PDA

View Full Version : My SEI Coupe Has Been Hit

SILENT
09-22-2009, 08:47 AM
On 09/19/2009 my baby was hit by no other than a fucking stupid toyota corolla!!! the damage doesn't look bad except for the trunk not closing... it was hit on the right rear quarter panel but it has bent the trunk frame i guess!!! i really don't know but the insurance is going to write it off but I've spent too much money on this car so I'm going to buy it back!!! ill have better pictures soon... yall tell me if it worth fixing???

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww68/Eldjcatrachito/SSPX0153.jpg

2ndGenGuy
09-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Jesus that sucks! Get all you can out of those insurance fuckers! Don't settle with them until you get enough money to buy another SE-i coupe in the same condition! I hate insurance fuckers! They'll try to fuck you in the ass at every turn!

2drSE-i
09-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Personally, these cars are always worth fixing. Problem is, it really won't be cost effective for you to do so. That car is pretty far gone. Good luck with the insurance companies man...

Joay
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Damn, yeah... that isn't worth fixing. I mean, it is, considering it's otherwise a solid car, but that's considerable structural damage. Remember insurance's job is to put you back where you were (i.e. driving a mint SE-i), not buy the car from you for what most people would pay. That's what you pay them for, make them do their job.

Jesus your back seat looks nice.

SILENT
09-22-2009, 09:11 AM
damn man i fucking hate this!!! i don't want to get rid of this car but yeah i thinks fixing it is going to be an arm and leg but it i think its worth it!!! i did a kbb search and it says $1295 for good and $995 for fair!!! I'm hoping to receive back in the price range!!! so i can fix it!!!

Joay
09-22-2009, 09:19 AM
damn man i fucking hate this!!! i don't want to get rid of this car but yeah i thinks fixing it is going to be an arm and leg but it i think its worth it!!! i did a kbb search and it says $1295 for good and $995 for fair!!! I'm hoping to receive back in the price range!!! so i can fix it!!!
Try to find a couple SE-is like yours before it was hit and point out that the lowest you can find one for it like $2500. Like I said their job has nothing to do with the blue book; they use that a lot, but it's not actually what they're for.

2ndGenGuy
09-22-2009, 09:21 AM
$1295, yeah right. You'll NEVER find a clean one for that price. Start searching Craigslist and look for some mint ones.

This one isn't even a coupe and probably isn't as nice as yours:
http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/1379922341.html

This isn't even nice, and they want $1200 for it:
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1363227640.html

Anyways, that's all I could find with my quick search and limited time... Best of luck to you.

Pico
09-22-2009, 10:01 AM
That sucks, fight with the ins co don't settle for less than you think is fair. Buy the car back if you get a fair settlement and fix the car back up.
I'm still fighting with the ins co from when my 88 got hit and they pretty much told me that the car is totaled but have not givien me a $ amount yet and I'm going on a month and a half since the accident and phone them everyday.

Pico
09-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Dp

SILENT
09-22-2009, 10:08 AM
they are trying to give me $850 for and $730 to buy it back!!! what shall i do???

2ndGenGuy
09-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Tell them to eat a dick! That's bullshit! Don't accept the offer! Demand more! The burden is on you to prove how much the car is worth.

SILENT
09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
i'm new @ this... how do i go about it??? they said i have a deadline for tomorrow

Zehv42
09-22-2009, 10:50 AM
they are trying to give me $850 for and $730 to buy it back!!! what shall i do???

That sucks... I thought they usually charge much less to buy it back.

2ndGenGuy
09-22-2009, 11:01 AM
A deadline? Or what? Tell them you don't accept the offer! That your car is worth much more! There's no deadline, that's bullshit! $730 to buy it back? Then you'll have no money and a wrecked car! Bullshit to the max man! Call the agent and get pissed! Ask them why $850 is even REMOTELY fair? Tell them there are multiple examples of lower trim level Accords that sell for WAY more than that. And that the SE-i can hardly even be found! Fuckers ARGH!!

nswst8
09-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Your option here is to file a small claims suit for the fair value of your car. Any and all receipts that you have paid in fixing the car, what you paid for the car. And what it is going to cost you for being put back to the way you were before the accident.

