PDA

View Full Version : trans or wheel bearing?

1987AccordLx-i
08-30-2009, 02:33 AM
ok so im driving home and i hear a humming yet grinding noise from the front right side... sounds like a wheel bearing... but get this... it only makes the noise at 30-40 mph and in 3rd 4th and 5th gear under only acceleration... when i let off the gas the noise pretty much stops... im guessing it could be my trans OR front right wheel bearing telling me there ready to go...

89 lxi coupe 5spd with close to 215k on the clock... i want to replace the trans due to bad syncros and a broken torque bar mount... but i wanna be sure on what the noise is... if its the wheel bearing i can have that fixed in a day... if its the trans then i will be aggravated... any help would be appreciated

2oodoor
08-30-2009, 03:27 AM
does the noise change when you cut the str wheel back and forth?
How is the alignment on that side? Sometimes WB noise, (while is shoundnt make any noise pretty much) comes from significant alignment issues and not neccessarily because the bearing is bad. (yet)

I am leaning to your tranny in this case though. Of course a really really thrashed CV joint would rumble too but that should be obvious upon inspection.

lostforawhile
08-30-2009, 05:45 AM
ok so im driving home and i hear a humming yet grinding noise from the front right side... sounds like a wheel bearing... but get this... it only makes the noise at 30-40 mph and in 3rd 4th and 5th gear under only acceleration... when i let off the gas the noise pretty much stops... im guessing it could be my trans OR front right wheel bearing telling me there ready to go...

89 lxi coupe 5spd with close to 215k on the clock... i want to replace the trans due to bad syncros and a broken torque bar mount... but i wanna be sure on what the noise is... if its the wheel bearing i can have that fixed in a day... if its the trans then i will be aggravated... any help would be appreciated

if you are pulling the tranny while it's out just take off the front hubs and put in new bearings and lower ball joints, if they are original it's not going to hurt anything to replace them.

1987AccordLx-i
08-30-2009, 11:33 AM
if you are pulling the tranny while it's out just take off the front hubs and put in new bearings and lower ball joints, if they are original it's not going to hurt anything to replace them.

i want to do all this but im short on money... idk when ill be getting money coming in... so if you guys think this will last a couple months then i can get everything done to it when i have the money in hand

Civic Accord Honda
08-30-2009, 11:54 AM
try this
jack up the car and see if there is any play in the wheel like if it can wobble back and forth or not

btw this is how mine sounded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASIINpqC_I&feature=player_profilepage

lostforawhile
08-30-2009, 12:22 PM
i want to do all this but im short on money... idk when ill be getting money coming in... so if you guys think this will last a couple months then i can get everything done to it when i have the money in hand

I wish you were local i could put in the bearings and ball joints for you

Civic Accord Honda
08-30-2009, 12:23 PM

i wish u were closer too lol i went all the way to ridgecrest to get a new bearing pressed in to get told my hub was shot and had to buy a whole used hub lol

1987AccordLx-i
08-30-2009, 08:30 PM

well i can do the bearings.. its just finding a shop that will press in the ball joints

try this
jack up the car and see if there is any play in the wheel like if it can wobble back and forth or not

btw this is how mine sounded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASIINpqC_I&feature=player_profilepage

dam CAH sounds like your dust shield is rubbing somewhere haha... but as far as the grinding noise... mine did the exact same thing when i jacked it up today and ran it... so i ruled out the bad trans and im 100% certain that its my wheel bearing... and both front have play in them so i might as well replace both... thanks for the vid CAH... helped alot

lostforawhile
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
well i can do the bearings.. its just finding a shop that will press in the ball joints

dam CAH sounds like your dust shield is rubbing somewhere haha... but as far as the grinding noise... mine did the exact same thing when i jacked it up today and ran it... so i ruled out the bad trans and im 100% certain that its my wheel bearing... and both front have play in them so i might as well replace both... thanks for the vid CAH... helped alotthe ball joint is easy, you beat it out,then use a large vise and sockets to push it back in.

Civic Accord Honda
08-30-2009, 09:37 PM
no problem glad the video helped!

1987AccordLx-i
08-30-2009, 10:17 PM
the ball joint is easy, you beat it out,then use a large vise and sockets to push it back in.

any other ways besides the vise? i dont have one... how about a hydro jack and something else?

1987AccordLx-i
08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
no problem glad the video helped!

and go easy on that cb7 man... looks mint... do you have pics on myspace?

Civic Accord Honda
08-31-2009, 01:09 AM
and go easy on that cb7 man... looks mint... do you have pics on myspace?

No pics on myspace yet as I havent been on there to much lately.. couple pics on facebook and some in the offtopic section here under the thread CAH: 1991 accord EX coupe or something like that lol.

But man oh man it feels good to be back in an accord !

1987AccordLx-i
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
No pics on myspace yet as I havent been on there to much lately.. couple pics on facebook and some in the offtopic section here under the thread CAH: 1991 accord EX coupe or something like that lol.

But man oh man it feels good to be back in an accord !

yeah man... do i sense an H22 swap? :cool: haha

Civic Accord Honda
08-31-2009, 07:59 PM
yeah man... do i sense an H22 swap? :cool: haha

if you give me a winning lotto ticket sure LOL
nah im staying F with a vtec head later on

1987AccordLx-i
09-01-2009, 12:18 AM
if you give me a winning lotto ticket sure LOL
nah im staying F with a vtec head later on

f22b1? good motor.. unless you over heat it... my friend over heated a cd5 with the b1 engine and god it was hell to get the spark plugs out... dam melted plastic wires inside the spark plug valley

1987AccordLx-i
09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
do you guys think that the bad wheel bearing on my left side would contribute to the negative camber problem ive been having? wheel is a bit wobbly

Civic Accord Honda
09-01-2009, 01:17 AM
f22b1? good motor.. unless you over heat it... my friend over heated a cd5 with the b1 engine and god it was hell to get the spark plugs out... dam melted plastic wires inside the spark plug valley
damn! and yeah probably the b1 head

do you guys think that the bad wheel bearing on my left side would contribute to the negative camber problem ive been having? wheel is a bit wobbly

bad wheel bearing will cause all kinds of un even tire wear

1987AccordLx-i
09-01-2009, 08:14 AM
damn! and yeah probably the b1 head

bad wheel bearing will cause all kinds of un even tire wear

hmm.. ok im pretty sure ill get +1 degree of camber back from the bad wheel bearing.. now i just have to save up for the bearings

2oodoor
09-01-2009, 08:18 AM
You can get the ball joint tool kit at most franchised parts stores, as a loaner. Some places just let you "purchase" it and return it as sort of a deposit. Makes the job very easy.

1987AccordLx-i
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
You can get the ball joint tool kit at most franchised parts stores, as a loaner. Some places just let you "purchase" it and return it as sort of a deposit. Makes the job very easy.

yeah i think the autozone here by my house loans out the ball joint tool kit