PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum leak + Smoke

2drSE-i
09-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Ok so being on this board as long as i have, I really should know how to fix this stuff. But i dont.

I have a pretty wicked vacuum leak, big enough to cause a horrible whistle in the engine bay. I've narrowed it down to the six lines that run right near the vacuum advance (wd40 method). I pulled the plastic lines off of the hard plastic lines (Yes, one of them killed the car), but none of them stopped the whistling. Any ideas?

Also, the car is smoking, quite a bit, from the intake(ish) side of the motor. The color of the smoke appears to be whiteish, which would correspond with the loss of coolant i've been experiencing lately. I don't appear to be losing any oil (other than that which is leaking from my oil return line....which is pissing me off because i keep putting new clamps on and the leak continues....)

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas how to fix these problems? Thanks

2drSE-i
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Bump, this thread got off the new threads :-(

Dr_Snooz
09-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I wonder if your advance mechanism is leaking (cracked, whatever). Are you experiencing any timing related issues? As for the coolant leak, I'd look at those little coolant hoses that run under the intake to the water pipe. I'd do that pretty quick if you don't want to be left thumbing it on the side of the road.

2drSE-i
09-05-2009, 06:19 AM
i was afraid that the advance diaphragm was broken. no issues with timing though. ugh those stupid coolant lines

Dr_Snooz
09-05-2009, 10:36 AM
It took me forever to find my vacuum leak. Turned out my intake gasket was completely destroyed. Didn't find it until it started whistling at me. Then I just kinda moved my ear around the engine bay and triangulated. Good luck with that.

lostforawhile
09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
take a piece of vaccume line stick one end up to your ear and move it around listening for the whistle

2drSE-i
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
you know it very well could be the intake gasket causing both problems.... lazy ass mechani c that pulled my head a couple of years ago probly left the intake attached.

Dr_Snooz
09-05-2009, 11:05 PM
you know it very well could be the intake gasket causing both problems.... lazy ass mechani c that pulled my head a couple of years ago probly left the intake attached.

Um, the manual actually tells you to leave the manifolds on, but yeah, it could be the gasket.

89lxisedan
09-06-2009, 08:23 PM
not to jack the thread but i'm having a similar problem, is your car also got a loopy idle that goes from 1500 to 2000 rpm, and will not change even when you adjust it?

1987AccordLx-i
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
not to jack the thread but i'm having a similar problem, is your car also got a loopy idle that goes from 1500 to 2000 rpm, and will not change even when you adjust it?

you got a bad vac leak or your ECT sensor is gone... any engine codes?

1987AccordLx-i
09-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I wonder if your advance mechanism is leaking (cracked, whatever). Are you experiencing any timing related issues? As for the coolant leak, I'd look at those little coolant hoses that run under the intake to the water pipe. I'd do that pretty quick if you don't want to be left thumbing it on the side of the road.

+1 on the vac advance.... mine was cracked and destroyed but i didnt know it and god i had horrible performance... changed it yesterday and WOW my car feels so different

89lxisedan
09-07-2009, 12:06 PM
you got a bad vac leak or your ECT sensor is gone... any engine codes?

nope no engine codes thats why i'm baffled as to what it is and yeah i can hear the vacum leak just i am having no luck finding it

lostforawhile
09-07-2009, 12:29 PM
+1 on the vac advance.... mine was cracked and destroyed but i didnt know it and god i had horrible performance... changed it yesterday and WOW my car feels so differentI just saw your video so sorry about your engine being terminal.

2drSE-i
09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
+1 on the vac advance.... mine was cracked and destroyed but i didnt know it and god i had horrible performance... changed it yesterday and WOW my car feels so different

how much was the advance?

Dr_Snooz
09-07-2009, 06:36 PM
They are about $50 from Rock Auto I think. If you take a handheld vacuum pump to the wrecking yard with you, you can find a good one real easy. Just check the one you have first.

