PDA

View Full Version : New to Honda, Transmission help. please.

Basem
08-28-2009, 08:55 AM
hi to all. i have an 88 Honda Accord LX-I, it only has around 81000 miles on it which is like i guess a miracle. anyway the transmission has been slipping and it has been a problem. i went to a couple of guys but couldnt find the transmission for my car so i had a couple of questions. first its automatic and EFI. what options do i have for another transmission is it just my 88 lxi or can it be something else? would it be cheaper to get a manual and if it is what year and model should i get? thanks

2oodoor
08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
hi to all. i have an 88 Honda Accord LX-I, it only has around 81000 miles on it which is like i guess a miracle. anyway the transmission has been slipping and it has been a problem. i went to a couple of guys but couldnt find the transmission for my car so i had a couple of questions. first its automatic and EFI. what options do i have for another transmission is it just my 88 lxi or can it be something else? would it be cheaper to get a manual and if it is what year and model should i get? thanks

If you do not do the service on it, change fluid, and make needed external adjustments (shift cable, TV cable)... It will not perform any better with another transmission because the same thing will need to be done to it as well!

Basem
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
yeah but from what i was told its the gearing that went bad. like the teeth on the gears were all eaten!!

Hauntd ca3
08-28-2009, 03:12 PM
what duz the trans fluid smell like?
is it burnt smelling? if so its been either over heated by towing something to heavy and has cooked the fluid or the trans has been given a real hard time and the clutches have been burnt and are stuffed.
that would cause the slipping .
duz the converter lock up when you are cruising?
if not could be a solenoid prob or the lock up clutches are worn out.
for the teeth to be chewed up someone has been real mean to it, but chewed up teeth are unlikely.
converting to a manual isnt all that hard.
there is a thread or 2 bout how to go about it here somewhere.
if you get a shop to rebuild the auto, it will cost a bomb as honda trannies arnt like a normal auto.
i'd go manual myself, but check out your local jy and see if you can find a low mileage auto and decide for youself

jasonrebellion
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
yeah but from what i was told its the gearing that went bad. like the teeth on the gears were all eaten!!

sounds to me like somebody had a tranny leak and ran it dry..letting it overheat real nice and eat itself up

2oodoor
08-28-2009, 04:39 PM
gears chewed up<< not likely
with the low mileage I have to wonder if it was a tow vehicle, in that case the converter could be toast being dragged behind a camper to hellenbac

slipping as in moving along and the engine revs as the transmission pulls half ass? that usually comes from incorrect friction "pressure" and then it bakes the clutches and what not, converter included. That must be corrected as soon as detected or They self destruct from that point. That is why it is so important to keep the hydraulic "atf" in mint condition, and have the adjustments in valving (throttle pressure valve or tv) yeah once the atf has been over heated it changes properties, pre aged if you will, and it does not hold pressures to specified, foams up and separates. ATF has to stay stable as "one entity" or it cant perform its hydralic function nor lubricate.
If the tranny had been worn (200000 mi) this occurs slowly over time, losing "pressures" of one sort or another whether mechanical, hydraulic, centrifugal, etc.. But with the low mileage it may have been beat, racing, towing, being towed, incorrect adjustments, which does wear on the friction and applicators of friction materials to beyond operable tolerances.
I would say try servicing it correctly first if not just to get in practice for the next tranny. All it will cost is a small bit of time and three or so qts atf, some wd 40 on the cables. Any auto from 86-89 would work and unless it is a b20 it does not have solenoids I believe.

Basem
08-28-2009, 06:22 PM
the transmission fluid doenst smell burnt although the transmission does leak a bit which i correct by adding more fluid. i tried the lucas non-slip and it only worked for about a week then i took it to my fiends shop where he told me that that stuff is bad cause it swells up the seals in the tranny and removes the gunk on which the tranny lives on. the person i bought it from was 19 and he really liked and was always trying to be fast on it which meant beating it. i would describe the slipping like roodoo2 did but instead the transmission doesnt pull half ass, it doesnt pull at all unless u really press the gas which if im lucky will put back in the gear or just hit the rev limiter. i feel really bad doing that to it because the engine and the body are in immaculate mint condition and i will post some pictures soon. its an LX-I hatchback.

Dr_Snooz
08-28-2009, 09:22 PM
the transmission fluid doenst smell burnt although the transmission does leak a bit which i correct by adding more fluid. i tried the lucas non-slip and it only worked for about a week then i took it to my fiends shop where he told me that that stuff is bad cause it swells up the seals in the tranny and removes the gunk on which the tranny lives on. the person i bought it from was 19 and he really liked and was always trying to be fast on it which meant beating it. i would describe the slipping like roodoo2 did but instead the transmission doesnt pull half ass, it doesnt pull at all unless u really press the gas which if im lucky will put back in the gear or just hit the rev limiter. i feel really bad doing that to it because the engine and the body are in immaculate mint condition and i will post some pictures soon. its an LX-I hatchback.

81,000 19 year old miles = 427.862 million normal miles. I think your trans has gone to heaven. :( I doubt the gears are chewed up, but if teenagers have been driving it, who can say for sure?

2oodoor
08-29-2009, 01:21 PM
FYI it will slip and clunk and hunt if the TV cable is froze or not functioning from being way out of range, so that would be something to check if the damage isnt already done

If you want to enguage in being an entheusisist for that car you should look into the manual swap though, a mint hatch is gold in this part of the woods

Basem
09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
ok what if i have a 1988 automatic tranny that came out of a carbed honda. would it fit the same. what do i need to do to make it work? thanks a lot guys.

Dr_Snooz
09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Should work fine. Pop it in and be happy!

charliekuney
09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I doubt the gears are chewed up, but if teenagers have been driving it, who can say for sure?

Hey! :(

SOHC
09-09-2009, 08:39 PM
That is true and not true, I bought mine when I was 19 and I had to replace my clutch and a CV shaft after my Dad had it. so you really can blame teens for the abuse, it goes both ways.

Plus mine has 210,000 and I lost fifth gear 2 years ago. general wear and tear

Dr_Snooz
09-10-2009, 08:18 PM
That is true and not true, I bought mine when I was 19 and I had to replace my clutch and a CV shaft after my Dad had it. so you really can blame teens for the abuse, it goes both ways.

But it's so easy to blame them! :D

SOHC
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
But it's so easy to blame them! :D

True, but that seems to be the case for everything in General, blame the Younger Generation.