PDA

View Full Version : Going to rebuild the b20

MessyHonda
09-13-2009, 07:19 AM
well il try not to rant but tommy(tooloundnproud) sold me a b20 with lots of parts....i was going to install it but i had to switch out the oil pans to one that didnt have oil return lines from the turbo....long story short....i found gold shavings in the oil...took out the main caps and the engine has a spun bearing.

now i either put my a20 back that was working fine or send out the b20 for a rebuild....im going to need the b20 experts on this one. im going for a mild build nothing crazy...something like carotmans build

Dr_Snooz
09-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Sorry to hear that Messy. I don't know anything about it, but I think you should splash out on a proper build. You don't get the chance to build your own motor very often. It sucks that you have to, but you should roll with it and go big.

Seems like everyone is building motors these days.

2oodoor
09-13-2009, 01:17 PM
define your version of spun bearing please for clarification...

You will find shavings in oil pans in race motors, par for the course. Put in new bearings, very very very little cost there dude. Have the rods checked if you think you need to spend money wisely.
YOu have any significant cylinder scarring? Was the motor locked UP?
If no, then you dont have much to worry about with the information you provided thus far.

Ichiban
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
If you spun a main bearing chances are the block is fucked.

2oodoor
09-13-2009, 02:53 PM
If you spun a main bearing chances are the block is fucked.

true, I am not sure what he is seeing and I would have assumed rod bearing or some other ?detection of major issue before concluding to inspect the mains. I would also be interested in a picture and a report of the journals condtion.
Some bearing material or exposed copper doesnt conclude spun bearing IMO, though it would be before at some point logically. That is why you catch these before they spin on the journal, racing motors must be taken care of if your gonna beat em up. New bearings in a raced slash boosted hybrid engine is maintenance to prevent crank/block damage isnt it?

Ichiban
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Spun bearing is defined as some heinous fuckup causing the bearing to weld to the journal, and then to spin in it's bore. There's no inbetween or other interpretation of the situation. It either spun in the bore, or didn't.

mykwikcoupe
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
He called me and asked what I thought about it. i advised to yank the main caps and do a visual inspection. I did not get a confirmation call saying that these were in fact true or false. he said that tommy had swapped out the bearing the last time he blew the ring landings. Normally just swapping the bearing doesnt fix the issue that caused the need for the new bearings in the 1st place.

Tommy had apartly had a boost spike of 20+psi. The bearings are of king manufacture. i know tommy was very hard on his engine and considering used stock cheap replacements im sure just skipped a corner or something. I would like to see a picture becuase alot of wear can be a minimal problem as they wear in. On the other hand he said there was a handful of shaving in the oil pan galley. Im envisioning a chewed crank to match the journal.

MessyHonda
09-13-2009, 10:05 PM
well the engine has 5 end caps and the middle one had the lose bearings with lots of shavings....block was smooth but then i took out the rod bearing and they were showing some wear also on the crank...looks like i could just replace them but i dont want the crank to be out of balance...right now im going to see if a machine shop can check it out

2oodoor
09-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Spun bearing is defined as some heinous fuckup causing the bearing to weld to the journal, and then to spin in it's bore. There's no inbetween or other interpretation of the situation. It either spun in the bore, or didn't.

you sir are correct, but the term could be misinterpreted or mistaken by the novice!

Messy, it would be a good idea to have it checked for tolerances just be careful who does it. This was a hybrid custom crank job I believe? H series rods , custom pistons?

carotman
09-14-2009, 05:09 AM
now i either put my a20 back that was working fine or send out the b20 for a rebuild....im going to need the b20 experts on this one. im going for a mild build nothing crazy...something like carotmans build

:D

I'd do the same thing I did If I was to do it again. The only thing I would change is use stronger rods to begin with. I had the OEM rods polished so it's not too bad.

Anyway, if your crank is bad, just throw it in the garbage or keet it as a living room decoration. You can use any B20A5 crank in your engine. It's not like these aren't common.

