PDA

View Full Version : sectioning rust-free rockers and quarters, where to cut?

automan9482
08-27-2009, 05:24 PM
local yard has an '89 Accord sedan, almost identical to mine, same color in/out and this one is 100% rust free, but hit in the front. I'm thinking of snagging the whole thing for parts, or at least getting the solid rockers/jack supports/quarters cut out. Yard will torch them out for $20 extra a side I believe....
Where exactly should they be cut to be be used on my car if I want the rocker and quarter as assemblies/?
My main replacement concern is the curved outer rocker that rusted thru after the "rustproofers" drilled thru from the outside. The jack supports /and rear arches and wells are solid, as is the undercarriage. I'd like to get as much solid replacement metal as possible for future needs though.
I found a recent post by SOHC that's real close to this, but I'd like a little more specific instruction......
Tomisimo said "ok, in this case, get another good accord, strip yours for all interior and wiring, than cut good accord in peaces like, whole wheel arch with shock mount, on both sides all the way to the trunk quarter panel. and reweld it on your car. one side first, than cut the other side and repeat welding.
So that your car dont collapse on it self. than the trunk, I bet you have a hole there too.
Do you have any welding skills?"

I am not a welder, and would outsource the repair work.

lostforawhile
08-27-2009, 06:17 PM
local yard has an '89 Accord sedan, almost identical to mine, same color in/out and this one is 100% rust free, but hit in the front. I'm thinking of snagging the whole thing for parts, or at least getting the solid rockers/jack supports/quarters cut out. Yard will torch them out for $20 extra a side I believe....
Where exactly should they be cut to be be used on my car if I want the rocker and quarter as assemblies/?
My main replacement concern is the curved outer rocker that rusted thru after the "rustproofers" drilled thru from the outside. The jack supports /and rear arches and wells are solid, as is the undercarriage. I'd like to get as much solid replacement metal as possible for future needs though.
I found a recent post by SOHC that's real close to this, but I'd like a little more specific instruction......
Tomisimo said "ok, in this case, get another good accord, strip yours for all interior and wiring, than cut good accord in peaces like, whole wheel arch with shock mount, on both sides all the way to the trunk quarter panel. and reweld it on your car. one side first, than cut the other side and repeat welding.
So that your car dont collapse on it self. than the trunk, I bet you have a hole there too.
Do you have any welding skills?"

I am not a welder, and would outsource the repair work. cut more then you need you can always trim it you can't add it back on

Vanilla Sky
08-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Take all they'll cut. If they'll cut the whole back half off, then go for it. You can never have too much when you're dealing with rust repair panels.

automan9482
08-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Cool, thanks. I'm seriously thinking about buying the whole thing, I think I can get it for about $250, and it still has a lot of good parts. They won't give you a title, but I can strip the whole thing and cut up what's left for the scrap pile. My neighbor's constantly work on their vehicles, welding, bagging them and so on, maybe if I wave a few bucks at them, they'd cut out what I need...

ghettogeddy
08-28-2009, 11:44 AM
i wouldent worry about color of the car if your gona vut and weld its gona need paint

automan9482
08-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I went today and really checked this car out, I decided against buying it whole for parts, since it's missing more than it was. But it's from Georgia, and 100% solid. The yard doesn't do any cutting, so I think I'm gonna rent a battery sawzall and start where the front fender meets the rocker, and cut back behind the bottom lip into the floors, thru the lower A and B posts, behind the rear door latch, behind the rear suspension mounts, thru the trunk and end above where the outside quarter notches out from the C-pillar.

b20a86lude
08-30-2009, 01:37 PM
wat are u using for power

automan9482
08-31-2009, 03:51 AM
Not sure about power, I'm told I can rent a battery powered sawzall, and hopefully that with a backup battery will suffice. Gotta call the tool rental place today, it'd be insane to let that solid metal go away.