

stat1K
08-26-2009, 06:26 AM
there's a really good build thread on honda-tech of a crx that a guy completely restores and builds an h-motor... it's got a lot of good info if i can find it i'll post it.

the f20b mounts the same as the H and it is capable of some pretty good numbers just stock...

there's a thread on my old local site of azht.net where a guy puts in a pretty much stock f20b and dyno's 176whp then puts nitrous on it. i think either one would be a great platform for the 3g and we know it's possible, if you do end up doing it you need to take pictures and document everything!

heres the f20b http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75993

gtmst3
08-26-2009, 07:00 AM
well the auction for the block i want ends on sunday so if i get it ill start from there build my engine get a car then put it in

stat1K
08-26-2009, 07:18 AM
sweet!

halxi
08-26-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm (obviously) no H expert, but 200 hp is pretty damn easy to get to on any Honda DOHC motor.

edit: here's a link to another thread on a forum I just found. it's a real good read and an exploration into power numbers and capabilities of the H, and $$ efficiency with making good power.

People are doing 300+ WHP with an ALL MOTOR H. :thumbup:

Obviously not on low budgets though lol. My current build, i'm shooting for 250-275whp range (all motor, at altitude)

labeledsk8r
08-26-2009, 08:09 PM
I didn't know that. Has it been confirmed that the H head will bolt directly to the F without any modifications?

That's like the LS/VTEC B frankenstein.

haha, and H/F frankenstein would be sick.

yes its confirmed and theres alot of people that run it theres a few side problems such as

blocking of the 2 extra oil drains on the h22 head,
cobbling of the f22/h22 water pipes
using the f22/f23 water pump and pressing the h22 gear on it.

when useing the stock F pistons your compresion is someplace in the 8's

but if your useing a F23 you can use k pistons and such to bump up the compresion

but anyways if you allready found an H go for it, sna git up and lets see some install pics, all the 3gee H swaps never have any real info on how they fixed small problems so make a good step by step

stat1K
08-27-2009, 05:21 AM
yes its confirmed and theres alot of people that run it theres a few side problems such as

blocking of the 2 extra oil drains on the h22 head,
cobbling of the f22/h22 water pipes
using the f22/f23 water pump and pressing the h22 gear on it.

when useing the stock F pistons your compresion is someplace in the 8's

but if your useing a F23 you can use k pistons and such to bump up the compresion

but anyways if you allready found an H go for it, sna git up and lets see some install pics, all the 3gee H swaps never have any real info on how they fixed small problems so make a good step by step

agreed!

gtmst3
08-30-2009, 10:24 AM
well i lost the bid for the h22 but are we sure that all the parts for an h22 are compatable with a f22b1 out of a 1996 accord?

89sei89dx
09-01-2009, 12:05 PM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/1352297089.html i would say try to find somthin like that off craiglist. i see them alot. with good engine n trans n shitty car. but complete engine n tranny. ive seen 2 or 3 on cl in the past month. thats my way of finding that kind of engine for cheap.

markmdz89hatch
09-01-2009, 12:41 PM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/1352297089.html i would say try to find somthin like that off craiglist. i see them alot. with good engine n trans n shitty car. but complete engine n tranny. ive seen 2 or 3 on cl in the past month. thats my way of finding that kind of engine for cheap.

that's a great idea, however we don't have any grassroots racing in CT anymore which means no Hornet cars, etc. Plus the import scene over here is HUGE and there's a very high demand for Honda motors.

stat1K
09-01-2009, 02:17 PM
yeah except if you read that add he bent 2 valves, so he says, and the motors been raced so it's been beat to shit... you'd be better off going to a junkyard and buying a wrecked car.

as it is h22's aren't all that expensive... hell there's a guy on my local site here in NC selling an f20b for 400 bucks to pay his fines to get his car back.

labeledsk8r
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
hell if you were local theres a guy selling a complete H23 with intake manifold for 350, im sure deals will pop up all the time for the motor, check alot of newer accord/prelude websites they float around on there alot

Joay
09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
as it is h22's aren't all that expensive... hell there's a guy on my local site here in NC selling an f20b for 400 bucks to pay his fines to get his car back.
DOHC bluetop F20B? I would have made a road trip for that when I had a CB7 to put it in.

halxi
09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I mentioned it once... maybe you missed it

I have a JDM h22, closed deck, bare block just sitting in my basement collecting dust.

$75+shipping and its yours.

gtmst3
09-03-2009, 02:36 AM
the problem is how much would shipping be to waterbury CT?

stat1K
09-03-2009, 04:53 AM
DOHC bluetop F20B? I would have made a road trip for that when I had a CB7 to put it in.

yep. i think it's stolen personally that's why i haven't jumped on it :-\

halxi
09-05-2009, 02:08 PM
the problem is how much would shipping be to waterbury CT?

not too sure.

I shipped an h22 tranny (90lbs including crate) to northern MN for $58.

The bare block is pretty similar in weight.

gtmst3
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
will an f22a6 transmission fit an h22?

gtmst3
10-05-2009, 01:45 PM
also can you bore a b18 ls to a b20 or is it not worth it??

LX-i
10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
my favorite honda motors....

a20 for its reliablility...330,xxx + and going strong....especially since i mash on it all the time. i give it MAJOR props

B16B - small, but powerful, rev limit at 9 grand,

B18C1 - Type-R Spec, 11.:1 compression, DOHC

C32B - NSX, Just Imagine 290HP, 224FTlbs Torque at 8 grand..., NASTY.

those are my favs.

stat1K
10-06-2009, 11:09 AM
d15b8 right here :)

ZackieDarko
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
K20r

ZackieDarko
10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
or

K24 stroked to a K26 with K20R head

2ndGenGuy
10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
The JDM ES pwns your A20s with 130hp.

gtmst3
10-06-2009, 12:59 PM
im looking for a good cheap performance engine to replace my ek1 prelude

halxi
10-06-2009, 04:06 PM
will an f22a6 transmission fit an h22?

yes, F/H series trannies are the same externally. F series trannies have super long gears though.

Lil Mike
10-06-2009, 05:15 PM
i love my a16 i just ABUUUUUSE it like no tomorrow. 4 grand every shift maybe higher, poppin the clutch all the time. sick engine. pretty good for a 1.6 too.

cubert
10-06-2009, 06:57 PM
The engine in the Honda NR500

http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1979pistonengine/img/pho_04.jpg

100hp @ 16,000 RPMS.

Oh, wait, are we talking car engines? :D

ZackieDarko
10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
The engine in the Honda NR500

http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1979pistonengine/img/pho_04.jpg

100hp @ 16,000 RPMS.

Oh, wait, are we talking car engines? :D