PDA

View Full Version : AUTOMATIC TRANS not shifting as smooth

09-23-2009, 05:18 PM
The auto trans on my 88 LXI doesn't seem to be shifting as smoothly as it once did. It isn't horrible but it inst as good as it was. The transition between the gears isn't as fluid and there is a bit of a bucking. Also when I take the car out of park and move it down to drive there is a bit of hesitation when i initially take it out of park. Does the trans cable need adjustment? Is it something else?

gp02a0083
09-23-2009, 05:29 PM
check the fluid?

Dr_Snooz
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
x2

AccordB20A
09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
probably needs a good flush, and i would do it fast before it fucks out all together

ecogabriel
09-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Every time you flush you replace roughly half of the fluid in the transmission; the other half is in the torque converter. You may need to make it a couple of times to get out most of the old fluid.

Do you know how many miles the transmission has? (just a curiosity)

2oodoor
09-24-2009, 03:55 AM
flushing changes almost all the fluid if a flush machine is used! Just changing the fluid only gets only portion out.
Change the fluid on these every 10K in my opinion.

**I would always check that TV cable anytime you have issues with tranny. It can get hung, binded or out of adjustement as the tune on the car fades (causing you to open the throttle more to obtain the same rpm or power)

Vanilla Sky
09-24-2009, 05:16 AM
This sounds like a fluid issue. What version of AFT are you running? Dexron III or ATF-Z? If you're running Dex from the parts store, pony up and get some ATF-Z from the dealership. It's worth it. Get enough to do 2 fills. Drain and fill, drive around for a few thousand miles, then drain and fill again. You should have 75% new fluid at this point, and the issue should be resolved.

You could also try a bucket flush, which gets nearly 100% of the old fluid out. I've never done it, but I'm willing to give it a shot. You pull the hoses from the cooler, put the hose pumping to the cooler in a bucket to catch the old fluid, and attach a funnel to the hose returning fluid from the cooler. Top off the funnel with fluid and have a buddy crank the car. Keep all fluid on hand and ready to go so while your funnel is draining, you can keep it topped up. Stop when the fluid coming out is cherry red and smells clean. I just can't remember if you block the wheels and idle in drive or if you do this in neutral.

ecogabriel
09-24-2009, 07:01 AM
This sounds like a fluid issue. What version of AFT are you running? Dexron III or ATF-Z? If you're running Dex from the parts store, pony up and get some ATF-Z from the dealership. It's worth it. Get enough to do 2 fills. Drain and fill, drive around for a few thousand miles, then drain and fill again. You should have 75% new fluid at this point, and the issue should be resolved.

You could also try a bucket flush, which gets nearly 100% of the old fluid out. I've never done it, but I'm willing to give it a shot. You pull the hoses from the cooler, put the hose pumping to the cooler in a bucket to catch the old fluid, and attach a funnel to the hose returning fluid from the cooler. Top off the funnel with fluid and have a buddy crank the car. Keep all fluid on hand and ready to go so while your funnel is draining, you can keep it topped up. Stop when the fluid coming out is cherry red and smells clean. I just can't remember if you block the wheels and idle in drive or if you do this in neutral.

I did the bucket flush with my wife's car (toyota). I cannot remember whether it was in drive w/wheels blocked or in neutral :( . You need another person that starts the car and stops it if needed while the other fills out with fluid and checks the fluid coming out.
I could see when the fluid started coming clean (pinkish/reddish). Make sure you somehow hold the hose in the bucket from moving or you'll have old fluid all over the place.... don't ask me how I know!!!

I used DEXRON III in the Accord (full fill, transmission was removed from car complete w/torque converter) which was the recommended fluid back then (Dexron/Dexron II) but later added an additive that supposedly makes the fluid perform like a high-friction fluid (what the Honda ATF fluid is).
I could tell that the transmission shifted more smoothly than before; mine shifted OK with the regular fluid but I could feel the difference.

Also, I saw a Mobil 1 ATF the other day. It is a full-synthetic fluid and suitable for Honda (the label says that). At $3 per quart (Walmart) it does seem a good deal; does anybody have experience with it?

09-24-2009, 01:55 PM
I changed the AT fluid about 8,000 miles ago. Before that it had been done once or twice. The car has about 90k on it. When I replaced the AT fluid I used Mobil ATF DF Dexron III. I always heard to stay with the Honda AFT but I have a case of this sitting around. Should drain the trans again? If so should I stop using Mobil?

gp02a0083
09-24-2009, 07:32 PM
rule of 3 applies here , each time you replace the fluid you only get roughly 33% of the older out

Dr_Snooz
09-24-2009, 08:11 PM

The bucket flush is genius! I thought of doing something like this with my damned infernal German transmission that I know needs a flush but no shop will touch. I was just going to fire up the engine and let 'er rip. Then I ran the numbers: 13 liters of fluid at 500 psi. I figured one hose would blow fluid all over the neighborhood and the other side would suck my bucket dry in about 1/10 of one second. Obviously, I never tried it but I might try it with the coils unplugged and someone cranking the starter. Will that work though? If it does, I'd be stoked! Thanks!

