PDA

View Full Version : probably hard to diagnose

chillywilly420
09-04-2009, 10:53 PM
being that it is in text form... but today as i was driving home from the zoo.. i notice my battery light flickering on and off (almost seems to be everytime i hit a bump or press on the brake pedal.) my radio also shuts off...and my headlights and all my dash lights and whatnot get dim when i press the brakes. my battery is almost brand new...and i checked the terminals they both seem to be connected properly. anyhow.. when i get on it it hesitates a lil bit now..probably like mid-way through my rpms. i dropped my girl off at work..turned my car off because ive had this problem with my radio before(not my battery light)...where i couldnt change stations or press any buttons on it.. but when i turned my car off and back on it worked fine. well..this time.. she didnt wana start back up..so i jumped it..made it about 50 feet and it died on me again..and this time both my battery and oil light were on.

any insight would be much appreciated

Lil Mike
09-04-2009, 10:56 PM
check the voltage when your car is running sounds like you have a bad alternator

AZmike
09-04-2009, 10:57 PM
If your battery is new I'd suspect the alternator. Most auto parts stores offer a free test to check both.

labeledsk8r
09-04-2009, 11:09 PM
i would agree with everyone and say alternator aswell, if that checks out to be ok then check your ground wires on your engine and transmition

lostforawhile
09-05-2009, 03:06 AM
before you do that what condition are your battery terminals and are yhey tight and what about your grounds

bank2me
09-07-2009, 08:47 AM
i would agree with everyone and say alternator aswell, if that checks out to be ok then check your ground wires on your engine and transmition
:werd: My 91 Integra used to have the headlights dim randomly, On one occasion the check engine light came on after I was givin her nuts. And my fuckin temp guage would go to hot when I hit the brake pedal then when I let off the brake, temp guage would go back to normal. Ended up being my ground wire.

1987AccordLx-i
09-07-2009, 10:07 AM
could be a bad alternator, voltage regulator, or bad grounds... check out your grounds and make sure there properly secured to the frame and dont have rust or corrosion... next.. get your alternator checked out... autozone does it free of charge... from my experience from alternators i know yours is getting ready to kick the bucket... or already did... keep us posted :rockon:

chillywilly420
09-08-2009, 01:16 AM
it was a bolt that had cracked on my alternator. thing was bouncin' around..

1987AccordLx-i
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
it was a bolt that had cracked on my alternator. thing was bouncin' around..

external or internal alternator?

chillywilly420
09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
external..the alternator is what was bouncin' around. i think this happened when i "forgot" to slow down enough and i pretty much jumped a set of train tracks by my house a few weeks before.. dont know why it would wait so long to give me problems though. ooops. wont be flying behind any lifted jeep cherokees over train tracks from now on..atleast until i buy a jeep and lift it =)

1987AccordLx-i
09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
external..the alternator is what was bouncin' around. i think this happened when i "forgot" to slow down enough and i pretty much jumped a set of train tracks by my house a few weeks before.. dont know why it would wait so long to give me problems though. ooops. wont be flying behind any lifted jeep cherokees over train tracks from now on..atleast until i buy a jeep and lift it =)

well thats good man... as long as you got it fixed... hows it run now?

chillywilly420
09-08-2009, 03:28 PM
runnin' great

scars_of_carma
10-14-2009, 07:34 PM
external..the alternator is what was bouncin' around. i think this happened when i "forgot" to slow down enough and i pretty much jumped a set of train tracks by my house a few weeks before..

:uh: Don't "forget" to slow down unless your in a General-Lee. Then its ok :lol:

Civic Accord Honda
10-14-2009, 08:05 PM
i used to love jumpin train tracks in my metro :lol:... but yeah man unless ur car ias a cheapo beater save that for the rental cars :)

canadian357
10-18-2009, 12:21 AM
When mine did that (exact same thing) it was a bad battery even though it was 4 months old. I just exchanged it.