RobT5580
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Let me know if i can be of any help i could be of help if you need a specific stock B20A part i have 3 whole setups minus one tranny.

2ndGenGuy
09-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Damn Messy that sucks. Sounds like we've both got some B20A rebuilds to start on here. :)

RobT5580
09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Make it three LOL.....Im planning to get mine to the machine shop soon. The pistons should be in within a month hopefully then i will get it in the shop.

carotman
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Anyone got a running modded/rebuilt B20A besides me?

Come on guys! you can do it.

Ichiban
09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
yeah yeah hold on, I need a B20A to run my car, and another one to mod while I drive around for parts. Rob?

88Accord-DX
09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Spun main bearing, most of the time you have the block line bored w/ undersized bearings. If the crank isn't scored to much, it can be saved. But sometimes will require a new crankshaft, cause it's out of tolerance with the block being line bored to use undersized bearings.

The price to save the block with line boring & machine shop prices isn't worth the price in some cases with spun bearings.

2ndGenGuy
09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I was under the impression that line boring and cutting the caps down can restore the block back to the original specs. And then undersizing was only for the journals on the crank itself if you have it turned (don't on a Honda without rehardening kthx). In fact, I don't think you can buy bearings with a different size OD, just a smaller ID. Or am I way off here?

mykwikcoupe
09-15-2009, 09:50 PM
no john thats how it is suppoosed to work. Honda is wierd like that. I understand it from there point of view but it goes against the domestuc way of rebiulds from the golden days.

MessyHonda
09-16-2009, 12:29 PM
9/16/09 update

ordered wiseco custom pistons

going 81.5 mm bore, 11:1 compression, coated tops and 22mm pin so i can use the h23 rods

mykwikcoupe
09-16-2009, 02:18 PM
since your obviously not going to turbo on those pistons, wanna send me the mani you have? I bet the driveablity will be insane. i dont think anyone has built a higher compression motor.

2ndGenGuy
09-16-2009, 02:41 PM
No! Send me the manifold!! :-P

2ndGenGuy
09-16-2009, 02:49 PM
no john thats how it is suppoosed to work. Honda is wierd like that. I understand it from there point of view but it goes against the domestuc way of rebiulds from the golden days.

I'm talking about line boring though mostly. If your crank is ok, and you get the block line bored, I don't see any reason to use different size bearings.

RobT5580
09-16-2009, 03:31 PM
yeah yeah hold on, I need a B20A to run my car, and another one to mod while I drive around for parts. Rob?

I am not looking to get rid of any of my B20A's but my 3rd is more or less a donor motor so i could possibly part out things if someone needed something particular. Then i have my full turbo setup which should be heading out to the machine shop soon and my other B20A is completely stock and running in my accord right now.

As for the H23 rods you should not have to do any mods i have the Pauter rods in my car with B20A5 Wiseco pistons and i never knew of any mods needed.

And there was that high compression blue hatch in NY i never can remember his name but he bought it from a old member years ago. I don't know what ever came of that and i recall he had issues and was rebuilding it but that was the only high compression B20A i know of.

b20a86lude
09-16-2009, 03:41 PM
wat pauter rods were they h beam h23rods where can i find those

MessyHonda
09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
since your obviously not going to turbo on those pistons, wanna send me the mani you have? I bet the driveablity will be insane. i dont think anyone has built a higher compression motor.
hehe...i might sell it when money is tight

No! Send me the manifold!! :-P
you need to rebuild your engine sir

I am not looking to get rid of any of my B20A's but my 3rd is more or less a donor motor so i could possibly part out things if someone needed something particular. Then i have my full turbo setup which should be heading out to the machine shop soon and my other B20A is completely stock and running in my accord right now.

As for the H23 rods you should not have to do any mods i have the Pauter rods in my car with B20A5 Wiseco pistons and i never knew of any mods needed.