ecogabriel
09-25-2009, 05:53 AM
The bucket flush is genius! I thought of doing something like this with my damned infernal German transmission that I know needs a flush but no shop will touch. I was just going to fire up the engine and let 'er rip. Then I ran the numbers: 13 liters of fluid at 500 psi. I figured one hose would blow fluid all over the neighborhood and the other side would suck my bucket dry in about 1/10 of one second. Obviously, I never tried it but I might try it with the coils unplugged and someone cranking the starter. Will that work though? If it does, I'd be stoked! Thanks!

When I did it the hose would jump out of the bucket if not tied to something heavy but I doubt that it had 500PSI or anything closer; such a pressure would blow up the radiator if the transmission cooler breaks. But if it is too close to the bottom of the bucket... well, it would act like a jet engine pushing itself out. you need to leave some room to be able to see the fluid color coming out or add a section of clear hose (I did this)

I can tell that the fluid drains much faster than I could replace it through a funnel; and the toyota did not suck fluid on the other hose so there I went rushing fluid through the funnel.

I had my son in the car to kill the engine every time the fluid coming out started to diminish. Refill (2-3 quarts) and start over. After 7-8 quarts the fluid came clean.

Dr_Snooz
09-25-2009, 06:52 PM
When I did it the hose would jump out of the bucket if not tied to something heavy but I doubt that it had 500PSI or anything closer; such a pressure would blow up the radiator if the transmission cooler breaks. But if it is too close to the bottom of the bucket... well, it would act like a jet engine pushing itself out. you need to leave some room to be able to see the fluid color coming out or add a section of clear hose (I did this)

I can tell that the fluid drains much faster than I could replace it through a funnel; and the toyota did not suck fluid on the other hose so there I went rushing fluid through the funnel.

I had my son in the car to kill the engine every time the fluid coming out started to diminish. Refill (2-3 quarts) and start over. After 7-8 quarts the fluid came clean.

Yeah, those are pretty much all the reasons I didn't try it. I may still try the starter trick, but by the time it pumps out 13 liters it will probably kill the battery. Whatever. The stupid thing is such an irritation I'll probably just rebuild it and be done.

ecogabriel
09-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, those are pretty much all the reasons I didn't try it. I may still try the starter trick, but by the time it pumps out 13 liters it will probably kill the battery. Whatever. The stupid thing is such an irritation I'll probably just rebuild it and be done.

13 liters!!!???? What German vehicle is that? a Panther tank? OMFG!!!

Seriously, you may manage it by starting the engine, letting it run 10-15 seconds and then stop it. flushing will be cheaper than rebuilding...

it can be done; just get a big umbrella in case something goes wrong... it'll rain pink!!!

Dr_Snooz
09-26-2009, 09:22 PM
13 liters!!!???? What German vehicle is that? a Panther tank? OMFG!!!

Seriously, you may manage it by starting the engine, letting it run 10-15 seconds and then stop it. flushing will be cheaper than rebuilding...

it can be done; just get a big umbrella in case something goes wrong... it'll rain pink!!!

Oh yes, 13 liters at $25/liter. It's a BMW 5 series and actually the tranny is massively overbuilt for the car. It probably could go into a Sherman tank with no problems. This is usually the point where I'd start in on what trash German cars are but I'll just keep my trap shut this time. God bless those Germans.

ecogabriel
09-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh yes, 13 liters at $25/liter. It's a BMW 5 series and actually the tranny is massively overbuilt for the car...

Overbuilt, and over-demanding... $25/liter for the transmisison fluid??? :jaw:
That must come from the space shuttle... OK OK so you do not want to start talking about the car... period.

AccordEpicenter
09-30-2009, 06:00 AM
guys our auto trannies hold somthing around 10-12 qts of atf, and the best way to change it, in my experience, has been draining it and filling it, drive around (youll get maybe 2.5 qts per drain/fill). Do this 2 or 3 times... but only use ATF Z1. Dex III is compatable but only ATFZ1 is friction modified, and tends to shift much much nicer than dex III in any honda product. I would check the tranny oil before you dump it, if it smells burnt etc then i wouldnt waste time with it, the tranny is headed out fast

2oodoor
09-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Correction: around 2.8 qts atf at fluid change only, total capacity is aroun 5.8 qts atf:cheers:

headbanger
10-02-2009, 12:36 PM
I just use regular mercon 3 fluid from autoparts an add a bottle of trans-x.Mine shifts just as smooth as any other automatic car I have ever rode in.I might give that other fluid a try though when I change it again mine leaks so I dont change it much just add a little when it gets low (redneck flushing) lol Ive been looking for a rebuild kit so I can take my tranny apart an rebuild it.