PDA

View Full Version : Paint OverSpray Issues...

King Peetis
09-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I picked my car up from paint and there is a light coat of overspray on everything inside ie the dash, steering wheel, center console,---basically everthing. What is the best way for me to salvage the dash? I need some tried and true mothods of removing this blasted stuff. Ive tried those Magic Erasers and Goof-Off. I hear plain ol' soap and water and a brush work well as does isopropyl alcohol. Help folks, Im geekin for a fix...

Pico
09-20-2009, 01:27 PM
not too sure if it this would work, 3m makes a adhesive remover you can try that to see if it would work.
I would make sure to use a protectant on anything after cleaning up the overspray, you dont want anything to start dying up the vinyl or plastic after using a cleaning chemical on it.

And on a side note, WE DO WE SEE PICS OF THE NEW PAINT :D

King Peetis
09-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks man for the reply; Ill give it a try. I will show off the new paint once the car is restored. I'll post a few on FB first, so you'll be first to see it. Overall the paint looks like a C+. I might have to drop the hammer on the shop that painted it. There are way too many errors, overspray, trash in the paint and fisheyes just yet. They have to fix them before I can show it off.

markmdz89hatch
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Pete, you much show pics. Fisheyes or not dammit.

I'm itching to see this damn thing.

2ndGenGuy
09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
When I was masking off my 2gee, I left a little tiny hole where the windshield was (kicked out the old, cracked windshield before painting) that I didn't notice (I was a noob okay?). During the priming there were specs of primer on the dash, not a lot, but just a few spots in one little area. Unfortunately, I've been completely unable to get them off. I've tried everything. And I think it has something to do with the material the dash is made of, and the way the paint bonds. It's like trying to remove paint from metal, and only the harshest shit is going to do it. I think the kind of stuff that will destroy your dash in the process...

Regardless of how, or where you took it, there should be no overspray inside your car. That's just completely sloppy... I'd go after them for that. At least get the cost of a new dashboard covered. And maybe a little compensation for the labor involved replacing it, unless you figure out a way to clean it...

Or best option, is to take it back and make THEM figure out a way to clean it off. And if they can't, ask WTF they think they can do to solve the problem. Thats just crap...

Where else did they get overspray on your car?

2oodoor
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
what kind of paint? maaco?
go to Paint and body suppy and find stuff called Gone. it works for glue removal too.* on that note there is an overspary product too but not sure teh name right now, *but test a spot first.

Civic Accord Honda
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
that sucks... when i rattle canned my car i thought i could roll my windows to save on masking :lol: (i was like 16 and a ricer LOL)..... well i didn't think about over spray... next thing i know i have a maroon and white speckled dash... best thing i found to get paint off was Mr Clean Magic erasers and even they didn't get it all off... they work great on getting paint off other things tho like the windscreen...

gp02a0083
09-21-2009, 11:35 AM
if you had a shop paint it it shouldn't have over spray on the interior, hell that's basic auto painting 101 MASK AND SEAL EVERYTHING!! even a small 8mm bolt hole can cause that. if its got fish eyes and stuff and a prof. shop did it , id bitch about it , make them sand it flat again and respray it. if its got fish eyes then there was some kinda chemical contamination, junk in the airlines or when it was detailed at some point or in the shop silicone products were used , but that's just one case that could happen.

you could try using a little bit of rubbing compound to remove over spray on the interior stuff like the dash.

2oodoor
09-21-2009, 01:26 PM
majic eraser does work great on a lot of things, also zep upholstry wipes work miracles..similar compounds I believe.

good point not to let the shop get by too much, unacceptable unacceptable unacceptable... practice saying it with glaring eyes like you're kwazy... lol

gp02a0083
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
go to them , give them these crazy eyes and the jedi hand trick

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/lawren71/CrazyEyes-Jedi.jpg?t=1253574413

King Peetis
10-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Well I fought like a champ but I couldnt hold the title. Looks like Im gonna be suing the shop. I got most of the overspray off the dash and what I couldnt remove I simply went to the yard and got new parts. works well for now. I'll have some pics up soon. In all; the car looks great. Thanks for the advice fellas and be on the look out--Promise, the pics will be up before December.

mykwikcoupe
10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
HMM< Id like to hear more about the shop. I worked in an autobody shop and even the cheap insurance jobs got treated like they were the out of pocket customizers. If we couldnt make them happy, we found someone who could. Sorry to hear this bad dilemma. Id like to see pics on whether your picking apart a decent job or if they took a handfull of sand and toosed it at the car mid stream of paint. Every new paintjob will some sort of an issue but that is just unexcusable not to fix it.