And there was that high compression blue hatch in NY i never can remember his name but he bought it from a old member years ago. I don't know what ever came of that and i recall he had issues and was rebuilding it but that was the only high compression B20A i know of.
thanks for the help rob...when i called wiseco they didnt have any info on the b20a5 pistons so i went with the b16a ones. also im looking at crower h23 rods they have one that is maxi light...so its light but just as strong as a stock one...they said it can be used to 15psi or nitrous set up.

i want to know what valve springs can we use on our heads?

RobT5580
09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Valve springs i have a Ferrea setup with all new valves but dont quote me on this but off the top of my head i think im using B18A springs.

I think the only place to get Wiseco pistons for the B20A5 is www.raceeng.com i have used them in the past and will buy my next set soon enough. I did have an issue last time where the guy sold me wrong stuff but it was to late and in the motor.

AccordB20A
09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
how many people here have rebuilt their b20a with OEM honda bearings?? Seems everyones rebuilding a b20 thats me, messy john etc etc wonder who will make the most power/be the most reliable

since i may have a spare 200 extra dollars a week soon i may improve my motor further with cams and maybe some rods and etc

carotman
09-18-2009, 02:31 AM
I rebuilt mine with OEM bearings.

2ndGenGuy
09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
There are quite a few nice options for the B20A. The Eagle crankshaft (yum!), rods, pistons, valvetrain, cams. I haven't even started looking yet. Trying to save up a few Buxx$ first. I can't even decide how I want to build my engine. Forced induction? Fuel Injection? DCOEs? All these things change the way I want to build the motor and how to budget the money.

mykwikcoupe
09-18-2009, 09:44 AM
your car is carbed. Although it would look cool with mini ranhorm on it i think a set of dcoes or even those individual tb would look the best and cound killer. think of how nice it would be to spank a newer car in a 28 yr old car that sounds like a monster when pressure is applied. My 2 cents anyways.

2ndGenGuy
09-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah, true. Then I think about how fun boost would be. 250hp would trump the fuck out of 200hp with an NA build. But then I could get the same result boosting an A20, so what's the point of having the B20A in the first place?

RobT5580
09-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I agree but the B20A catches eyes at shows for sure but if i could go back the A20A3 is definitely a solid block to boost. I wish i had better luck the first round with my B20A Turbo but i have high hopes for this one once its done.

MessyHonda
09-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Valve springs i have a Ferrea setup with all new valves but dont quote me on this but off the top of my head i think im using B18A springs.

I think the only place to get Wiseco pistons for the B20A5 is www.raceeng.com i have used them in the past and will buy my next set soon enough. I did have an issue last time where the guy sold me wrong stuff but it was to late and in the motor.

alright maybe i can compare b18a springs....also how did they sell you the wrong stuff? i bought b16 pistons

There are quite a few nice options for the B20A. The Eagle crankshaft (yum!), rods, pistons, valvetrain, cams. I haven't even started looking yet. Trying to save up a few Buxx$ first. I can't even decide how I want to build my engine. Forced induction? Fuel Injection? DCOEs? All these things change the way I want to build the motor and how to budget the money.
yeah i would get a crankshaft if i was making more than 200hp i think stock will do for now.

Yeah, true. Then I think about how fun boost would be. 250hp would trump the fuck out of 200hp with an NA build. But then I could get the same result boosting an A20, so what's the point of having the B20A in the first place?

yeah im going na because turbo is just another 3000 bucks...plus tommy sold me most of the performance parts like headers, cams, cam gears, stage 3 clutch, semi rebuilt tranny, and b16 skunk2 mani with 68mm tb...its just going to be a mild build....i just want to make at least 160whp

mykwikcoupe
09-18-2009, 07:10 PM
that should be pretty easy with just a few bolt ons. All you need to do it overcome the perisitical loses of the drivetrain. these engine (goldtop) made that new. With a fresh biuld your set.