Indemnity: is to put you back the way you were before the accident. You will win your case.

Since you are dealing with the other car owners insurance company they are going to low ball you. Let them know that you mean business by letting them know that you will file suit against them for fair value.

When you speak with the insurance adjuster, ask them for the legal address to forward small claims summons.

You will have to fight, took me and my father almost 5 months we even filed the small claims paper work and the insurance company was served. They called to inform us that the paperworks was filed in the wrong office. But that they would settle for what we were asking for $5000

SILENT
09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
alright will do man thats sucks i ain't have no freaking saved receipts!!! and i did all the work myself

Hazwan
09-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Man that sucks :( Good luck dealing with the insurance!

Rendon LX-i
09-22-2009, 12:33 PM
if you cant fix it....you can always sell me your rear disk LOL......but damn dude that fucking blows...how you get it all straighten out

nswst8
09-22-2009, 01:04 PM
alright will do man thats sucks i ain't have no freaking saved receipts!!! and i did all the work myself

Doesn't matter, if you go before the judge you can plead your case. Receipt will always help but not necassary. Just inform the judge you do your own work and what you have done to date and an estimate of the the cost involved.

Although I don't think you will be going to court, they will settle. It will cost them more to go to court then it would to just settle with you. But you have to maintain the impression that you will file suit. They will play the wait game with you.

Do not accept any money from them except an acceptable settlement.

You do have to figure an acceptable dollar figure.

Post some more pics so we can give you some estimates.

w261w261
09-22-2009, 02:01 PM
It isn't necessarily what you have spent on your car, although that figure can be used to adjust the value up. What is relevant is the *value* of the car. Now that these autos are 20+ years old, the values quoted in the "blue books" are sometimes way, way off. My son's '92 Subaru SVX, for example, has a value in one book of $3500 and in another, $800.

I think you should troll the various Craigslists, and print out the cars and the asking prices (leave off the beaters). Take these printouts to the adjuster, along with a value that you feel is appropriate (if the seats and finish on your car are good, I would think that it would be worth around $1,800, more if you have extras such as better shocks and springs).

Just looking at the picture, if the left side is as bad as the right, you have a couple of grand worth of fixing probably. If they agree to give you something less than the cost to fix it, but close, it might be worth it to you to take it, keep the car, and kick in a few hundred to get even (if you love the car). Or if you can agree on a salvage value, they should pay you that, minus maybe $300 to sell it back to you. But then you'd have a salvage title, will have to re-register it as a salvage vehicle (which here is CT is a major hassle - they really put the car through the 3rd degree), and go from there. You could do that, keep the leather interior, buy another SE-i coupe, swap stuff around, and then junk your shell. Lots of options, but all conditioned on getting the insurance company to agree on your value.

This "decide before tomorrow" is total bullshit. What company is this anyway? They need to be beat up some. I agree with nswst8. Get some Craigslist copies, go see them and say "I want $______, if not I'm going to go through the court, I have plenty of time, and I hope you do too."

Whatever happens, this will be a good life experience for you. GL.

Vanilla Sky
09-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a Lizard tactic to me.

LewZur
09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
On 09/19/2009 my baby was hit by no other than a fucking stupid toyota corolla!!! the damage doesn't look bad except for the trunk not closing... it was hit on the right rear quarter panel but it has bent the trunk frame i guess!!! i really don't know but the insurance is going to write it off but I've spent too much money on this car so I'm going to buy it back!!! ill have better pictures soon... yall tell me if it worth fixing???

