PDA

View Full Version : How to retorque the head?

2ndGenGuy
09-05-2009, 10:03 PM
So I'm thinking I need to retorque the head on my EK1. But I was confused about how exactly you're supposed to do it...

Are you supposed to loosen the head bolts and retorque them just as if you were installing them?

Or are you supposed to just add 1-2 lb-ft and just tighten them down a bit more?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I just wasn't sure. Didn't see any procedures or anything... Never retorqued a cylinder head before, just want to avoid another possible blown head gasket.

AccordB20A
09-05-2009, 10:08 PM
im pretty sure all they do is re torque it to its supposed tore setting, that way you will know if it got looser or not

Dr_Snooz
09-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd avoid taking the tension off the head gasket by loosening the bolts. Just tighten them up.

2oodoor
09-06-2009, 01:07 AM
I'd avoid taking the tension off the head gasket by loosening the bolts. Just tighten them up.

yeah yeah what he had said....

do not loosen, and in case of an oil leak an extra click on the torque doesnt hurt just do it all in proper sequence

2ndGenGuy
09-06-2009, 07:35 AM
OK thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure. :)

carotman
09-08-2009, 06:40 AM
When retorquing, you have to loosen them a bit, you don't have any other choice.

This is because the dynamic friction coeff. is lower than the static friction.

This means it takes MORE torque to move a static object than it takes to keep it in movement.

When torquing bolts, you have to make sure the bolt is actually moving when you reach the desired torque.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/engines/tdi/TDICHBolts.pdf

AccordB20A
09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
^^very good point its like when u have a really tight bold you tighten it before you loosen it and it sometimes comes undone easier