John I still think a set of ITB on your old minty would be sweet to see. Pop the hood to reveal that and see the jaws drop. Even just sperate carbs like you had posted before. Honda tuning magazine did a 500hp biuld on b16 using a turbo set. the swapped out the pistons and left EVERYTHING else stock. the head wasnt ported or upgraded. the rods were stock and the crank was as well. Granted this is on a dyno and Im sure they had it tuned for 100 hrs before the article was written but hey. Its been done. Alot of books and such based on honda performance syays the stockers are good to 400 hp. This is of course without detonation and a decent-good tune.

Rob, I really hope you have better luick. the good news it that Ive learned not to try and fix anything before it breaks thatns to you. i was going to go al out and see what top number i could make. Now Im going to get a good biuyld going and add as it breaks or reveals to be a weak link. maybe it wont be much.

RobT5580
09-19-2009, 06:04 AM
I sleeved my block and i went with a stock bore piston/rings so if i had a engine failure i could just bore it out. This was something i went over with the sales rep knowing this was a boosted motor he sold me all the corresponding rings/bearings etc. After getting my motor running the rings never seemed to seat right and i burned oil pretty bad. Come to find out and im not sure how true it is but another rep told me the rings available for stock bore pistons would not be sufficient for a boosted motor. I don't know if this is true but everything else on this block was perfect and the car ran great with the exception of a failed boost controller which resulted in the end failure which i pushed myself knowing i had to pull it apart because of the rings.

MessyHonda
09-23-2009, 06:14 PM
9/23/09 update

ordered the crower h23 maxi light rods only bad thing is that they are going to take 6-8 weeks to make them

Dr_Snooz
09-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Longevity seems to be an issue with the boosted B20s. When you add insane build costs, constant tinkering to get things running right, etc., it may not be so appealing. Just my two cents.

mykwikcoupe
09-23-2009, 08:17 PM
9/23/09 update

ordered the crower h23 maxi light rods only bad thing is that they are going to take 6-8 weeks to make them

the maxi lites are a good rod but an h beam not an i beam. They are plenty strong for a decent biuld but dont go nuts. To the comment of the longevity of b20a biulds they have all been on opposite spectrums. Adam biult his from used parts in a garage overnight. his were never ment to survive. Tommy did basically the same thing using oem parts for a turbo biuld and tried to make the most power he could. Robs biulds were done right but he fell victim to other actions. His first sets were the fauylt of the machinest and the last was a parts guy who doesnt know crap selling the wrong parts. Its hardly enough to doom a engine based on those factors. None have ever had catastrophic failures (windowed blocks, bent rods) the most and majority have been cheap faulty aftermarket head gaskets, and cheap piston landings. Well see as more parts become evident to the swap how much the longevity improves. For the most part these are guys on a budget modifyig 20 year old $3k cars not dropping 6k into a k20 swap on a civic with a t4 turbo.

MessyHonda
09-23-2009, 10:30 PM
the maxi lites are a good rod but an h beam not an i beam. They are plenty strong for a decent biuld but dont go nuts. To the comment of the longevity of b20a biulds they have all been on opposite spectrums. Adam biult his from used parts in a garage overnight. his were never ment to survive. Tommy did basically the same thing using oem parts for a turbo biuld and tried to make the most power he could. Robs biulds were done right but he fell victim to other actions. His first sets were the fauylt of the machinest and the last was a parts guy who doesnt know crap selling the wrong parts. Its hardly enough to doom a engine based on those factors. None have ever had catastrophic failures (windowed blocks, bent rods) the most and majority have been cheap faulty aftermarket head gaskets, and cheap piston landings. Well see as more parts become evident to the swap how much the longevity improves. For the most part these are guys on a budget modifyig 20 year old $3k cars not dropping 6k into a k20 swap on a civic with a t4 turbo.