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww68/Eldjcatrachito/SSPX0153.jpg

Man, I'm sorry that happened to you. I hate dealing with insurance companies. I had a drunk guy pull his car into the rear mine(I was parked and he was trying to park in my space) and they found me at fault? I still haven't wrapped my head around that one. I agree with Joay and the others find cars similar to yours (in condition) and give that to the adjuster. Whatever happens man I wish you the best:cheers:

Civic Accord Honda
09-22-2009, 02:59 PM
buy it back pull the rear interior and bang as much of the dent as you can out bend whatever is causeing the trunk not to shut back in to space and drive it like theres no tomarrow ^_^ no point in sending a good running car to the junkyard over some dents

nswst8
09-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Insurance company has time on their side, this is your disadvantage but you do have the power of the small claims court. Again it will cost them more to appear in court than to just settle.

Find your values and push for your satisfaction. Demand fair value. You tell them if they can find you a SEi in the same condition as your for the value they are offering you then buy it for you.

They are trying to take advantage of you and your inexperience. Fight it. make no decisions until you have time to think about it. They CANNOT force you to accept their settlement. And it doesn't expire.

By "LAW", it is "THEIR" responsibility to put you back to the way you were before the accident.

charliekuney
09-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Show them the posting for that $5,000 SE-i with 70k miles. Show them what it's really worth. Screw KBB and NADA; they don't count the rarity or demand of a car. The SE-i BlueBook's for about the same as the LX-i.

SILENT
09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Im still going to fight it but ive came across a grey sei coupe i better condition with a blown head gasket... will buy and use my sei as a donor!!! she will live on even with a different shell!!! also will be a plus because i will be upgrading my lx suspension!!!

headbanger
09-22-2009, 07:15 PM
wouldnt use that company for insurance again That is total crap.

mykwikcoupe
09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
swapping everything over is alot easier than people think. Especially if you have both cars side by side. Ive done it twice by neccessity. The full interiors are a cool swap. Just be sure you dont have parts left over. Keep all the hardware in the car it comes from. The grey seis are the better looking but I love the greenish blue exterior of yours. Not a fan of tan leather myself. Best part is if you can buy yours back you can make up for any loss in parts or upgrades with the parts you can sell. I wouldnt buy it back for more than 300 myself. Thats about all the parts are worth.

charliekuney
09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I second Mike's statement about swapping parts.

lostforawhile
09-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Personally, these cars are always worth fixing. Problem is, it really won't be cost effective for you to do so. That car is pretty far gone. Good luck with the insurance companies man...that damge is nothing i've seen far worse.

2ndGenGuy
09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
that damge is nothing i've seen far worse.

If you've got a frame puller, and your dad is a bodyman.... Yeah it will only take 3-4 weekends to get it done, no problem.

jasonrebellion
09-22-2009, 09:44 PM
thats bullshit man! i had an ol 88 jetta and my insurance totaled it when it got hit in a parking lot, paid me 1600 for it, let me buy it back for 300, and since it wasn't really totalled in the physical sense, left the title alone....so it was still clear. they're tryin to rip you off man

griffonks
09-23-2009, 06:32 AM
What insurance company is low balling you? Screw them let us know who sucks! Sorry for your loss, it was a nice looking 3gee

headbanger
09-23-2009, 06:20 PM
well worth fixin though

MessyHonda
09-23-2009, 06:23 PM
that is not cool..dont give in to the insurance companies

blazin3gen
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
fight that shit i went through a whole hassle with Esurance. they suck balls

SILENT
09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
geico is the one screwing me up!!! but next sei i going to get is much nicer the only thing i will miss is the green paint!!! i really don't feel like playing these games with insurance alot of ppl have told me you'll end up spending more money trying to fight so i think i'm gonna give in only bkuz i have a another sei im going to purchase!!! here are the pics

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww68/Eldjcatrachito/Feb-09171.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww68/Eldjcatrachito/Feb-09172.jpg

The only problem i have this one is a auto!!! i'm going to try the swap hopefully everything will go smooth!!!

SILENT
09-23-2009, 07:34 PM
how should i go about getting more money tho??? i dont want sue or anything like that... that cost money that i dont have!!!

