PDA

View Full Version : valve cover sealant

jasonrebellion
08-29-2009, 06:30 AM
where should i put the valve cover sealant? around the entire lip or just in the corners or on the rounded parts? I'm sayin this cause i just popped mine off and the gasket looked almost brand new but it had sealant on 2 sides of the gasket and it was in tatters so im prayin that caused the leak and it's not somethin else.....anywho thanks for the help and it also had a little bit of oil on the grommet on the far left if you're looking at it from the front....the grommets were all cracked and dried out also...so it looks like whoever did it last just reused the old grommets

Rendon LX-i
08-29-2009, 06:50 AM
right on the U tips

jasonrebellion
08-29-2009, 06:55 AM
by u tips do you mean the entire U shaped ends or just the corners where the U starts?

lostforawhile
08-29-2009, 07:36 AM
by u tips do you mean the entire U shaped ends or just the corners where the U starts?where it goes from square to round about an inch strip on each corner

jasonrebellion
08-29-2009, 09:24 AM
what i did was i didn't use any sealant at all....I'm gonna keep an eye on it and if it starts leaking I'll pull it off and redo it with sealant..I did make sure the surface where it mated was completely clean and oil free, and i've read where some people use sealant and some don't.....so here's hopin for the best

lostforawhile
08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
what i did was i didn't use any sealant at all....I'm gonna keep an eye on it and if it starts leaking I'll pull it off and redo it with sealant..I did make sure the surface where it mated was completely clean and oil free, and i've read where some people use sealant and some don't.....so here's hopin for the bestmight as well pull it off and put some in the corners, thats the standard procedure when installing the cover in the service manual, it will leak right at the corners, make sure you don't over tighten the cover eithier or you will squeeze out the gasket.

jasonrebellion
08-29-2009, 09:41 AM
might as well pull it off and put some in the corners, thats the standard procedure when installing the cover in the service manual, it will leak right at the corners, make sure you don't over tighten the cover eithier or you will squeeze out the gasket.

I just snugged it up real nice, not too much...i was kinda paranoid cause the gasket said to use no chemical adhesives....I'm about to go for a lil trip in an hour or so and if it leaks at all..I'll have plenty of time today to redo it

lostforawhile
08-29-2009, 09:43 AM
I just snugged it up real nice, not too much...i was kinda paranoid cause the gasket said to use no chemical adhesives....I'm about to go for a lil trip in an hour or so and if it leaks at all..I'll have plenty of time today to redo itonce the gasket has got oil on it it's going to be hard to reseal those corners, the reason for the sealer at the transition points,is that the valve cover can't put pressure on those corners properly, it only needs just a little sealer at the four corners,right at that sharp edge on the head where it gos from square to round, at the ends of the cam in other words.

jasonrebellion
08-29-2009, 09:46 AM
once the gasket has got oil on it it's going to be hard to reseal those corners, the reason for the sealer at the transition points,is that the valve cover can't put pressure on those corners properly, it only needs just a little sealer at the four corners,right at that sharp edge on the head where it gos from square to round, at the ends of the cam in other words.

lol well I've already cranked it and let it run a bit and then pulled back around to my driveway so....hopefully it won't leak...if it does it'll be another 11 bucks at autozone, I really do appreciate the help though....i don't know how i would have ever gotten through a lot of stuff I've done to my car without 3geez....certainly not that bitch of a power steering pressure hose

lostforawhile
08-29-2009, 09:51 AM
lol well I've already cranked it and let it run a bit and then pulled back around to my driveway so....hopefully it won't leak...if it does it'll be another 11 bucks at autozone, I really do appreciate the help though....i don't know how i would have ever gotten through a lot of stuff I've done to my car without 3geez....certainly not that bitch of a power steering pressure hose
you can reuse a new gasket like that just fine, just degrease it, just harder to seal after being oil soaked. after it's been on the engine for a while it will take a set and you would have to replace it after it was removed. I wish someone would make a really good gasket that wouldn't take that set, really no other reason to throw that gasket away.

jasonrebellion
08-29-2009, 09:54 AM
you can reuse a new gasket like that just fine, just degrease it, just harder to seal after being oil soaked. after it's been on the engine for a while it will take a set and you would have to replace it after it was removed. I wish someone would make a really good gasket that wouldn't take that set, really no other reason to throw that gasket away.

I almost reused the old gasket when i saw how good it looked...i hope it was leaking from the valve cover gasket.....it looked like it was smoking on the intake manifold.. so i thought it was leakin down the back...you should have smelled the car before when it was dripping ps fluid on the exhaust manifold and burning that and the oil burning....smelt like asssssss

MessyHonda
08-30-2009, 08:09 AM
I almost reused the old gasket when i saw how good it looked...i hope it was leaking from the valve cover gasket.....it looked like it was smoking on the intake manifold.. so i thought it was leakin down the back...you should have smelled the car before when it was dripping ps fluid on the exhaust manifold and burning that and the oil burning....smelt like asssssss

yeah get that fixed...on my dx it started a fire....if it was not for a fire extinguisher that car would of burned up

jasonrebellion
08-30-2009, 02:23 PM
yeah get that fixed...on my dx it started a fire....if it was not for a fire extinguisher that car would of burned up

I fixed the power steering hose last week