i went with the maxi lights because its going to be a NA build and the less rotating mass will make the engine rev quicker. i think im going to spend alot more money than i thought but i want to rebuilt the head...so it flows alot more and get it portmatched to my skunk2 mani and dc headers. i still need to find out what springs to use....i know tommy would rev it to about 8.5k on stock springs...i dont want to rev this engine pass 8k

2ndGenGuy
09-23-2009, 10:55 PM
How much were those rods? And where did you order them?

mykwikcoupe
09-24-2009, 09:45 AM
swwet biuld. Nice indeed. Those maxi lites are very nice and a great chioce then. i was under the impression you were going to continue with tommy's turbo biuld. If you jump onto preludepower.com emailrjudgey over there. i have saved someplace a great b20a biuldup but I cannot find my notes from so many years ago. I want to say he movbed the intake valves to the exhaust side based on the larger valve and made the intake valves 34-35mm each. i could be wrong as this is off memory. Hes probably the best guy to ask since he has played with the b20a head before. he offered me a great head work job Id just have to pay shipping. Might work out for you in the long run. Good luck

2ndGenGuy
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Did they say how much those Maxi-lights weigh? I don't see any weight specs online... I'm curious how they'll compare to lightened, stock H23 rods, which are only $97/each. Also, you did notice that the pin end is wider than the stock piston size right?

RobT5580
09-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Also keep in mind i was pretty much a test dummy for boosting this setup. And this was 4 years ago when it was not as common either. Also i was a noob to boosting so i payed a premium to learn but im confident this build will last. And the other builds i would not count as i do not think boosting a stock B20A block is that wise.

In retrospect all said and done I like having something original but dollar for dollar I could have a sick B-Series build but im in this far so I will continue this build to redeem myself. If your looking to make high horse power i would consider boosting the A20A3 its solid and has been proven to hold up under boost.

MessyHonda
09-26-2009, 09:19 AM
How much were those rods? And where did you order them?
i bought them off raceeng.com because they are Washington based so i didnt have to pay sales tax. they are like 752

Did they say how much those Maxi-lights weigh? I don't see any weight specs online... I'm curious how they'll compare to lightened, stock H23 rods, which are only $97/each. Also, you did notice that the pin end is wider than the stock piston size right?

i called them up and he said stock rod is around 550 gram and this one is going to be within 450-480 grams...i will weigh them once they come...but they are going to be strong...up to 15psi or a 75 shot of nos

swwet biuld. Nice indeed. Those maxi lites are very nice and a great chioce then. i was under the impression you were going to continue with tommy's turbo biuld. If you jump onto preludepower.com emailrjudgey over there. i have saved someplace a great b20a biuldup but I cannot find my notes from so many years ago. I want to say he movbed the intake valves to the exhaust side based on the larger valve and made the intake valves 34-35mm each. i could be wrong as this is off memory. Hes probably the best guy to ask since he has played with the b20a head before. he offered me a great head work job Id just have to pay shipping. Might work out for you in the long run. Good luck

yeah i have an extra head...i wanted to check with some local machine shop to get a head ported and polished but flow tested so i have equal flow in all ports

2ndGenGuy
09-26-2009, 10:33 AM
They're Washington based? That sucks because then I do have to pay sales tax. Wah wah wah!

450-480 grams is pretty light. I think that's a good way to go, is get the lightest internals you can go with. Are you going to lighten your crank any? I was thinking about having the counterweights knife edged (not sure if that does anything when you have a windage tray) or just having them reduced down a bit. I read you can knock 2-3 lbs off of most 4 cylinder crankshafts. Then maybe after I get a set of pistons, have a machinist go through and knock a few grams off of each one, then get the whole bottom end balanced. Should make a nice, free revving engine.

I would think those Maxi Light rods would hold more boost than that, but I guess this is an NA build. There's a guy on PreludePower running stock H23 rods in his B20A5 and he's running near 300hp on something like 15lbs of boost reliably.