1987AccordLx-i
09-07-2009, 07:27 PM
how much was the advance?

i got it from the j/y... and i .... kinda.... took it lol :kekeke:

1987AccordLx-i
09-07-2009, 07:28 PM
nope no engine codes thats why i'm baffled as to what it is and yeah i can hear the vacum leak just i am having no luck finding it

hmm... i guess replace every hose you see... its a pain in the rear but very worth it

Civic Accord Honda
09-07-2009, 07:48 PM

5 finger discount ftw ... i wish i could fit an engine in my pocket

1987AccordLx-i
09-07-2009, 09:39 PM
5 finger discount ftw ... i wish i could fit an engine in my pocket

shit if i can fit an engine in my pants and make it look like just an erection... then dam ill do it! :rockon:

Civic Accord Honda
09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
shit if i can fit an engine in my pants and make it look like just an erection... then dam ill do it! :rockon:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lostforawhile
09-07-2009, 11:22 PM
shit if i can fit an engine in my pants and make it look like just an erection... then dam ill do it! :rockon:yea but if you do that,the ugly toothless chick at the front counter might grab you and won't let yo leave.

1987AccordLx-i
09-08-2009, 10:19 AM
yea but if you do that,the ugly toothless chick at the front counter might grab you and won't let yo leave.

oh god haha

lostforawhile
09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
oh god haha

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/CaptnBob/3014a.jpg

Is that an engine in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

2drSE-i
10-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Bump+Edit
I've noticed that after shutting the car off, for a few seconds the whistle persists. This would eliminate the intake manifold gaskets i would think, so its more than likely a vacuum or some other leak.

Took my car to an oil change place (didnt want to change my oil in my apartment parking lot...this time) and had them take a look while they were at it. They said that it was likely my crankcase breather pipe that was loose causing both my oil leak, smoke and whistle. Could this be the problem?

w261w261
10-27-2009, 04:11 PM

I used to be able to pick through a nice yard around here, until the owner finally had enough of the thieves and closed it off. Now I have to go to the counter and pay accordingly.

Sometimes the waves your boat makes wash up on others' shore.

2ndGenGuy
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Brake booster is probably leaking. Master cylinder is probably leaking into brake booster. Brake fluid is getting sucked into the intake manifold. Hence the smoke and vacuum leak at the same time.

kentwat
10-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Could your pcv be sticking and causing excessive pressure in the crankcase? After shutdown you here like a vacuum release maybe it is shot opening and not closing properly or a leak in that line. Are you still running the line from the valve cover to the plastic intake tube? I would doubt it would be your vacuum advance if it is running well. Brake booster also holds vacuum.

2drSE-i
10-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Brake booster is probably leaking. Master cylinder is probably leaking into brake booster. Brake fluid is getting sucked into the intake manifold. Hence the smoke and vacuum leak at the same time.

I very seriously doubt its my brake booster, it sounds to be coming from the left side, near the PCV/Distributor side of things.

Could your pcv be sticking and causing excessive pressure in the crankcase? After shutdown you here like a vacuum release maybe it is shot opening and not closing properly or a leak in that line. Are you still running the line from the valve cover to the plastic intake tube? I would doubt it would be your vacuum advance if it is running well.

I dont think its my vacuum advance either, I'm starting to believe its the PCV as well. I do hear a pretty loud woosh after shutting the car off actually, but i was told that was normal about two years ago by someone whos worked on hondas for his whole life.

2drSE-i
10-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Oh keep the ideas coming though, i really appreciate the input.

2drSE-i
10-27-2009, 07:33 PM
i guess ill work on it tomorrow.

lostforawhile
10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
have you looked at the hard plastic pieces of the pcv valve? they get old and crack

2drSE-i
10-29-2009, 08:06 PM
have you looked at the hard plastic pieces of the pcv valve? they get old and crack

This, turns out, was absolutely the problem. I'm fairly certain my PCV Valve has been clogged/not working for two years, and it finally found a passage to vent through, causing the horrible whistle. I used pliers to try to hear the "Click" a healthy PCV valve makes. I heard the click, but the whistle also disappeared. Hooray for 10 dollar fixes!