PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Bearings

parkersnine
09-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Please advise best method of removing the front wheel bearings. Have the whole thing apart(steering knuckle,hub) and does not seem to make sense to reassemble without replacing since the body has over 200K. Do I just need to get a shop to press them in?
Seen some parts retailer sell as unit(hub with studs and bearing) and others sell only bearing.Any suggestions. The '88 coupe is stock.

Rendon LX-i
09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
You would have to take them in to the shop to get them pressed in and out. so yes you would have to take the whole hub assembly with you. I just went to the jk looked for the lowest miles and took those hehe....got some with 80,000 ...thats cause i was poor at the time.

And i would get the hub w/ studs. since are studs are old as crap i had to replace all of my front ones. BTW. so spend the extra cash and get the hub with the studs

LX-incredible
09-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Buy a timken kit that includes the hub. They're about $100 per side, but you'll probably actually save a bit since the shop will charge extra for the studs pressed in and out and removal of the inner race from the hub.

parkersnine
09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
This is what Rockauto.com has listed for 1988 Accord Dx. Is this what you mean? Its around $100. TIMKEN Part # 518505
FWD; Kit = Seal, Studded Spindle, Nut, Bearing; Front

Dr_Snooz
09-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Check your lower ball joints while you have it all out. You'll have to pull it all apart again to get change those, so it's worth doing if they show signs of wear.

LX-incredible
09-16-2009, 11:16 PM
This is what Rockauto.com has listed for 1988 Accord Dx. Is this what you mean? Its around $100. TIMKEN Part # 518505
FWD; Kit = Seal, Studded Spindle, Nut, Bearing; Front

That's the one.

And if you find the lower ball joints to be bad, replace with moog for about $30 per side. You can install those with a bench vice, large C clamp, or even a hammer if you're real ghetto and very careful.

lostforawhile
09-16-2009, 11:27 PM
why would you need to replace the hub itself? these are very durable hubs, just order the good wheel studs, the ARP ones, and put them in, if they have to press out the hub anyway, it's a cinch to put in the studs. the wheel bearings were a bitch to press out, but once the hubs were separated, it took about three minutes per hub to press out and press in new studs.

labeledsk8r
09-16-2009, 11:31 PM
why would you need to replace the hub itself? these are very durable hubs, just order the good wheel studs, the ARP ones, and put them in, if they have to press out the hub anyway, it's a cinch to put in the studs. the wheel bearings were a bitch to press out, but once the hubs were separated, it took about three minutes per hub to press out and press in new studs.

becuse most shops nickle and dime you for pressing and pulling bearings and studs, i know somoen that jus tpaied 80 per side JUST to get bearings pressed in, no new studs same old hub, for the price its a good deal and i wish i had something around that ballpark for my car

and on the note of replaceing the lower ball joint please for the love of god dont use a hammer lol C clamps cost like 6 bucks for a 3 pack at habor freight lol please there very usefull tools to have lol

lostforawhile
09-16-2009, 11:38 PM
If he was down here I would just press them for him,i hate shops nickle and diming people, especially for something as easy as wheel studs.

stat1K
09-17-2009, 07:36 AM
the timken kits for the 3g are 100 dollars a side with new hubs, bearings and studs... that's cheap as shit and that's why i'd get them... wish they had them for the civic, i've just been going through this process too... gonna get a press this weekend and do it on my civic, i'm going to take pictures and do a write up on a hosted site that's mine so it will never get taken down and so people can refer to it forever.