Civic Accord Honda
09-23-2009, 07:42 PM
that sei looks great man same color my step dads was

mykwikcoupe
09-23-2009, 08:10 PM
just tell them this is the eqivelent car what yours was and they need to give you enough to buy it. if they dont, dont settle. Should do it. Also tell them you have enough in maintence recently to assume the parts car as a whole. Basicaly make them give you enough to buy back your car or make them give it to you. If you have reciept for 6 months of anything of any sort you can claim that as upkeep. They have to reimburse you the actual cost.

The 5 speed swap is pretty easy, Ive done 4 and can walk you though the entire thing step by step withoput even doing it. The hardest part is fitting and removing the pedals without removing the dash. They fit its just a tight fit is all. Nice looking car. Sell me the interior. swap your old interior. Yeah, that would look great

nswst8
09-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Your already letting them win. I paid $135 dollar filing fee to win $5000. Now tell me how I spent more than I was going to win. When you refuse to make a stand you win nothing.

What does it cost you to find out the filing fee for your county court house. And use that as a leverage tool to obtain fair value for your car. Letting them know that you are familiar with the court system tells them that you just might file.

Remember it cost them more to go to court with you than to settle with you.

But if you can't wait it out, take the settlement.

Vanilla Sky
09-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Also, talk them down on the buyback. I want the SEi wheels.

ecogabriel
09-24-2009, 04:04 AM
I've seen worse damage; problem is as you said it is not cost-effective to fix.

I got the same problem when my wife was rear-ended while driving the Civic (another f... toyota involved too...). The company -incidentally the one in which I have insured my own clunkers- wanted to total it. I managed to get almost 70% of what they said was the value of the car. I could have gotten more money if I surrendered the title (close to 90%), but that forced me to get a "rebuilt" title (not a problem in a car that old) but I had to take the car to a state inspection before getting the title. Since nobody was able to tell me what that inspection was about i took the final offer (they started offering much less) and fixed it.

Oh, and the insurance involved in my case was Geico too.

I do not have more time but I discover some interesting things on how insurance companies do business around here; for one, it was difficult to find a shop that wanted to take on my car even if I had wanted to to the repair paying it out of my pocket... "I do not take cars that were totalled by companies" told me one guy... maffia???

Hope this helps.

Hey, I like the new coupe you got... wow!

Vanilla Sky
09-24-2009, 04:41 AM
I'm glad we dumped Geico when we got our new car.

lostforawhile
09-24-2009, 06:53 AM
I've seen worse damage; problem is as you said it is not cost-effective to fix.

I got the same problem when my wife was rear-ended while driving the Civic (another f... toyota involved too...). The company -incidentally the one in which I have insured my own clunkers- wanted to total it. I managed to get almost 70% of what they said was the value of the car. I could have gotten more money if I surrendered the title (close to 90%), but that forced me to get a "rebuilt" title (not a problem in a car that old) but I had to take the car to a state inspection before getting the title. Since nobody was able to tell me what that inspection was about i took the final offer (they started offering much less) and fixed it.

Oh, and the insurance involved in my case was Geico too.

I do not have more time but I discover some interesting things on how insurance companies do business around here; for one, it was difficult to find a shop that wanted to take on my car even if I had wanted to to the repair paying it out of my pocket... "I do not take cars that were totalled by companies" told me one guy... maffia???

Hope this helps.

Hey, I like the new coupe you got... wow!yea they passed a law here that said cars that were totaled had to be rebuilt by certified rebuilders, BS, dumbest thing i've ever heard.

SILENT
09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
alright guys i settled for $730 and got my car back!!! im either gonna buy a new sei or my just fix my current one!!! all is in the air right now!!! f**k geico and gonna get full coverage once i get a new sei!!! and claim all my work!!!

mykwikcoupe
09-24-2009, 08:14 PM
how much is the grey one. Im sure you can make another 5-600 easy on parts from yours. Part as many parts as you can and go buy the grey one if the body is in fact mint as it looks. Otherwise try to fix yours but it will take an expierence bodyguy to get those wrinkles out.

nswst8
09-24-2009, 08:18 PM
You are getting experienced.

ecogabriel
09-25-2009, 07:41 AM
yea they passed a law here that said cars that were totaled had to be rebuilt by certified rebuilders, BS, dumbest thing i've ever heard.