My own horror story. VW seats. The cloth type from the late 90's jetta. If a bodyman sat in a seat, it was going to have white residue forever. The fabric is so tight and pyle so thick I couldnt get the primer/bondo/sealer dust out of it for anything. If the sun hit the lighter colors just right you could see it. The darks always showed. We even introduced new shop policy and that didnt fix all the cars.

Ive got all the extra interior parts you need. You just have to come get them. Sorry

Juggalo88Accord
10-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Well i seem to have gotten to this thread a little late. im not sure about dash overspray but wen i first got my car i painted tha trim around tha windows and got over spray on most of tha roof and in tha door hinges a product called clay bar got it all off in less than an hour. i dont think it would be bad to use on interrior because it basically is what tha name says a peaice of clay tha looks like a bar of soap just scub for a minute and over spray is gone. Tha best 20 dollars ive ever spent.

lostforawhile
10-08-2009, 12:09 PM
HMM< Id like to hear more about the shop. I worked in an autobody shop and even the cheap insurance jobs got treated like they were the out of pocket customizers. If we couldnt make them happy, we found someone who could. Sorry to hear this bad dilemma. Id like to see pics on whether your picking apart a decent job or if they took a handfull of sand and toosed it at the car mid stream of paint. Every new paintjob will some sort of an issue but that is just unexcusable not to fix it.

My own horror story. VW seats. The cloth type from the late 90's jetta. If a bodyman sat in a seat, it was going to have white residue forever. The fabric is so tight and pyle so thick I couldnt get the primer/bondo/sealer dust out of it for anything. If the sun hit the lighter colors just right you could see it. The darks always showed. We even introduced new shop policy and that didnt fix all the cars.

Ive got all the extra interior parts you need. You just have to come get them. SorryI have to wonder about a shop that didn't use cheap plastic seat protectors over the seats before work. you can even use a couple of heavy lawn and leaf bags and masking tape, put them over the seats before any kind of body work.

mykwikcoupe
10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I have to wonder about a shop that didn't use cheap plastic seat protectors over the seats before work. you can even use a couple of heavy lawn and leaf bags and masking tape, put them over the seats before any kind of body work.

the issue is like he said. When you paint the car it gets enveloped in a cloud of debris. The same when block sanding the jams or any reason having the doors open. The shopo itself took every precaution to protect the cars. Besides insurance we wouldnt touch a private job for less then 25k. We specialized in classics older than 1950 and super high end types like ferraris, porche, high end benz and such. Its nice working in a neighborhood where the average house is 2mil.

headbanger
10-08-2009, 06:23 PM
the guy who painted mine just took off door panels and plasticed of the entire hole where door shuts then painted not to hard just takes a little time most places that work on volume dont take this time.denatured alcohol works great but might take the dye out of dash componets dunno.

King Peetis
05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
The answer for overspray is: Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover. It only took me 9 months to figure it out.:squint:

http://www.krudkutter.com/graffitiremover.asp

Dr_Snooz
05-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Nice work! Thanks for the tip.

Tomisimo
05-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Have to remember that.. Nice work indeed!

frantik
05-31-2010, 05:53 PM
it's funny that that product says it contains "no solvents" but if you read the datasheet it is clearly made of ethyl alcohol and ether.

2oodoor
06-01-2010, 12:35 AM
The answer for overspray is: Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover. It only took me 9 months to figure it out.:squint:

http://www.krudkutter.com/graffitiremover.asp

did this get done yet? 9 mos to discover krud kutter or 9 more mos.. :tongue:

ive mentioned a few other products that work as well and the more important aspect of any product youre using is not only will it loosen up or cut the overspray but how does it affect the surfaces you are restoring. That said, you could wind up using a variety of "formulas" to completley take care of the issue.

King Peetis
06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
did this get done yet? 9 mos to discover krud kutter or 9 more mos.. :tongue:

ive mentioned a few other products that work as well and the more important aspect of any product youre using is not only will it loosen up or cut the overspray but how does it affect the surfaces you are restoring. That said, you could wind up using a variety of "formulas" to completley take care of the issue.

Well I have tried several different methods; some were effective and some were just hype. Krud Kutter worked the best. Wipe on wipe off, that simple. the surface looked untouched after the application. I followed up with a vinyl cleaner/conditioner and it look fabulous.

King Peetis
06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Also try this stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLCAjcm84Ss

Its called Fairy Power Spray. I think its a kitchen cleaner but watch as it removes paint from dudes plastic gun...