This is a pretty interesting video on lighetning stock rods, he said he was able to take about 28 grams off each. Which, would not make the stock H23 rods as light as your Maxi Lights, but it might be cost effective depending on how spendy the machine work is!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Modifying-BMW-Connecting_146517.htm

RobT5580
09-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Raceeng is based out of Florida as far as i know and see. My stuff was all shipped from Florida as well and the web site says the same so you should be ok as far as the sales tax goes.

I was lucky when i bought my Pauter rods because they went up in price a bit from when i got them and they should take what ever i plan for the B20A.

snoopyloopy
09-26-2009, 08:06 PM
hmmm much interest. if i happen to win the lottery, i'll join the rebuild club.

AccordB20A
09-28-2009, 12:42 AM
^^ you have a b20 and manual box about dont you? just your motor needs a rebuild

MessyHonda
10-21-2009, 07:15 AM
10-21-09 update

pistons came in...they look sweet...il see if i can get the block ready for the machine shop

also i need to order the gasket kit

2ndGenGuy
10-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Pics!!

MessyHonda
11-17-2009, 12:54 AM
update...i been super busy...just took the block to the machine shop...hope its out next week

A18A
11-17-2009, 02:45 AM
pics

MessyHonda
12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
pics
update 12-15-09
may your wish come true

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/102_0982.jpg

also santa came early and delivered these
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/102_0984.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/102_0983.jpg

next i have to order bearings, lighten flywheel and clutch

Dr_Snooz
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Damn Messy, I'm so glad to see you building it up right. This is going to be so sick.

Rendon LX-i
12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Damn jessie. Looking good bro.

A18A
12-15-2009, 09:55 PM
yay!!!

Civic Accord Honda
12-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Hell yeah!!

2ndGenGuy
12-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Damn dude! Look at you big baller! Those pistons have a hell of a dome on them, what's the compression on that going to be?? I take it you went with H23 rods and B-series pistons? Or did you do B20A5 parts?

RobT5580
12-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Are those B16 pistons? They look different than my B20A5's.

Mine is back in the works as well i feel your pain as im sure you just dropped a bit of cash on the pistons, rods, and machinist.

MessyHonda
12-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Damn dude! Look at you big baller! Those pistons have a hell of a dome on them, what's the compression on that going to be?? I take it you went with H23 rods and B-series pistons? Or did you do B20A5 parts?
yeah b16 pistons that are 81.5mm and they are 11:1...still wanted to keep it street/race

Are those B16 pistons? They look different than my B20A5's.

Mine is back in the works as well i feel your pain as im sure you just dropped a bit of cash on the pistons, rods, and machinist.
yeah they didnt really have b20a5 pistons so i just bought some b16s with a 22mm wrist pin that fit the rods

oh yeah i also picked up some RC 310cc injectors...should be good up to 200hp

Rendon LX-i
12-18-2009, 06:38 PM
thats good. hows the block coming in the shop?

thegreatdane
12-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Sick. That's baller. You should get it CC'ed after you get the pistons in. I'm sure your C/R ratio will be higher than it would have been in a B16A. I'm guessing ~12:1 or more.

MessyHonda
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
update 1/9/10

dropped off the rods this week. still need money to order some other parts

MessyHonda
03-17-2010, 10:19 AM
update 3-17-10

going to go check it out tomorrow....i still need to buy stuff...been stuck paying bill and fixing up the coupe...anyways....i hope this thing is running by next month

2ndGenGuy
03-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Sweet dude! What kinda power you think you'll have out of it?

MessyHonda
04-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Sweet dude! What kinda power you think you'll have out of it?

some one on prelude power did a similar build and untuned they made 150whp...so maybe il be looking at 170whp tuned...im going to buy valve springs since i found out h22 springs work

A18A
04-06-2010, 06:29 AM
this is gonna be super!

2ndGenGuy
04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
^ Agreed. Do the research Messy, so that I don't have to plz. :D

MessyHonda
04-06-2010, 10:32 PM
^ Agreed. Do the research Messy, so that I don't have to plz. :D

http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292538

going to get the head ported and polished and put these springs in.

