PDA

View Full Version : EX-i smoking while cold

hisnibs
09-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I just bought a '87 EX-i sedan. The Previous Owner said that it needed new valve seals, which I installed on Saturday evening, along with a new Valve cover gasket.

I seafoamed the car with half a can of seafoam into a vacuum line straight into the intake manifold immediately after doing the seals.

Since then, the car has been smoking on startup and on accelleration til it warms up.

The oil is clean as is the antifreeze, so No Milkshake / Bad Head gasket (I hope)

I tried blocking off the lower breather hose and routing the upper breather into a catch can, but it still smokes.

What could this be? Is this a leaky intake manifold gasket or a bad Idle Control Solenoid Valve?

nsstech
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Piston Rings. Time for a new motor.

Also what color is the smoke? Just saying "It's smoking" doesn't really help us out.

charliekuney
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Dude, every single car here in Washington State (even the 2010's) smoke in the morning. Like nsstech said, we need more information. Specifically, the color. :)

hisnibs
09-14-2009, 10:34 PM
It smokes white, but smells like burnt oil.

I'm not getting any crazy blow by that would normally signal bad rings to me

It smokes when it first starts (morning; to go out at lunch or after class) then once it warms up the smoke is basically gone

Demon1024
09-15-2009, 03:42 AM
if you can do a compression test.
check you pcv valve.
how did you do the seals? head on or off? make sure they didnt get torn? (i did this one)
Seals seated correctly?

hisnibs
09-15-2009, 07:07 AM
I used the felpro kit; I installed them with the lil plastic sleeves that come with the kit.
I did it with the head on.

This morning, my coolant was down ~1/2 quart/liter. My plugs were also somewhat fouled with some gooey S#!t.

hisnibs
09-22-2009, 05:57 PM
The car started chewing through coolant and smoking pretty bad, and it was not leaking it out.
I pulled the head and put in a new head gasket as well as a new intake manifold gasket and B18 IM.

Now IT WILL NOT START

Sorry for the caps, but I have checked the cam-to-crank timing, Tried the dizzy in 6 different positions, tried different spark plug wires and different spark plugs.

No Dice. Any clues?

nswst8
09-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Are you getting Fuel? Spark?

hisnibs
09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
The pump is priming when I turn the key and if I hook the plug wire up to a plug and lay it on the valve cover, It does Spark.

SOHC
09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
It smokes white, but smells like burnt oil.

I'm not getting any crazy blow by that would normally signal bad rings to me

It smokes when it first starts (morning; to go out at lunch or after class) then once it warms up the smoke is basically gone

I also Own a 1987 Honda Accord EX-i.

I had the same Problem when the Temperature Drops below 5 C once the car warmed up it went away. Just give it some time.

hisnibs
09-22-2009, 10:57 PM
SOHC:
It was billowing mad clouds of smoke and would do so every time I hit the gas, at least until it was 1/3 of the way up the temp guage.

SOHC
09-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Same here, Mine does it once or twice a year. then stops. it just might be a A20A4 thing.