PDA

View Full Version : headlight motor problem

charliekuney
09-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Okay, after extensively searching the forums, I haven't found the answer. Here's my dilemma: My left head light works fine; it goes up and down with both the primary headlamp switch and that weird secondary button. The right side, well, that's another story. It doesn't go up at all. It doesn't move freely, so I can still crank it up with the knob, but I dislike how these cars look with the lights up. So, I have to crank it up and down every day and night, and I'm tired of it.

Questions:
Could it be something other than the motor?
Are both of the motors identical, or are they the same, but 'mirrored'?

I have the left headlight motor from my totaled coupe, but it's the right headlight that isn't working on the 'new' coupe. Are they interchangeable, the left and right motors?

jasonrebellion
09-05-2009, 01:11 PM
try looking up the parts on a honda website and see if it differentiates...

AccordB20A
09-05-2009, 02:02 PM
1st try the relays, i dont remember where they are on these cars but they are the only part i have seen fuck out on the cars headlamp system

jasonrebellion
09-05-2009, 02:20 PM
the fuses are in the fuse box in the engine bay

charliekuney
09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Are they separate for each motor? I'm guessing it's 'yes', since you mentioned it.

Civic Accord Honda
09-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Are they separate for each motor? I'm guessing it's 'yes', since you mentioned it.

yes they are check them first if that doesent work try taking the motor out and plugging it in to your other 3gee too see if it works

charliekuney
09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
...if that doesent work try taking the motor out and plugging it in to your other 3gee too see if it works

Yeah, definitely smashed that area.

88LXi/87CRXSi
09-06-2009, 03:56 AM
I had the same problem a few years back

It doesn't move freely
turns out it was the bolt that the headlight pivots at had somehow tightened
itself up. Loosened it at little and it started working fine. Might want to check that too. Sounds stupid, but it kept mine from working.

charliekuney
09-06-2009, 08:56 AM
That's not what I meant. It moves, it just doesn't flop around.

88LXi/87CRXSi
09-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry man, can't read minds. Mine would go up/down manually but it was just to tight for the motor to do it. Anywho, does the safety indicator on the dash light up?
"Safety indicator operation--Voltage is applied to the headlight retractor control unit whenever the retractor relays operate to activate the retractor motors. The relays operate only for the short time it takes the headlights to rise or retract. With the headlights operating normally, the time that this voltage is applied to the timer is fixed and equal. If the voltage is applied for too long, not long enough, or unequally, the timer sends a signal to the safety indicator. the safety indicator lights the headlight motor warning light symbol on the safety indicator panel to indicate a problem with the headlight retractors."
Don't know if that means anything in your case. So I guess you need to at least check fuse #6 in the underhood fuse box. The retractor relays are located at the right front of the engine compartment, right of the radiator, under the radiator support. The right relay is behind the left one (left one is closer to the front of the car.) You can also pop the headlight actuating arm socket from the retractor motor ball joint with a screw driver to make sure the motor isn't working, but You'll need a pair of longer channel lock pliers to pop it back on or it'll flop around. I suppose you can also check wiring to the relay and motor and ground. The headlight retractor control unit is solid state, so you can't check it with a meter. Probably is ok tho since the left one works ok. Again, sorry if any info posted here is of no use to you.

charliekuney
09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Alright: yes, the 'warning' light does turn on when I flip the headlights up. It does go off when I screw the headlight up manually, though. Both fuses (labeled "R Retractor" and "L Retractor") were fine, but I'm not sure if those were the right ones (since you said they were near the radiator). It doesn't appear that anything is blocking the right side, which is obvious since I can still crank it up. :)

charliekuney
09-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Damnit, I can't find the fuses. Do you have a picture of where they are?

jasonrebellion
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
the fuses are inthe fuse box behind the battery...it should have a diagram on it

charliekuney
09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I know that much, but this is what he said:

The retractor relays are located at the right front of the engine compartment, right of the radiator, under the radiator support.

I checked the fuses, but the relays...

88LXi/87CRXSi
09-06-2009, 02:09 PM
The relays are located up by the radiator, not the fuses. The ones you checked labeled "R Retractor" and "L Retractor are the correct fuses.
I haven't had my scanner working in a while, but if I can find the software around, I'll try to scan the wiring diagram and email it to you, if you PM me your address

jasonrebellion
09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I know that much, but this is what he said:

I checked the fuses, but the relays...

my bad... i must've missed that one...good luck figuring it out

nswst8
09-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Retractor motor test:

1. Remove the retractor motor.

2. Test motor operation by connecting battery positive wire to the Blue/Red terminal and negative to the Black terminal.

3. If the motor fails to run smoothly, replace it.

Retractor Relay Test:

1. Remove the retractor relays located on the right side of the engine compartment.

2. There should be continuity between (A) and (C) terminals when the battery is connected to (E) and (F) terminals.

There should be continuity between (B) and (C) terminals when the battery is disconnected.

(A) (C) (E)
_ _ _

_ _
(B) (F)

Diagram not coming out correctly (B) directly under (A), nothing under (C), (F) directly under (E)

charliekuney
09-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I still can't find the damn relay.

Keachman1
09-07-2009, 06:33 PM
See attached picture for headlight relay location next to radiator.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4018/headlightrelaylocation.jpg

charliekuney
09-07-2009, 08:47 PM
See attached picture for headlight relay location next to radiator.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4018/headlightrelaylocation.jpg

That's where I thought they were. Easiest way to get the one for the right headlight out?

b20a86lude
09-16-2009, 03:52 PM
wow thats pretty cool i mite need new ones to

Keachman1
09-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Removing the right headlight bucket won't help. I would remove the battery since they are on the inside of the radiator support. That way you can unplug the wire connections. Both relays are attached with the same bolt and turned back to back.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the relays? I can't find it online.

Bluntman
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the relays? I can't find it online.

Here are the factory part numbers. I have not seen them at NAPA, but they may be able to match them in the book of relays they have. But other than that it may be dealer for new, or boneyard for used.
http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KL4AT&catcgry5=CONTROLLER+%281%29&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List+All&prdrefno=&quantity=0&act=&count=0&hidSwitch=&hidIrno=

lostforawhile
12-23-2010, 12:19 AM
I just saw this thread, the relays can be replaced with standard 5 pin bosche type relays, they will have to have the connector cut off, and spade terminals added, but they are just a single pole double throw relay, if anyone needs to do this let me know and i'll give you a step by step. I would recommend getting a good quality socket for the five pin type and soldering it in. the only issue with doing this, is you will have to find a place to mount them, as they will no longer fit in there.

A18A
12-23-2010, 12:21 AM
sweet SPDT relays!! can i has teh pinout of the stock relays? I'm too lazy to find it myself

lostforawhile
12-23-2010, 12:26 AM
sweet SPDT relays!! can i has teh pinout of the stock relays? I'm too lazy to find it myself
let me see if i can find it, it's on the new electrical manual which is now up on the wiki, each relay has different color codes, but I think thats just to differentiate left from right, the relays themselves are identical. I'm looking it up now

lostforawhile
12-23-2010, 12:38 AM
here it is, one of the wires in the plug is just a jumper between two of the terminals, otherwise just standard single pole double throw relays

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/2010-12-23_033257.png

A18A
12-23-2010, 01:12 AM
awesome, cheers. I always thought they where some more sophisticated relay. oh well glad I saved them all :D

charliekuney
12-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Just FYI, after having Mike go through the trouble of testing the relays, it was the motor. :D