PDA

View Full Version : Slow to start

1868ccmgb
09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
This has probably been beat to death before, but I couldn't find an answer in the search button.
I have
86 accord LX-i
120k miles
5spd
dead stock

The car is slow to start first thing in the morning or after sitting for a few hours. Once it starts it runs without the slightest hiccup, and if shut down and restarted within a half hour it will fire right back up.

This is more of an annoyance rather than a problem, but my Megasquirt MGB which I tuned will start within 2 seconds of turning the key every time no matter the temperature! Why won't the Accord fire right up?

Bass Man
09-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Is it turning over slowly or does it take a while to finally start?

Bass Man
09-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Common issues for slow turn-over is corroded cables or connections, or even a low-battery. Check the water in the battery before you replace it.

1868ccmgb
09-21-2009, 06:57 AM
The starter and battery are fine actually, has a new alternator as well. This is something related to the ignition or injection system.

I wonder if it is taking a few seconds to pull the vacuum to a point that the ECU with all of its bajillion hoses can understand.

I am not new to cars, technical answers are no problem.

Thanks,
Rob

Oldblueaccord
09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Search for Main relay and TW sensor. Both of these can give you a no start condition. The main relay wont latch the fuel pump in and the TW sensor will make the car very rich esp at start up. I did a right up on the main relay in the efi section and you can google it also. You can jump it out to test it or just replace it.

The other one i can think of is ignition switch. You wont see your idiot lights on the dash light when you crank it.

heres one I have book marked.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60400&highlight=TW+sensor

wp

w261w261
09-21-2009, 09:31 AM
When my TW sensor was going, it generated 6 flashes on the ECU under the drivers seat. Have you checked that (look under the driver's seat from the back if I remember right, there might be a cover). On the main relay, take out the change drawer on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, and look up and to the left for the white box. Give it a sharp rap and see if that makes a difference. The main relay develops micro-cracks which need to be resoldered, or just get a new one. Removal and installation is a PITA.

1868ccmgb
09-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. The car always starts, its just slow about it some times. But after the initial fire, it will fire right back up normally.

I have not checked the ECU yet. Is there a light to flash on the ECU? The PGM EFI light on the dashboard has never flashed once. I know how to flash the light on American vehicles, is the data connector on the computer under the drivers seat?

Dr_Snooz
09-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Describe what you mean by "slow to start." Do you mean that it takes excessive cranking of the starter or that it fires quickly but chugs to normal idle speed?

1868ccmgb
09-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Sorry, I do suppose that my initial post was a bit vague.

The car always starts.
First start of the morning it will often take excessive cranking to get it to fire. Upon first firing it will chug for a second and then will begin to idle at its warmup high idle.

After first start of the day it will normally refire within a second or two of turning the key. The exception to that is, car gets driven to school in the morning and sits for 8 hours before being driven again, it will take a few seconds of spinning to fire.

To add to the confusion, right now we have morning temperatures of about 65 degrees and the car is starting pretty well. In the summer when its 95 degrees it will be slow to start.

After doing some additional reading about the TW sensor, I am seeing some similar issues that may indicate that as the culprit. High idle (12-1400rpm) after running for an hour in the summer, and hunting idle during warmup in the winter.

w261w261
09-22-2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. The car always starts, its just slow about it some times. But after the initial fire, it will fire right back up normally.

I have not checked the ECU yet. Is there a light to flash on the ECU? The PGM EFI light on the dashboard has never flashed once. I know how to flash the light on American vehicles, is the data connector on the computer under the drivers seat?

The ECU will be just flashing away if it has picked up something. Someone else that remembers better than I can chime in here, but I think there's a little cover or something that you just pull down, reaching in from the back seat well.

1868ccmgb
09-23-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks, I looked at the ECU and it has no flashing light in the window.

Does this sound like a potential TW sensor issue? I know that a slow responding sensor sometimes won't throw a CEL.

w261w261
09-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Next time it's slow to start, try rapping the main relay. If the TW sensor is going, I think it usually sends a 6-flash code.

AZmike
09-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Before I got my code 6 the car was not running quite right, especially at startup. The TW sensor may not be bad enough for the ECU to pickup on it, but bad enough to cause your problem. For around $20 it's a relatively cheap experiment that may solve your problem.

w261w261
09-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Before I got my code 6 the car was not running quite right, especially at startup. The TW sensor may not be bad enough for the ECU to pickup on it, but bad enough to cause your problem. For around $20 it's a relatively cheap experiment that may solve your problem.

Yeah, for 20 bucks it's worth throwing in a new one anyway. I remember when mine was going, it took a month or so, gradually getting worse, until the day I replaced it in the parking lot of the Honda dealer (I had ordered it, so the couple of days until it arrived were a little touchy), I had been afraid to turn the car off because I didn't think it would start again.