MessyHonda
04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
update 4/16/10

just bought a 90-01 Fidanza integra flywheel...they say it bolts up to the b21 from the 90-91 lude...now i have to get a nice stage 2 clutch

A18A
04-16-2010, 04:42 PM
don't go destroying b20a gearboxes now :O

Rendon LX-i
04-16-2010, 05:41 PM
lol.....

MessyHonda
04-24-2010, 11:42 PM
my ACT clutch arrived today...just need to put it back together and port and polish the head

AccordB20A
04-25-2010, 12:31 AM
mean, the days getting closer and closer, My builds still stuck at the engine re-builders cause the fuckers haven't given me the price for putting the b16a2 pistons onto my rods. i just wanna chuck it together and make it work

cannot wait to see your motor running

MessyHonda
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/016.jpg

Rendon LX-i
04-26-2010, 11:58 PM
sweet bro

Ronnie Harrison
04-30-2010, 05:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/016.jpg

Hey where did you get your gasket set at? I am looking to rebuild a B20a5 motor soon.

MessyHonda
07-17-2010, 01:33 PM
update...came up on a good deal on a factory b16 LSD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/IMG_0037.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/IMG_0038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/IMG_0039.jpg

my plan is for the ultimate B20 trans.... b18 bellhousing, integra 1-4 gear, accord 5th gear and a b16 lsd...could prob handle up to 200hp with out blowing it up

Rendon LX-i
07-17-2010, 02:10 PM
swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

AccordB20A
07-17-2010, 10:03 PM
you dick you stole my idea, haha i also have a b18 bellhousing and are going to do that but im going to work on a ITR helical LSD if i can, if it dont fit i t can go in the civic :)

how far away is this from being done anyways?

what b16 is your LSd out of and how well does it fit?!?

rjudgey
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Just make sure you put in a new set of syncros for 1-2 and 3-4 for the cost you'd be wise too. And make sure you use Honda MTF anything else just wears the syncros out super fast for some reason!! With my teg box bearings and gears can take the strain but the syncros are the weak area when your running 2000bhp+ might be worth rigging up some kind of trans oil cooler by buying a oil drain bolt with a pipe built in to remove the oil and then same again for the refil bolt to return the oil. An oil pump that then feeds an air to oil cooler with or without a little fan is upto you, possible worth rigging up a thermostat or at least an on off switch so that you can leave it off when cold and just turn it on when it's up to temp and are racing.

2ndGenGuy
07-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Just make sure you put in a new set of syncros for 1-2 and 3-4 for the cost you'd be wise too. And make sure you use Honda MTF anything else just wears the syncros out super fast for some reason!! With my teg box bearings and gears can take the strain but the syncros are the weak area when your running 2000bhp+ might be worth rigging up some kind of trans oil cooler by buying a oil drain bolt with a pipe built in to remove the oil and then same again for the refil bolt to return the oil. An oil pump that then feeds an air to oil cooler with or without a little fan is upto you, possible worth rigging up a thermostat or at least an on off switch so that you can leave it off when cold and just turn it on when it's up to temp and are racing.

2000bhp (!) you might seriously consider more than an oil cooler and some new synchros! :-P

rjudgey
07-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah she can take it!! lol!! Good job he got the LSD!! that will help get all that power to the ground! hehehe!

Seriously though get the syncros changed 3-4 are really cheap at least do these as 3rd is prone to getting killed first as it's the most common gear to cane the F out off.

Hopefully looking at building one of my B20A's soon but I'll be using a B20A tranny and putting in stronger pins into the box so it doesn't rip itself apart!!

Have my big valves ready, just been looking at cams not sure whether to go for the crower or Cat cams, crower cheaper but bit more aggressive Cat cams little more conservative but twice the price.

