PDA

View Full Version : Transmission and CV axle questions

BoogerBurns
09-22-2009, 12:16 PM
I need to know what to drain to replace my CV axles, is it just transmission fluid or is there a seperate trans-axle fluid. Also, does anyone have a picture tutorial on how to change CV axles? I have googled it and they suck bad. Just wondering! Thanks!

mykwikcoupe
09-22-2009, 01:29 PM
try the search button. On the site someplace there is a factory manual online that will take you through it. i think its under research and development. Basically on the passenger side of the car. Look just to the side/below the cv boot and you will see a spot to recieve the 3/8 drive square ratchet. Remove that. Its your drain plug. I try to jack up the drivers side one click further so the fluid drains down to the passenger side. Its a pretty easy job if your afluent with mechanics and have the proper tools. Never use a pickle fork on these cars. Search the how to section on a better way to remove the tie rods and ball jionts. Most people apply pressure away from the mating surface and smack the part adjacent to the ball end. They say it pops right out. I myself have a 2 jaw front end kit so it doesnt put undo pressure on the rubber boot like the pickle fork does. Good luck and let us know if we can help. The best tool you can have is a huge impact gun or a long 3/4in breaker bar with a 32mm socket. The front wheel hub is held on by the cv and is torques to 168 ft lbs. If you get that loosened your most of the way done. If its factory all I can say is good luck. Hopefully someone before you has removed it already.

mykwikcoupe
09-22-2009, 01:36 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30792 found it. hope it helps you out.

BoogerBurns
09-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I have the shop manual and the chiltons for my 87, but its just a list of instructions, no pictures, or very vague. And I did download it and its the same thing pretty much.
But that didnt answer my question of if its just transmission fluid or if theres a seperate chamber for trans-axle fluid or something. Your post makes it sound like theres just transmission fluid. And btw its a 5 speed.

Vanilla Sky
09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
There is no transmission. It's in your mind. Seriously.

There's only a transaxle. Transmission and diff in one housing is a transaxle.

BoogerBurns
09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification, im having a hard time switching from a 1991 F150 v8, to this 87 hatch, I had a 1993 accord, but that was before I knew how to work on vehicles. :/. but now i do! :)

Vanilla Sky
09-22-2009, 03:23 PM
If you lived closer, I'd give you a hand. If you can get the axle nut off, it's a 30 minute job if you're experienced. Took me about 2 hours my first time. Per side, of course.

AZmike
09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Make sure you can open the fill plug before you drain the oil. It's just behind the passenger side axle and a little over an inch in diameter.

mykwikcoupe
09-22-2009, 09:52 PM
fill plug is 17mm I believ. its been over a year since I had to loosen one. Maybe its a 19mm but Im sure its a 17mm. These haondas are very basic in form of tool needs. Nothing like a domestic needing a local snap on guy and a huge toolbox full of tools you will never use again. Trust me I have 3 toolboxes full of tools i will hardly use again. Stupid fords and chevies

Bass Man
09-22-2009, 10:04 PM
It's a 17mm.

I got a 10" x 10" x 24" toolbox with a tray that has enough tools to take apart most import cars. I don't usually need more than that with my Suzuki's.

LewZur
09-23-2009, 02:22 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30792 found it. hope it helps you out.

I had a problem with that manual when I was doing my fi swap. It's incomplete in the pdf form but there are individual jpegs of all the pages. I just wanted to throw that out there because it took me a bit to understand and find that. If you know anyone with Mitchell access that would be awesome.

Dr_Snooz
09-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I had a problem with that manual when I was doing my fi swap. It's incomplete in the pdf form but there are individual jpegs of all the pages. I just wanted to throw that out there because it took me a bit to understand and find that. If you know anyone with Mitchell access that would be awesome.

Why not just use this one? http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php

And use a looooong handled ratchet when loosening that drain bolt. My thumb still bears the scar from bashing it on the underside of the car from more than 10 years ago. Oh god did it hurt. I swore and danced around for probably 5 minutes while the pain cleared from my head.