PDA

View Full Version : Very recent issue with the 32/36

garfunkle55
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
So the past few days I've noticed that something has been a little off with the weber, nothing major. A little bit of wave in the idle here and there. But this morning on my way home from work I decided to give it the beans and after that I was idling close to 300 or lower. And when I gave it gas it would stumble and nearly die if I came to stop without feathering the gas. I sprayed around the adapter plates and I'm pretty damn sure they're leaking. My question is; could giving it the beans cause my adapter plate gaskets to suddenly leak?

It really seems like I'm dealing with a vacuum leak but I want to be sure before I go buying gaskets or anything. So if anybody could clarify what it may be if it isn't my adapter plates/gaskets it would really help me out a lot.

2oodoor
09-04-2009, 05:12 PM
get some cheap carb cleaner spray and lightly spray it around the base as the car idles. If the rpms rise, the area you lightly spray is the culprit vacuum leak.
You can also try removing the idle jet, not the idle screw(s) but the brass plug thing on the side, One on each side, primary and secondary idle jets.

Remove them and clean them up a little. DO not burr or otherwise cause any damage to the tiny things though.

Temperatures outside affects these too, if your climate changes a little you will notice some difference in the car. Usually all it takes is a slight tweek on the idle MIX screw, like very slight, to straighten that up as temps change.

2ndGenGuy
09-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Did you use locktite on the screws/studs? They are quite known for backing themselves out without any locktite...

garfunkle55
09-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Alright, so I first came to the conclusion that my adapter plate gaskets were bad so I took the time to make new ones and replaced them. Still didn't work, so I figured it seems fine in the high RPMs maybe I should check the main idle jet and BLAM fat chunk of something was pluggin it up. Used carb cleaner to blast it out and now we're all good.

Has anyone used a dual shot accelerator pump jet before? I found one and was thinking about getting it.

Bass Man
09-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I think every weber thread should have a "DO NOT USE gasket sealant on carbs" post. I got my weber for free (well, for selling a Samurai for someone) because he said he couldn't get it to idle down. When I got to looking at the carb, I noticed it was covered in Form-a-gasket; problem solved! I bought my first weber for $25 because there was a problem with it, and there are cheap webers every day around here because of gaskets.

The dual shot is for primary and secondary, and IMO, it would be a waste of gas if you don't really use your secondary. The dual shots come in every rejet kit.

2oodoor
09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
dual shot is for 38 sychonous carbs, unless you convert the 32/36 to full race outlaw, progressive to sych.. not a good idea for street.

I use permatex Hi tack sealer on carb gasket, brush in can style, very very thin application of this though.

Glad you got the debris out and running good again!

Bass Man
09-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Can you sync a 32/36?

garfunkle55
09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
yeah the info next to the dual pump was saying that its mainly for race application, but I figured hey, you never know.
Pretty soon here, I'll be starting the welding program at a community college so I'll learn the proper procedures for welding along with all the technical stuff. But the reason this is awesome is because I'm going to practice making custom manifolds for the 3g. Mainly carb manifolds but if I get a wild hair I might swing for the bleachers and try an EFI one.
Has anyone tried putting IDF's on our cars? I was thinking either a single 48 idf or dual 40's.

2oodoor
09-05-2009, 05:17 PM
a c c o r d ing to the gurus, those would be more restrictive than DCOE because of the turns
all the same, it is an upgrade! One could possibly get those for cheap too since they are widely used on air cooled vw, airboats, sandrails, and do not forget delortos 40-45mm available brand new for less than 300 a pair.

yes you can sych them but "textbook" no you can't heh heh

garfunkle55
09-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Delorto SU's?

2oodoor
09-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Dellorto DRLA: is essentially the same carb as the Weber IDF, just made by Dellorto. It comes in 36, 40, 45, and 48 mm sizes. It's important to note that the DRLA carb sizing is 1 step larger than the equivalent Weber. A 36 mm Dellorto is equivalent toa 40 mm Weber; a 45mm Dellorto is equivalent to a 48mm Weber; etc.