PDA

View Full Version : air intake system question

BoogerBurns
09-20-2009, 06:19 PM
i have a 87 LXi with the 2.0 FI. I need to ask a question about interchangeability. The tube to hook the number 17 vaccum line is snapped off. I tried to run it from the other side of the manifold and it didnt work. My question is, is our air cleaner tube/intake tube specific to our years? OR can i grab on from say a 90-93? Need help!! I had a 1993 accord once, it looked like the same intake, but I cant be sure. Thanks in advance!:cool:

1987AccordLx-i
09-20-2009, 07:25 PM
i have a 87 LXi with the 2.0 FI. I need to ask a question about interchangeability. The tube to hook the number 17 vaccum line is snapped off. I tried to run it from the other side of the manifold and it didnt work. My question is, is our air cleaner tube/intake tube specific to our years? OR can i grab on from say a 90-93? Need help!! I had a 1993 accord once, it looked like the same intake, but I cant be sure. Thanks in advance!:cool:

if its just the little rubber hoses then yea you can get them off any car.. just have to measure it and put the marking from the original.. and the intake piping is specific to only the 86-89 accord FI models... but in your case its only 86-87 because the 88-89 had the intake system modified

lostforawhile
09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
once you get five posts you can put up pictures, or just email them to me [email protected] I'll see if i have anything that will help you.

BoogerBurns
09-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Yeah, im talking about the piping. The vacuum hose I already picked up at autozone, for like $1.80. No problem! So its going to have to come off a 86-87. Thats going to be hard to come by!

lostforawhile
09-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, im talking about the piping. The vacuum hose I already picked up at autozone, for like $1.80. No problem! So its going to have to come off a 86-87. Thats going to be hard to come by!
are you talking about the big piping that connects the tube to the throttle body? why not just fix it?

BoogerBurns
09-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah, the tube that is under the throttle body, and its plastic and hooks up after the air filter. I cant, I dont have the plastic piece. I just sealed it shut so it stops leaking vacuum.

BoogerBurns
09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
And btw, cant take pictures right now, as im in the metro atlanta area and its pouring, and its flooding everywhere!

1987AccordLx-i
09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah, the tube that is under the throttle body, and its plastic and hooks up after the air filter. I cant, I dont have the plastic piece. I just sealed it shut so it stops leaking vacuum.

like this?
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq280/afazz65/plumbing/100_1251.jpg

or the air filter box piping?

BoogerBurns
09-22-2009, 05:41 AM
i have the stuff in the picture, i need the air filter box piping, that is after the air filter, not the tube leading up to the box, just the stuff after it. Does this make any sense?
Mine is stock, after the air filter it wraps around in a U fashion up to the acutual throttle body. But right before it meets the throttle body it hooks up two vacuum lines that go to the control box (black box). A big one and a small one. The small one is broke off. And thats what I need.

ecogabriel
09-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Mine is broken exactly the same way. What that hose does is allow air (filtered air) to circulate inside the air box for the EGR solenoid. There is really no vacuum there as it is before the throttle body and the intake manifold
I plugged the hole in the u-pipe (like you did) to prevent dirty air from entering the engine and left the other hose unhooked; it won't make a difference except for allowing dirty air to circulate inside the box.
But you cannot plug the hose or your EGR valve would be forced to open and the engine will run like crap.

I checked that particular circuit as I had EGR valve problems
I'm thinking on getting it fixed though; a piece of copper pipe or something of that sort. I also thought of putting a T-connector in the larger hose to connect the smaller (#17) to it.

BoogerBurns
09-30-2009, 04:49 PM
That didnt work for me, it just kept throwing a code, because it couldnt open the EGR vavle. I would not recommend doing that. Go get another U tube and do it right.

ecogabriel
09-30-2009, 05:32 PM
That didnt work for me, it just kept throwing a code, because it couldnt open the EGR vavle. I would not recommend doing that. Go get another U tube and do it right.

My hose was left loose when I got the car; in the end I plugged the hole in the intake (the plastic u-shaped pipe) so dirty air does not get sucked into the engine. If the #17 hose is plugged then the EGR does not work. It's better to get it back where it is supposed to be but I still have to find a tiny pipe that fits in there. But the EGR is working and no codes.