PDA

View Full Version : Lx-LXI Tranny Swap

mushroom_toy
09-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Well as most of you know I have a carbed lx parts car which im taking the tranny out of and putting into the lxi, im gonna try to do it Sat and Sun and after driving the lx im gonna be keeping the old clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing until i rebuild in a month or so, then ill put in new parts, i mainly want to do the swap now just to have it done before I get into tearing the engine apart, because im taking the auto out of my car and swapping it into the lx as well.

What are some problems I might run into in swapping between the cars?

89T
09-10-2009, 04:34 PM
it should be straight forward, besides the starters are different and you need to run a wire in for reverse lights on the m/t.the auto you'll have to figure out the wiring.

Dr_Snooz
09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
You know you'll have to pull the tranny along with the engine when you pull it. Why don't you just do them at the same time? I believe the one drive axle is a different length from the auto to the MT. The how-to explains most of it. Good luck!

mushroom_toy
09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Why would I have to pull the engine? Ive always pulled fwd trannies out from underneath., I shouldnt have to pull the engine.

itzdave
09-10-2009, 11:08 PM
sweet! take pix! im doin this in a month or two... just pulled EVERYTHING out of my 4dr a week before i sent it to the j/y.

Dr_Snooz
09-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Why would I have to pull the engine? Ive always pulled fwd trannies out from underneath., I shouldnt have to pull the engine.

Sorry, it just sounded like you were going to be doing some engine work too. I guess not.

mushroom_toy
09-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Not until a couple months from now, for now though just swapping tranies between the two cars.

mushroom_toy
09-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Ok well at this point I want to drive both of these cars off a cliff! Getting the 5 spd and everything out of the lx was easy, took about ah 2 1/2 hours. Now the lxi on the other hand I Just got finished on, we worked from 3 until 8:30 and just barely got the auto trans out. At this point Im probably just gonna put the 5 spd in my daily and forget about the track car thing, and just put no tranny back in the `lx, and just yank the engine out and reuild it to drop in my car. Damn I hate these cars so much right now, nothing went right at all today.

jasonrebellion
09-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Ok well at this point I want to drive both of these cars off a cliff! Getting the 5 spd and everything out of the lx was easy, took about ah 2 1/2 hours. Now the lxi on the other hand I Just got finished on, we worked from 3 until 8:30 and just barely got the auto trans out. At this point Im probably just gonna put the 5 spd in my daily and forget about the track car thing, and just put no tranny back in the `lx, and just yank the engine out and reuild it to drop in my car. Damn I hate these cars so much right now, nothing went right at all today.

have you changed your power steering hose yet? That'll make you feel like blowing your car up in about 30 mins.....lol

Civic Accord Honda
09-12-2009, 08:27 PM
it took me over a month to do my trans swap lol

snoopyloopy
09-12-2009, 08:29 PM
check the tutorial, but the driver side axle is different. all of which i'm sure you figured out quite the exciting way...

have you changed your power steering hose yet? That'll make you feel like blowing your car up in about 30 mins.....lol

rofl my fluid all leaked out two years ago, i've yet to replace mine. manual steering isn't bad...

jasonrebellion
09-13-2009, 05:32 AM
check the tutorial, but the driver side axle is different. all of which i'm sure you figured out quite the exciting way...

rofl my fluid all leaked out two years ago, i've yet to replace mine. manual steering isn't bad...

i didn't mind the manual steering...but i didn't want my rack to get fucked up, cause i figured it'd be easier and have power steering (my wife kinda likes power steering, i don't know why lol) than go through the process of plugging shit up and removing it

mushroom_toy
09-13-2009, 05:36 AM
DOnt have power steering and fortunately for me I checked the tutorial first and bought a brand new axle 5SPD drivers sider on Friday. :)