PDA

View Full Version : On a diet 1988 lxi

19LXI88
09-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Just a few questions...would it be hard to remove air conditioner, power steering pump, and all other unnecesary components?

labeledsk8r
09-23-2009, 05:16 PM
depends.... is it? its only hard for someone that doesnt know what there doing... sooo if your mechanicly inclined then it should be no problem

Pico
09-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Like sk8r said, if you have some mechanic skills it will be a piece of cake. It's only 4.or 3 bolts on the ac compressor and 2 on the ps pump. You'll need to loop the lines on your rack to keep some fluid in it.

2drSE-i
09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Like sk8r said, if you have some mechanic skills it will be a piece of cake. It's only 4.or 3 bolts on the ac compressor and 2 on the ps pump. You'll need to loop the lines on your rack to keep some fluid in it.

Word, really easy to get everything off. 2 bolts hold the PS pump on, 4 for the bracket, 4(or two, depending on which compressor you have) bolts hold on the A/C compressor, and 6 hold on the bracket. Honestly, the a/c bracket weighs more than the damn P/S pump. Full of p/s fluid. Ridiculously heavy

Civic Accord Honda
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
hardest part about pulling the ac is the thing behind the dash and even thats not that hard you just remove the glove box.. a couple 10 mm bolts and out it comes ^_^

mykwikcoupe
09-23-2009, 06:18 PM
the condensor is the hardest part. that little bitch fount me like tyson. i did kind of act like mcneeley though.

I was surpised how incredibly light everything was. All the hoses and piping conbined proabaly doesnt weigh 5 lbs. The ac condensor under the dash weighs less than 5 lbs full of leaves and debris from 20 years of use. the condensor in front of the radiator weighs a bit for its size and Id guess about 20 lbs. the compressor, mounts and associated parts weighs at least 50-70 lbs. All together your talking 100 lbs. this equats at best to minimal performance. if it doesnt work and your not going to fix it, by all means rip it out. the ps pump, cooler and other associated parts doesnt weigh 30lbs. to me thats a system worth keeping vs dealing without for the performance gains. From an economical perspective Im sure with the weigh, perisidical loses and other contributing factors youll gain an easy 3-4mpg.

Unknown
09-30-2009, 07:43 PM
the condensor is the hardest part. that little bitch fount me like tyson. i did kind of act like mcneeley though.

I was surpised how incredibly light everything was. All the hoses and piping conbined proabaly doesnt weigh 5 lbs. The ac condensor under the dash weighs less than 5 lbs full of leaves and debris from 20 years of use. the condensor in front of the radiator weighs a bit for its size and Id guess about 20 lbs. the compressor, mounts and associated parts weighs at least 50-70 lbs. All together your talking 100 lbs. this equats at best to minimal performance. if it doesnt work and your not going to fix it, by all means rip it out. the ps pump, cooler and other associated parts doesnt weigh 30lbs. to me thats a system worth keeping vs dealing without for the performance gains. From an economical perspective Im sure with the weigh, perisidical loses and other contributing factors youll gain an easy 3-4mpg.

I concur. Another avenue to examine is driveability, especially if you're going to be daily driving it. Idk what the climates like there, but around here its quite unbearable to live without ac in your car. Sometimes the cost isn't worth the reward.

Hondamonster
09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
the a/c lines can be a pain to remove if they're seized together. i cut all mine out. didn't work and i didn't intend to fix it at all. plus i like the shaved look in the bay so i pulled the lines. otherwise just remove the pumps and brackets because like stated above, the lines are very light and not worth the trouble of removing just for wieght savings. you could take a dump before driving and lose about the same amount of wieght overall.