PDA

View Full Version : CV problem.

Bass Man
09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I thought I read somewhere that if a mount (don't remember if it was a tranny or motor mounts) get's old and breaks, your CV axle may pop out.....

Twice.....

Was on the freeway just crusing, then my axle popped and my speedo went to 100+ and I was trying to get over the hill so I can coast down. Got towed back and spent about an hour pulling the drivers side CV out and taking the old retainer-clip off and putting one on from a bad CV I had lying around. The next morning on the way to work, it did it again and made my late!

I towed it home and parked it and haven't even messed with it yet cuz I'm pretty disgusted with it and I'm taking my Sidekick to the dunes this weekend, so I am BUSY.

Could this be a mount issue? Suspension seems to be pretty tight. Only thing I can remember doing before the first time it popped out was, I took a pry-bar and put it on the alternator bracket and the strut-tower and tried to bend my alternator towards the motor, which didn't work, but this is all driver-side stuff.

greentee76
09-23-2009, 02:43 PM
What I had to do in the past was to clean the groove that the clip goes in with a file. What happens is that the splines get pushed down into that groove and wont let the clip expand all the way when you install the axle.

Bass Man
09-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Hmmmm. That sounds like something I need to check!

AccordEpicenter
09-30-2009, 06:11 AM
i would reccomend checking motor mounts, starting with the bottom trans mount on the crossmember, then check the timing belt side motor mount, and rear tranny mount. somtimes if they are very loose they can cause axles to pop out

Bass Man
09-30-2009, 06:45 AM
I know the T-belt mount is not doing anything; it moved when I pryed on the alt... I got all the spares, but I g2g to work!

AccordEpicenter
09-30-2009, 04:34 PM
timing belt mount is by far the easiest to change, besides the dogbone.

Rendon LX-i
09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Ummm...sounds like your not poping the alxe in correcting bro. TIP. put a BLOB of grease to hold the clip in place...then slowy put it in and push really hard...should do it...took me most is 2 times....

Bass Man
09-30-2009, 09:10 PM
There's a special way to put them in? I just line it up and use the spindle to beat it in with the slip of the axle. I'm pretty sure the clip was in there, but the end spline was ground pretty good, so it might be that. I might just buy another axle for $35 and put it in there.

I've been driving the Sidekick and working on someone elses Samurai, so I still haven't got around to checking my mounts.

Rendon LX-i
09-30-2009, 10:04 PM
you should feel it pop and go in another step...you can assume. you have to feel it..hitting it with the hammer can damage the clip and there for not go in proper.

headbanger
10-01-2009, 04:23 PM
yepee should click in with just pushing it with hands not blunt force tramua is needed.lol:)

Bass Man
10-21-2009, 09:38 PM
It did it again to me last week and I just about ran it over with my Samurai... :burn:

I then had a thought... I used the Auto axles out of my donor rig, then I got a manual axle from the junkyard, but the outter-joint was about shot, so I just replaced the inner-joint, but when I had them both out, I noticed the Manual (Man was 88 and the Auto was 86, does this mean anything?) was a little bit longer.

Does this look like my popping axle problem?

LX-incredible
10-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Using a shorter axle will do it. So will bad motor mounts.

After you install the axle try to pry it out, it shouldn't be easy. Usually the tripod dingus will come out of the inner joint before the axle unclips from the transmission...

Bass Man
10-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I used a pry-bar to try to pull the axle out and it didn't, then the next day it popped out... I'll get the right axle this week.

Bass Man
10-30-2009, 06:52 PM
I figured out what the issue was. The axle I got from Napa, an 87 Manual axle, was SHORTER than the one I got from the Auto, so I thought, what the hell?! Then I put the axles on end and saw that the manual was acually longer.

What I found was, the inner INPUT shaft is 3/8" to 1/2" longer than the Auto, which is DEFINITELY the problem. It feels really good, now.

I'll get a picture for reference.

Rendon LX-i
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
LOL i had a feeling