PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy rebuilt tranny?

Robs89LXi
08-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a quality rebuilt 5-speed tranny for my '89 LXi? Know anyone who does reliable rebuilds?
Thanks.

Bass Man
08-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Could do yourself a favor and put 1g Teg gear in it while your at it.... hmmmmm...

I thought mine was pretty messed up, but after I adjusted the clutch today, I don't think I need to rebuild mine anytime soon.. What's yours doing?

Dr_Snooz
09-01-2009, 09:01 PM
I bought a scrapper from a local outfit, Parts Planet or some such. They gave me a one year warranty and delivered it to my door for $250 or so. I bought a Transtar rebuild kit for $160 and rebuilt it myself. You're probably going to look awhile for a rebuilt. I say buy the scrapper and rebuild it yourself if you can. Otherwise, just buy the scrapper with the warranty and cross your fingers.

maka_RTH
09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I have a 1g teg regeared tranny laying around as well (stock 5th still, but should have teg 5th somewhere), if you want parts or the whole tranny, lemme know and we can work something out. It's pretty straightforward to rebuild as long as you're good at remembering how things come apart/keeping things in order.

88Accord-DX
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Probably could find someone local for a hefty price. I wouldn't try doing it yourself unless you done it before & know your shit. Other than that, a low mileage one should be fine if you can find one. Anyhow, here is pic of the headache of doing it yourself...... :ugh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/transpull2.jpg

Bass Man
09-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I asked a JY how much a 1g tranny was and they said they didn't have one, but they usually ask for $325. He was a 5g accord guy, so he said I can have a fender for $60 instead of $85! Holy crap!

lostforawhile
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
get ahold of mantrans in tallahassee FL, they ship know lots of people who use them they can rebuild what you've got or find a rebuild . all they do is manual transmissions. http://www.manual-transmission.com/