PDA

View Full Version : Fluid leak onto serpentine belt...

Coolbusracer
09-09-2009, 12:45 PM
so I have a leak from somewhere under the hood that is getting onto the main serpentine belt and when you start the car it squeals really bad. I know its the main serpentine because if you don't give it some gas when it first starts up it will bog down and die. I have narrowed it down to ps fluid, but i can't find the leak anywhere. :confused:

I have already checked the ps rack, but its too low to get onto the belt. I also know that its the main serpentine because after driving around for a while there is fluid on the hood when you open it up... But i inspected the lines and can't find anything, any ideas what to check replace, and the easiest way to replace them???

nswst8
09-09-2009, 02:22 PM
These are referred to as drive belts. Not serpentine.

It's either oil from the valve cover, or coolant from the water pump is my guess. The p/s pump is not in a position to leak onto the belt.

AZmike
09-09-2009, 09:26 PM
My first Accord had a leaky shaft seal on the power steering pump. It flung PSF out in a disc that got all over the hood as well as the belts. The distinctive smell of the Honda PSF was the giveaway.

What I don't understand is how an oily belt makes the engine die.

nswst8
09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
My first Accord had a leaky shaft seal on the power steering pump. It flung PSF out in a disc that got all over the hood as well as the belts. The distinctive smell of the Honda PSF was the giveaway.

What I don't understand is how an oily belt makes the engine die.\

That's right these P/S pumps do have a history of faulty shaft seals.

ecogabriel
09-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Mine was leaking and the previous owner told me that his mechanic could not find the leak; when I checked the underside of the hood there was a streak of fluid above where the P/S pump was. I changed that seal -easy to do, and cheap- and no more leaks.