PDA

View Full Version : I has 5 spd....

mushroom_toy
09-14-2009, 07:21 AM
And it was a huge pain in the ass, and If i get another auto car, I will never swap a manual into an auto again lol, (EDIT: that is fwd anyway) ill just buy a manual. Pulling the manual was easy. Pulling the auto was hell. And now my heater stays cold...and I have a few other simple things for fix like reverse lights, but its good to go, and thank god its done, I have to drive it tow work today. Heres a question, how stiff is yalls clutch and where does it let out. Mines about medium stiffness and lets out at the top, granted its been on the carbed car god knows how long, but I just decided to leave it in till I rebuild in a few months. It should last that long.:hsugh:

Joay
09-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Congratulations, I have my eye on a candidate for the swap so I'm studying my ass off atm. My clutch is pretty soft; feels perfectly normal in everyday driving but if I dump second it slips a lot. My action is all at the top too, I can disengage it entirely by pushing the pedal halfway to the floor.

2oodoor
09-14-2009, 08:42 AM
you all should check your adjustment, you could be driving with the clutch partially "pushed in" because it is not let all the way out. You should have some free play up at the top where nothing happens

Tdurr
09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
^^ how much free play? I guess ill have mine adjusted sometime soon.

but GLAD TO HEAR THIS LUKE!!! woot. finally 5 speed. ready for tunerfest??

2oodoor
09-14-2009, 12:35 PM
^^ how much free play? I guess ill have mine adjusted sometime soon.

but GLAD TO HEAR THIS LUKE!!! woot. finally 5 speed. ready for tunerfest??

not exactly sure what the HOnda spec is but in general all applications I like between 1-2 inch of movement before feeling resistance. It is very simple to adjust, you may want to remove the panel by the tranny on the pass side underneath.

Tomisimo
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
W00t w00t Finally, about time you grow up :P Jk man..

Congrats on the cwap, 5st FTW

Mine is medium hard, but it is long.. I say it disengage just about as soon as you stepp on the pedal.

LX-incredible
09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
not exactly sure what the HOnda spec is but in general all applications I like between 1-2 inch of movement before feeling resistance. It is very simple to adjust, you may want to remove the panel by the tranny on the pass side underneath.

Sounds about right for the adjustment. Are you talking about removing the panel for the TV cable in the second part? I've never needed to remove anything for the clutch adjustment.

Shortening the radiator hose the clutch cable hits on by an inch and straightening out how the cable mounts makes adjustment easier and shortens pedal travel for full disengagement.

2oodoor
09-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes removing the panel for adjusting TV cable on autos does make it easier. I thought I removed it to adjust the clutch cable on my other Accord DX as well. I was in a parking lot without a jack after I just bought it with the clutch slipping. It only took a few minutes to do and I have put thousands of miles on it since. It was hard to access from the top, and what you say makes a lot of sense, good advice!
You really just need to get the cable out of the retainer on the fork, then turn the jam nuts a little so you can still slip it in without pulling the fork out of rest or released positon any more than possible. If the cable is pulling the fork out much that would mean zero freeplay and possibly semi engaged "applied" position. (as if you had your foot resting on the clutch pushing it in slightley) I did not see a how to or faq on this here? Mushroom toy got your camera?

Pico
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Which brand clutch are you running.
On my 88 the pedal is nice and firm but on the 89 it's soft as hell.

itzdave
09-14-2009, 04:48 PM
damn... i cant wait to do my swap. i got all the stuff except for the pedals, couldnt figure out how to get em out of my old car...

my cluch play was all at the top too, fairly firm with a stage 1.

Civic Accord Honda
09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
i cant remember as i havent drivin a car with a normal clutch with cable in ages

mushroom_toy
09-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Clutch in my car is old lol, dont know brand, just swapped it over from the carbed car, im gonna be replacing it in a few months anway so I just stuck it in. Yeah im pretty sure I dont have any free play but it doesnt look like i can adjust it anymore its pretty much all the way out.

Bass Man
09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I am about to the point of pulling my tranny and replacing the pressure plate and severely greasing my throw-out bearing, cuz my left foot hurts right now because of how still my clutch is and I know it's not my cable.

I suggest you do that to yours, too.

Dr_Snooz
09-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Congrats man! I agree with Roodoo on the adjustment. I'd definitely be trying to make the disengagement more in the middle of the stroke. Now on to the engine!

mushroom_toy
09-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Well I mean after driving it today, I guess its more in the middle when it disengages, just not used to driving this car, my trucks clutch is a lot different.