PDA

View Full Version : Which springs to choose? HELP ME OUT!

87AccordLXsdn
09-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey guys. I've got Ractive coil overs with Tokico blues and I think it's time to trying something new. I want to switch it over to springs but I need some input first. The car is slammed and I kinda wanna keep it that way, but it's just way too stiff and bouncy. I want to still be able to stick to the road, but I want a better quality ride. I'm not sure how to put it, but I want a stiff suspension that isn't going to make me bounce out of my seat when I hit a raised part of the road. Seems like not many like the Eibachs and a lot are going with the H and Rs or Neuspeed. Whats your set up and experience? I know you guys can help me out with this. Going for low, good handling, but not crazy bouncy.

Here's how she sits now.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs236.snc1/8326_127823959580_506844580_2354822_5114604_n.jpg

Civic Accord Honda
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
go with ksport full coiliovers

labeledsk8r
09-09-2009, 12:51 PM
^word

i doubt your gonna find what your looking for out of springs and shocks considering theres really nothing out there for the 3g, dumped, good ride, and 3gee dont fit in the same sentance

Joay
09-09-2009, 01:21 PM
No springs will get you as low as you are now, unfortunately.

codyJDM
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Springs are a no go if you want to keep a height/stance anywhere near yours.

87AccordLXsdn
09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Well damn. I don't have the cash for k sports. I guess it'll either stay the way it is or I'll sacrifice scraping everywhere I go. Thanks guys!

charliekuney
09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I'll buy your current setup from you. :)

nswst8
09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
How much do you want to spend is where you are going have to make the choice.

Vanilla Sky
09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
why not order some springs for your current coilover sleeves? Just get something a little softer and you'll be good.

AZmike
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Low ride height requires stiff springs. Stiff springs require strong dampers.

Either give up the low ride height and try something less stiff like the H&Rs and your shocks will be able to control them a little better (assuming you haven't already destroyed them) or plan on spending the money for shocks that are a good match to your stiff springs to avoid a bouncy ride.

A good match between the springs and dampers will produce better performance than just fitting some of the stiffest, shortest springs available.

87AccordLXsdn
09-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey thanks for all the info guys. Vanilla, would I have to get springs from other coil overs or how does that work? I'm thinking on just going with the H&R's sometime in the future so if I do, I'll let ya know Charlie! I just can't stand the rear having that hard bounce back from the road.

Tomisimo
09-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Agreed ^^

Really, you bont need more then 1.5 - 1.6" drop to lower the car and stiffening it, and it will keep the road klearence and absorb most of those put holes..
I ride on B&G springs with KYB's and Hate it, I got this setup from one member at Norwegian Honda club, he even cut those, so now its more like 60-50mm drop.. bounce all over the place and stiff like idk what.. Anyhow for good road feel and ride quality go for Progressive springs and no more than 1.6" lowering.

MessyHonda
09-11-2009, 12:30 AM
yeah you will have to try to get some konis or bilsteins so it can absorb the spring and the road....i have h&r springs, eibach and progresive 2 inch drop....so far the best combo is the progresive and konis.

bullard123
09-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Wow whats up man. I haven't seen you on in a while. Thought you had sold the car lol. My car sits about that height. Im on a 2.25 inch drop with sprint springs. They are super stiff but they handle really well. I would recommend using the konis with them though

mykwikcoupe
09-12-2009, 06:39 AM
unfortunatly your going to continue to bounce in nay setup you use unless you upgrde to a better matched set of struts. Right now i think the K sports are the best deal concidering how much someone has to pay to get a nice set of konis or bilsteins modified. The tokicos arent a great strut for a dropped stance but more of a more aggressive than stock replacement.

I had sprint springs on tokicos and it rode ok not bad, i upgraded to konis and spent a grip of time adjusting them in. That rode excellent. Im currently upgraded to the ground control coilovers and am still adjusting them in.

My recommendation is start saving for a better set of struts or a full body coilover. While this is happening youll be able to decide what price category you are in.

bullard123
09-12-2009, 07:16 AM
unfortunatly your going to continue to bounce in nay setup you use unless you upgrde to a better matched set of struts. Right now i think the K sports are the best deal concidering how much someone has to pay to get a nice set of konis or bilsteins modified. The tokicos arent a great strut for a dropped stance but more of a more aggressive than stock replacement.

I had sprint springs on tokicos and it rode ok not bad, i upgraded to konis and spent a grip of time adjusting them in. That rode excellent. Im currently upgraded to the ground control coilovers and am still adjusting them in.

My recommendation is start saving for a better set of struts or a full body coilover. While this is happening youll be able to decide what price category you are in.

Yes the sprint springs/Tokico struts is my current setup as well. Im suprised that the Tokico's handled the sprint springs for so long. Im really trying to get my hands on a set of konis cause I agree I think they will work best with the sprints

AccordB20A
09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
or you could give me your springs if you think they will match konis. man i have soft as lowering springs and they are in need of an upgrade i dont like the body roll

bullard123
09-12-2009, 03:07 PM
or you could give me your springs if you think they will match konis. man i have soft as lowering springs and they are in need of an upgrade i dont like the body roll

Wohdog you rolling on Konis?

87AccordLXsdn
09-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Yo Bullard! Yeah, It's been a while since I've been around here, but I'm back! I think for now I'm just going to roll with what I've got and replace my setup once it gives out. I'm getting used to the rough ride again and don't really wanna spend the cash on replacing something that isn't broken.

I was snooping around under the car today and found a nice flat spot in my exhaust around the rear axle area. I was impressed that the pipe hasn't gotten ripped off since its only about 4 inches from the ground!

Hash_man_Se_i
09-13-2009, 08:59 AM
^^^ I feel your pain ... I am running Koni fronts, tokico rears w/ground control coilovers... and the dampers still have issues keeping up with running a low stance, my car is probably lower than yours too.

I say wait and save up money over time to get some k-sports. From what I have seen they will handle a lower stance best as you can adjust the lower shock body perch without shortening the stroke of the shock. This will in the end hopefully provide better control and less bounce.

I used to have H&R and Tokicos on my old se-i, and it was a great setup... a slight bounce, but not much in the front... better then my current setup, and it handled great, but didn't lower the car nearly as much as your current setup/

Vanilla Sky
09-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Ground Control sells raw springs, Hypercoils makes them, there are various other companies you can get them from. Look up circle track parts.