PDA

View Full Version : hidden radio antenna door yay or nay?

lostforawhile
09-03-2009, 08:25 PM
OK as most of you know I have a hidden fourth gen power antenna, it's under the dash and the antenna comes up through the plastic cowl and will exit through a small hole at the rear of the hood, was wondering about opinions on an antenna door, this is cut from an antique oil cup from an old machine, the top is spring loaded, I was going to weld it right to the hood where the antenna exits,so the lid pops open when the antenna is up and closes when it's down. I've been trying to figure out for a couple of weeks on how to keep the antenna tip from hanging up on the lid, it finally hit me, those teflon buttons you put on chair legs to slide them, this would keep the antenna tip away from the lid edge and it would slide eaisily on the teflon when opening or closing. one of those buttons would just fit inside of the lid. anyway opinions? I think I could recess it a bit lower too. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020124-2.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020125-3.jpg

ghettogeddy
09-03-2009, 08:34 PM
in the middle of the hood
why i can see the rear but
the hood

89lxisedan
09-03-2009, 08:37 PM
its unique, i like the idea, have you tested it and made sure the antenna can push it open? i really like the idea

charliekuney
09-03-2009, 08:43 PM
You should lower it a bit and make the cover flat so it's flush with the hood area thing that it comes out of.

Civic Accord Honda
09-03-2009, 10:11 PM
You should lower it a but and make the cover flat so it's flush with the hood area thing that in comes out of.

charliekuney
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
You should lower it a but and make the cover flat so it's flush with the hood area thing that in comes out of.

?

Lil Mike
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
hes +1 you

Hazwan
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm sure hes gonna make it flush and yeah, that looks interesting but I'm a huge fan of clean shaved look.

lostforawhile
09-03-2009, 11:51 PM
its unique, i like the idea, have you tested it and made sure the antenna can push it open? i really like the idea
well i can put in a weaker spring, i ground off the rivet head on one side, so i can take it apart, needed to do that anyway for welding in the base. i'll have to test it in a piece of steel first.

89lxisedan
09-04-2009, 05:19 PM
oh ok. i like the clean look it gives

Dr_Snooz
09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I have a million dollars that says you snap off your antenna one day while opening the hood. That's the kind of knuckle-headed stunt I'd pull if I had something cool like that.

lostforawhile
09-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I have a million dollars that says you snap off your antenna one day while opening the hood. That's the kind of knuckle-headed stunt I'd pull if I had something cool like that.it's interlocked with the hood pin switch, if you pop the hood the antenna goes down and sounds a buzzer,it won't go up with the hood open. it took a lot of work modifying the power antenna itself to make it fit under the dash, I don't want to break an antenna

lostforawhile
09-05-2009, 05:47 AM
it's easy to wire one of these if you put one in, you have three wires going to the antenna, power ground and a trigger wire, to keep it from going up when it's not supposed to, i used a normally closed 12 volt relay, the trigger wire goes through the relay ,one side of the relay coil goes to antenna power, the other to the hood pin switch for the alarm, under normal conditions the antenna works normally if the hood is popped the ground signal from the hood pin switch causes the relay to open cutting off the trigger signal, this makes the antenna go down and prevents it from operating if the hood is up.