I did not know that law in GA but I am not a least bit surprised.
There is a "maffia-like" arrangement between insurance companies and repair shops; shops get business but won't touch cars whose owners did not accept the insurance "recommendations"; I experienced the "I do not fix your car" firsthand...
So I took the "second offer" I got (about $1200, first offer was about $800) and got the car straightened out.
A salvage situation would have given me more money but given the uncertainty of "inspection" I decided against it. At least the company guy ended up being nice and gave me the money options. It turned out he owned a 4G Civic with almost 300K on the clock

Unfortunately, because our cars are old they are one collision away from the junkyard; we got unlucky one day (or an idiot on our way) and we're done.

BAck to the thread, the grey coupe looks great; I'd go for it

2ndGenGuy
09-25-2009, 08:43 AM
You are getting fucked in the ass.

Fixed that for ya.

nswst8
09-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Great translation!

SILENT
09-25-2009, 09:35 AM
umm the grey one is $600 but willing to negociate if i pick up... its in philly pa and im in va so kindve a drive but worth it!!! but the guy wants to sell asap and i havent heard from him in two days ill keep tryin if not keep looking!!!

Vanilla Sky
09-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Rent a U-Haul dolly and borrow a truck and tow it down. Neg down to $500 and send me your old SEi wheels :D

Seriously, how much for them, and in what condition are the tires? I can do the greyhound shipping just fine.

lostforawhile
09-25-2009, 10:55 AM
I did not know that law in GA but I am not a least bit surprised.
There is a "maffia-like" arrangement between insurance companies and repair shops; shops get business but won't touch cars whose owners did not accept the insurance "recommendations"; I experienced the "I do not fix your car" firsthand...
So I took the "second offer" I got (about $1200, first offer was about $800) and got the car straightened out.
A salvage situation would have given me more money but given the uncertainty of "inspection" I decided against it. At least the company guy ended up being nice and gave me the money options. It turned out he owned a 4G Civic with almost 300K on the clock

Unfortunately, because our cars are old they are one collision away from the junkyard; we got unlucky one day (or an idiot on our way) and we're done.

BAck to the thread, the grey coupe looks great; I'd go for itI'll fix mine before i junk it, I'm still planning on locating an 86 hatch shell eventually to put up.

w261w261
09-25-2009, 01:16 PM
<< Unfortunately, because our cars are old they are one collision away from the junkyard; we got unlucky one day (or an idiot on our way) and we're done >>

This is a continuing worry for me. I even called my insurance co today (Geico) and asked them if I could get stated value insurance. They don't offer it. Then I said, "well, I have 3 thousand worth of modifications." They said, "unfortunately......." Even IF I could find a nice SE-i 5 spd, I know the leather would need fixing, and then there's all the suspension work (Eibach/revalved Bilsteins, all new bushings) and everything to get the new car to where mine is now. I know I'd be looking at at least $6k, and probably more. So I drive it like I drive my bike....I assume everybody is trying to hit me.

lostforawhile
09-25-2009, 01:49 PM
there are companies that will cover these cars for agreed value, look over at thisoldhonda.org there should be a link on the site. the catch is you can't drive them everyday to work, and you have to keep them in a garage. if it's your project car should be no big deal. the big companies aren't interested in fixing these,they only want newer cars.

SILENT
09-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Rent a U-Haul dolly and borrow a truck and tow it down. Neg down to $500 and send me your old SEi wheels :D

Seriously, how much for them, and in what condition are the tires? I can do the greyhound shipping just fine.

the rims are in very good shape and the tires a excellent i have to new traction t/a in the front and two touring t/a in the rear all bfgoodrich!!! if the offer is right i will sell them!!! fronts have about 12 32nds and rears about 8 32nds!!! If this guy doesnt reply i might just be fixing my sei i love the color so i might do that!!! i liked the other sei bkuz of the sunroof and black interior!!! all is in the air right now @ least i have my lx sedan with a weber for a lil bit off fun!!! :D

Vanilla Sky
09-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Let me see if I have any other wheels come up in the next week or so and you decide the direction you're going, and we'll see where everything stands on the wheels.

w261w261
09-25-2009, 08:30 PM
there are companies that will cover these cars for agreed value, look over at thisoldhonda.org there should be a link on the site. the catch is you can't drive them everyday to work, and you have to keep them in a garage. if it's your project car should be no big deal. the big companies aren't interested in fixing these,they only want newer cars.

