PDA

View Full Version : power steering slow leak and peculating/bubbling noise?

09-17-2009, 07:07 PM
My 88 LXI has been good all year and periodically I have topped off the p/s reservoir (about half a bottle from Honda every 2 months) I cant seem to see where the leak is on the car. When the level gets a little lower than the lower hose on the reservoir the car will make a peculating noise while at idle. When I fill the reservoir back us this noise goes away. Any idea on what is going on here?

hondarules!
09-19-2009, 05:52 AM
what do you mean by a "Peculating" noise. A bubbling noise ?

hondarules!
09-19-2009, 05:54 AM
as sorry I just saw that u did mean bubbling noise.

09-19-2009, 09:45 AM
it sounds like a a bubbling noise, it goes away when the PS res. is topped off. when i went to buy more ps fluid from honda the service guy said the high pressure line usually fails on the accords after time and leaks fluid.

ecogabriel
09-19-2009, 10:43 AM
it sounds like a a bubbling noise, it goes away when the PS res. is topped off. when i went to buy more ps fluid from honda the service guy said the high pressure line usually fails on the accords after time and leaks fluid.

most likely it is your P/S high pressure hose. I had P/S leaks when I got the car; gluid was slowly going down. One was the P/S pump shaft seal; very easy to pinpoint and an easy fix.
In the end, there was another leak and that came from the p/s high pressure hose; if I touched the hose between the p/s pump and the support that holds it parallel to the engine front I would get my hands oily. If I tried bending it a little I could see the wetness between the "wraps" in the hose. :wtf:

I replaced the hose and the leaks are gone now

Other guys in the forum suggested taking the old hose to where high pressure hoses are made/repaired and get the hose (and only the hose) replaced. I do not know if someone actually got to do it but it might be worth considering if you know of such a shop where you live. Anyway, a new p/s hose may run about $30 (that was the price at o'reilly the last time I checked)

mykwikcoupe
09-19-2009, 11:49 AM
yeah the hoses are fairly cheap at $38 from napa. My had a leak just above the manifold as well. My 1st issue was the pump went out. If I parked the car with engine running and turned the wheel from chock to cxhock it would bubble over the reservior and onto the body. Its worth a shot.

LX-incredible
09-19-2009, 02:20 PM
If the reservoir is full and aeration is present, chances are that the pump shaft seal is letting air in (and fluid out as it gets worse).

09-20-2009, 04:50 PM
i checked the high pressure line that runs from the pump to what appears to be the rack at the back of the engine and it appears to be dry. I dont see any oil on the pump. Where should I look on the pump for the shaft seal?. I should get it up in the air to see if its leaking from the rack. Though I never see any oil spots under the car so I have no idea where the heck the PS fluid is going!!!

Dr_Snooz
09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
i checked the high pressure line that runs from the pump to what appears to be the rack at the back of the engine and it appears to be dry. I dont see any oil on the pump. Where should I look on the pump for the shaft seal?. I should get it up in the air to see if its leaking from the rack. Though I never see any oil spots under the car so I have no idea where the heck the PS fluid is going!!!

Yeah, I was thinking rack too. The hose will usually drip fluid onto the exhaust manifold so you'll know it. Check out the rack. At least, just poke your head under the car and see if there's moisture around the gearbox and inner tie rods. If someone dropped the wrong kind of PS fluid in there at any point, it will be your problem.

ecogabriel
09-21-2009, 07:59 PM

If the hose looks dry you may try putting your fingers on the underside of it to see if there is fluid. If it is otherwise dry, take a look at the P/S shaft seal. If the P/S shaft seal leaks you will see a telltale mark on the underside of the hood; the fluid gets there when the pulley turns.
If that does not leak then check the rack (you've been told about it already)...
If it leaks slowly it may drip a little here and there so it would be very hard to see it on the ground. you'll find it.

mykwikcoupe
09-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Im not sure but it may be helpful to have someone turning the hweels as you cheak. It may produce greater pressure and help you find a drip over a wet spot.

11-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Here is an update on my PS system..... currently I still just top off the system about once a month with Honda PS fluid. I haven't had an opportunity to work on it and probably wont until the spring bc the weather is getting pretty nasty here.

Last time I was under the car looking for the source of the leak I saw what appeared to be a metal box where metal lines went into (possibly on the rack) and there was a metal shield on it. This box and the metal lines were all gunked up with fluid so I think this is where my leak is.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

When the weather gets better I intend to power wash the bottom of the car so I can better diagnose the leak.

nswst8
11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
How do your bellows look? Your probably need to change the seals on the rack.