MessyHonda
09-03-2010, 08:01 PM
update....i left the trans in my car port waiting to get it put in storage...one day i come back its its missing...i think some one stole it to sell it as scrap metal....on another note...the speed shop i took the engine to failed me...nothing had been done to it besides just bore it out...so i took it to redzone performance...they are going to build it...

MessyHonda
10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
at redzone checking out my engine so far

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/055.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/054.jpg

head getting sent for port and polish and the crank to the machine shop

MessyHonda
02-12-2011, 08:51 AM
sorry guys but this build is not going to be completed due to shop not willing to build it and time and money its going to take to even make 200 hp

Rendon LX-i
02-12-2011, 09:24 AM
So that's it

2ndGenGuy
02-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Dude, if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself. Now is the time! Just take the parts in for the machine work, check it all and do the assembly yourself. The assembly is the easy part anyways.

MessyHonda
02-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Dude, if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself. Now is the time! Just take the parts in for the machine work, check it all and do the assembly yourself. The assembly is the easy part anyways.

i should of done it from the beginning....its all taken apart and i have a box full of nuts and bolts...it would just piss me off looking for a bolt...the only way this would work is if i find a stock b20 and just slap the stuff back together

Dr_Snooz
02-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Messy, I'm assuming that your health issue leaves you able-bodied enough to work on the car. If that's not the case, then you can ignore everything I'm about to write. If you have to choose between health and the car, choose health. Always choose health, because if you don't have health, you don't have anything.

I'll be frank. I think you'll regret it terribly if you toss in the towel now. I'm looking over your thread and see just how much time and thought and research and MONEY you have put into your build. This isn't some passing fancy you've gotten tired of. It's a passion that has consumed countless hours of your time, and if you throw in the towel now, I think you'll be sorry. Yes, your build is a mess. Your trans and LSD got stolen. Your engine is a box of parts. Several shops have proven themselves useless and your health has taken a bad turn. That's just life though. Sometimes you get good, mostly you get bad and in the end you get death. I'm on my third 3g engine because I burned up the first one and the second one was rubbish. I've lost count of all the transmissions, but it's somewhere near 5 or 6 that I've gone through looking for a good one. Setbacks are just part of the deal. If you let them defeat you, you'll never achieve your dreams. What you are building will really be something special when you get it done, but it's not the kind of thing that will be easy. Easy is in a shiny box on the shelf at Wal-Mart for $9.98. If you were happy with that, you'd be driving it. Instead, you have chosen a special imported engine with all kinds of HP upgrades. That will be hard, but totally worth it. You've learned that shops are useless and that's a valuable lesson. Never forget it. You're building something that shops can't handle. You have to do it. And you can do it. When you do, you'll find all kinds of talents and resources you didn't know you had. On the other side of this crisis is an awesome engine and the self-confidence that comes from knowing you can handle anything. Just push through it and then you can tell all the rest of us how to build epic engines like you are doing.

So do it!

bullard123
02-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Wow Messy Im sorry to hear your B20A troubles bro!! You know what happened with mine and I know exactly how you feel. My advice to you is just to get it running in stock form bro and do the upgrades later. This thing has amazing power stock and I enjoy driving mine with the few small mods I have. Oh and do you have any extra performance parts laying around?? I'd be interested in buying some from you

bullard123
02-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Oh and I have a B20A5 crank that will work with your B20A..If you make a list of what B20A parts you need I'm sure Me, Rob, Carotman and a few others can help you out:)

MessyHonda
02-15-2011, 08:00 PM
im just going to put it on pause....i still want to finish it but right now the car is sitting at my uncles house where its been there for more than a year...i just miss driving my car...i bought the openloop coupe for a daily but that thing has alot of electrical problems...sorry no performance parts besides a turbo manifold

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2011, 10:33 AM
sorry no performance parts besides a turbo manifold

Say what?

MessyHonda
02-16-2011, 11:14 PM
bullard was asking for performance parts but im keeping everything but the turbo manifold