Mines a DD, so I'm over the mileage requirement. It's not such a big deal, but the idea that someone else can hit me and I lose out is .... unpleasant.

ecogabriel
09-25-2009, 08:34 PM
<< Unfortunately, because our cars are old they are one collision away from the junkyard; we got unlucky one day (or an idiot on our way) and we're done >>

This is a continuing worry for me. I even called my insurance co today (Geico) and asked them if I could get stated value insurance. They don't offer it. Then I said, "well, I have 3 thousand worth of modifications." They said, "unfortunately......." Even IF I could find a nice SE-i 5 spd, I know the leather would need fixing, and then there's all the suspension work (Eibach/revalved Bilsteins, all new bushings) and everything to get the new car to where mine is now. I know I'd be looking at at least $6k, and probably more. So I drive it like I drive my bike....I assume everybody is trying to hit me.

Insuring them as "collectibles" -that is what lostforawhile suggested- would cover that with the downside that you may be limited on the miles per year to drive it. If you can live with that -and getting another 3g to double as daily driver- it may be a solution

2ndGenGuy
09-25-2009, 11:02 PM
My friend has his 1995 Civic insured for $10,000. It's got lots of work into it, and it's probably the value of the car, plus the parts, plus the time that's all been put into it. It doesn't have to be classic to get stated value on it.

Also, fuck Geico.

guaynabo89
09-27-2009, 11:46 PM
should have listened to nswst8. He had everything on point.

I know Im a little late on this but here is my story from this year.

Was driving my 91 Accord EX and was hit by a .........05 Corrolla.

Insurance was going to toal it out and give me only 1100 for it. i was like yeah right. Told em that wasnt what these cars were going for and faxed em a couple of example etc. Well they still wanted to lowball and told em they were going to have to deal with an attorney and I would see em in court. After that they called me back a couple of times and I told em the same story.

I didnt budge and in the end they gave me 1960 or so for it (that was a fair price) plus 400 some for car rental. (bout 2400 in the end)

Insurance companies will always lowball you no matter what. Take this as a lesson learned. Like nswst8 said, insurance companies can wait. You on the other hand probably cant. Insurance companies take advantage of this for the most part.

As far as insurance goes here is the thing. Your policy needs to reflect what you think your car is worth.

If you think your car is worth 5,000 dollars than you need to pay a premium to reflect that. Pay about 100 bucks for an appraisal to show all your mods and condition and then have your insurance cover it for the 5 grand you want. You will pay slightly more as far as premium but in the end if it would be a total loss you would be covered for the amount it is worth.

I too need to do this as my policy will only cover things I have receipts for. (I have receipts dating all the way back to about 1994 that total up in the 8 grand area)

I have already had to deal with this with my hatch. When hurricanes hit a couple years ago, a couple of dings totaled up to about 1800 in repair. That is of course about the bb value back then for a hatch. Technacly a total loss. Pulled out some receipts the dude wrote down some things about things done to my car and in the end insurance cut me a check for about 3200 to get my repairs done.

Protect yourselves guys!

SILENT
09-28-2009, 07:23 AM
yeah i hear you guaynabo89 but really i have a lot of shit on my plate and i wasn't going to put up a fight!!! for it the appraisal they gave me was dead on to me!!! I've invested a lot of money in this car to make it run no to look nice and thats what took the value from 1500 to 850!!! but i think i'm going to end up parting out the sei and upgrade my lx!!! and hopefully buy a Jeep XJ if i can get financed!!! I hating giving up on it but I've invested about 4k in the lx so i'm just gonna keep that one!!!

hammer3rd
10-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Have you sold the car.