PDA

View Full Version : Help needed setting Timing and belt install on build

parkersnine
09-26-2009, 06:57 AM
O.K. We have a Haynes but since engine was completely disassembled need some pointers on the correct method. We put number one @ TDC but at this point dunno if on compression stroke. Dot on bottom of crank timing belt sprocket is @ 6:30 position The head was completely torn down and rebuild @ local machine shop and assembled on block .The distributor is out. Have not moved the Cam sprocket to see were the line is on right face back of camshaft sprocket . Hate to be ignorant but it seems that there are plenty of you that have been here before and this is my first build Thanks!

ecogabriel
09-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Cylinder 1 at TDC on compression stroke means both intake and exhaust valves CLOSED.
Take a look at the head and you'll see the position of the other valves when they are open.

Dr_Snooz
09-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Don't worry about compression stroke vs. intake or exhaust strokes on the bottom half. Just set the #1 cylinder to TDC and the head to TDC and you'll be fine. Make sure to check them again after installing the timing belt because they can move while you're yanking on the belt.

parkersnine
09-27-2009, 05:11 AM
The valves on number one were closed when head was installed.(Almost 100% sure) Have not checked any other reference point. How can I double check to make sure that the head number 1 is on compression stroke?

Dr_Snooz
09-27-2009, 07:27 AM
There are two little lines on the cam gear and the word "Up". The lines should line up with the top of the head while the "Up" points up. Honda's done it this way since at least 1976. The Haynes manual should tell you this. If it doesn't, use the factory manual available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) instead. Good luck with the build, I finally got my engine back in the bay yesterday. Didn't get anything hooked up, but's no longer on the shop floor.

parkersnine
09-30-2009, 04:12 PM
So..I have Cam sprocket with UP in proper location with the two horizontal lines at the right and left sides of sprocket . The number one piston is at TDC. The distributor is in..Only seems to go in one way.. Am I ok to install Timing Belt or is something I am missing?

Dr_Snooz
09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Git 'er done!

ecogabriel
09-30-2009, 06:16 PM
There are two little lines on the cam gear and the word "Up". The lines should line up with the top of the head while the "Up" points up. Honda's done it this way since at least 1976. The Haynes manual should tell you this. If it doesn't, use the factory manual available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) instead. Good luck with the build, I finally got my engine back in the bay yesterday. Didn't get anything hooked up, but's no longer on the shop floor.

I remember reading your problems with the engine -oil pressure. So you rebuilt that engine or got another one to rebuilt?

parkersnine
10-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Decided to pull the engine out and rebuild it . The rings were shot and the bearings were too. The engine actually a 1.8 . I guess it was previously replaced. The engine was out July 4th. The machine shop was very reasonable . The block was bored .40 over. The block was decked and the crank polished. The head was shaved and the machine shop did a complete valve job.Going to purchase new oil pump this weekend and timing belt tensioner. Hope to get that together soon. This site has been great. Thanks!

Dr_Snooz
10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I remember reading your problems with the engine -oil pressure. So you rebuilt that engine or got another one to rebuilt?

I rebuilt the bottom end. It turned out to be pretty jimmy rigged. When I bought it, it was billed as a used Japanese engine, but was a half-assed rebuild bucket of junk that wouldn't hold oil pressure. There are pics and detail in the "My Hoopty (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66022&page=4&highlight=hoopty)" thread. I haven't gotten it all back together yet, so we'll see if I got it. If I didn't, I'll be very sad...

parkersnine
10-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I was concerned about picking up a "running" used engine and spending a lot of time in the swap. Since I am pretty slow at turning wrenches getting the old one out and tearing it down took some time. At this point the long block is reassembled and awaiting a new oil pump and timing belt and tensioner. I am tagging and labeling and taking pics of the carb from intake removal. Hope to get a carb from the importcarbs.com recommended here. Good luck on your hoopty. Will check out your pics..

MessyHonda
10-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I was concerned about picking up a "running" used engine and spending a lot of time in the swap. Since I am pretty slow at turning wrenches getting the old one out and tearing it down took some time. At this point the long block is reassembled and awaiting a new oil pump and timing belt and tensioner. I am tagging and labeling and taking pics of the carb from intake removal. Hope to get a carb from the importcarbs.com recommended here. Good luck on your hoopty. Will check out your pics..

yeah happen to me...bought a used engine...pulled the oil pan after 9 months of siting down and found shavings...now im just going to rebuild the whole thing

ecogabriel
10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I rebuilt the bottom end. It turned out to be pretty jimmy rigged. When I bought it, it was billed as a used Japanese engine, but was a half-assed rebuild bucket of junk that wouldn't hold oil pressure. There are pics and detail in the "My Hoopty (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66022&page=4&highlight=hoopty)" thread. I haven't gotten it all back together yet, so we'll see if I got it. If I didn't, I'll be very sad...

I've read your thread... what they did with the pistons was... no words for it. And I called myself doing a "cheap rebuilt" on my Civic... whoever did yours was a criminal :chainsaw: What you mentioned about silicone all the way up to the engine's ass does not surprise me; brain-deprived mechanics do that and cannot f... think on a piece of loose silicone clogging an oil passage...
looks nice now; and nice place to work... well, you are not a "shadetree mechanic" this way :D
Did the previous engine burn oil? because you may probably want to take a look at the cat since it may be visible now. I have to post pictures of the pieces of melted core I have around... they look very nice. I hope my wife won't throw them away before i can take the pictures though!!! :(

Dr_Snooz
10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I've read your thread... what they did with the pistons was... no words for it. And I called myself doing a "cheap rebuilt" on my Civic... whoever did yours was a criminal :chainsaw: What you mentioned about silicone all the way up to the engine's ass does not surprise me; brain-deprived mechanics do that and cannot f... think on a piece of loose silicone clogging an oil passage...
looks nice now; and nice place to work... well, you are not a "shadetree mechanic" this way :D
Did the previous engine burn oil? because you may probably want to take a look at the cat since it may be visible now. I have to post pictures of the pieces of melted core I have around... they look very nice. I hope my wife won't throw them away before i can take the pictures though!!! :(

It didn't burn oil oddly enough. Just made a lot of racket on startup. I didn't drive it long that way. I figured I needed to save it before it beat itself to pieces so I pulled it before anything major happened. The cat is new too. Of course, it fell to the floor as I was removing the downpipe. The shop that put the cat on decided I didn't really need the center support for the exhaust system, so they discarded it. You can see the cat lying on the floor in the pics in my thread. That's my luck with shops. I have countless stories like this. Wish I didn't.

Anyway, I think I've whored up this thread enough.