PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick rear disc help.

mushroom_toy
09-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Alright so I knew the rear calipers were pretty trashed when I put them on...but in about 6000 or more miles they havent gave me any problems. Now I need new calipers or pins because I cant get the pins out of mine to lube em up, and the calipers are starting to drag while going down the road. Btw when I put them on up until now only the rear of the discs have been wearing. So what i need is either cheap rebuild kits, calipers, or pins, that I can get withing a 2 day period. No one stocks sei rear calipers here and fastest I can get them is Thurs. (<-too late).

Are there any other calipers that will bolt up that would work, or anyone know if the pins are the same between any car and the sei?

w261w261
09-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Every time I have my car in the shop for any reason I tell them to lube up the rear calipers. I didn't originally know to do that and I had to buy two of them on short notice, and really got hit on the price. I don't know why they tend to mess themselves up like that.

mushroom_toy
09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Im gonna try to pull the pins, tonight or tomorrow if I can get them out, just wondering does anyone have a part number for pins, or rebuild kits or anything? No one has anything luisted at our parts stores.

Dr_Snooz
09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I got my rebuild kits from Rock Auto. They aren't so much a rebuild kit as a reseal kit and I'm not sure you'll be able to find much more than that. The guide pins appear to be available from Majestic (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+SEI&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=REAR+BRAKE+CALIPER), but a call to verify inventory is definitely in order. I'd say use lots of PB Blaster to free up the old pins and polish them up as best you can. The rebuild is a pain. There's what appears to be a snap ring with teeny little holes at the bottom of a long narrow hole that holds in half the caliper's guts. I haven't yet found a way to get it out of there but maybe someone else here has and can enlighten me so I can proceed.

MessyHonda
09-26-2009, 10:11 AM
go 1st gen legend calipers if u want to upgrade

mushroom_toy
09-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Do the bolt up? ALSO can I use the sei discs with the calipers? I might be able to get legend calipers easier and cheaper than seis.

mushroom_toy
09-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I like my car. but i will probably not have another old accord. Even dealing with rust bucket bikes is becoming easier than working on this.

Civic Accord Honda
09-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I like my car. but i will probably not have another old accord. Even dealing with rust bucket bikes is becoming easier than working on this.

but thats the fun and joy of owning a honda!

stat1K
09-27-2009, 01:59 PM
no that's the fun and joy of owning a neglected honda that came from somewhere that snowed or rained a lot... i've never had a honda that had more than surface rust, my 3g had no rust whatsoever when i got it, my crx had no rust at all, my civic now only had surface rust but that's because of the bumper rubbing the paint and it came from northern arizona which does snow and rain.

also it's hard to find a car that people actually did ALL of the scheduled maintenance on, like ball joints, brakes, wheel bearings, bushings, etc... once you replace all that and take care of it you'll be good for another 20 years...

MessyHonda
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Do the bolt up? ALSO can I use the sei discs with the calipers? I might be able to get legend calipers easier and cheaper than seis.

you need to mod them to fit...but i bought mine for like 50 bucks a side

mushroom_toy
09-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Well hopefully my main store will have the legend calipers tomorrow. If not Im screwed because My calipers are completely seized, spent all day getting the pins loose and lubed, and come to find out calipers seized up too. So growing total is Rotors - $40, new pads - $20.....tomorrow who knows. This pisses me off.

AccordB20A
09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
sounds like you guys have calipers that like to seize too when i did my rear disc swap i had to swap mine also which was pretty gay. its weird cause you can lube them and clean them yet they still dont work.

Dr_Snooz
09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Well hopefully my main store will have the legend calipers tomorrow. If not Im screwed because My calipers are completely seized, spent all day getting the pins loose and lubed, and come to find out calipers seized up too. So growing total is Rotors - $40, new pads - $20.....tomorrow who knows. This pisses me off.

Mine were seized too. I doused the pistons good with PB Blaster and waited about 10 minutes before whacking them with a dead blow hammer. They came apart like a dream and showed no evidence of scoring or wear. Give that a shot before you give up.

mushroom_toy
09-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Well im now running legend caliper and they are working great, my ebrake even works fine. Only problem is my pedal is halfway before it grabs. I need to bleed the brakes again. Cant miss work again though so that will have to wait till this weekend.

MessyHonda
09-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Well im now running legend caliper and they are working great, my ebrake even works fine. Only problem is my pedal is halfway before it grabs. I need to bleed the brakes again. Cant miss work again though so that will have to wait till this weekend.

did you have to modify them too?

mushroom_toy
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
^I modded them exactly how Legend did, although looking at the feet of the caliper on the car, I believe that cutting is not necessary since mine look pretty short cut, ill post a pic up when I get home. Brackets do have to be ground down though to make room for piston movement.

MessyHonda
09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
^I modded them exactly how Legend did, although looking at the feet of the caliper on the car, I believe that cutting is not necessary since mine look pretty short cut, ill post a pic up when I get home. Brackets do have to be ground down though to make room for piston movement.

good job man...im happy for you...i cant wait to have my car back so i can do it