PDA

View Full Version : High Idle with no way to adjust it?

mushroom_toy
10-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Alright well guys Since I swapped to 5spd, and i dont have the iacv or any of that other idle stuff hooked up, how can i set my idle? Right now it idles at around 12-1500 in neutral while stopped. I would set it with the throttle body screw, but it was sealed a long time ago, because it kept popping out. Anyone have any suggestions? I was setting it with safc as well, but then that just leans me out too much to get good cold idle.

Dr_Snooz
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Replace the EACV (IACV). You need the adjustment screw. It's cheap from the wrecking yard.

1987AccordLx-i
10-01-2009, 10:18 PM
check for vac leaks?

2oodoor
10-02-2009, 03:47 AM
you know the answer why do you ask?

If you are letting air in past the throttle butterfly inside the tb you will have that high idle. Either file down the stop or dig out the adjuster screw.. maybe need to get another tb.

Legend_master
10-02-2009, 05:13 AM
So you dont have an IAC valve, or any other idle stuff. The idle screw is gone as well. I dont really think this is a logical question, you should put all the idle stuff onto the car. Then your idle should be fine.

Dr_Snooz
10-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Replace the EACV (IACV). You need the adjustment screw. It's cheap from the wrecking yard.

I read the initial post too fast. Sorry. I agree with Roo, you got to get that handled. Hook everything up and fix it right. You can't half-ass your way to a good repair. When you cheese out, the car won't yell at you. It won't flash a light on your dash or sound a siren. It will just sit quietly and wait until you have everything back together and then make a small explosion. Then you'll get to pull your cheesed out repair apart again, in addition to what got newly broken in the explosion and fix it right anyway. Just fix it right the first time.

mushroom_toy
10-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Whats this cheesed out repair? I did away with most of this stuff when I did the vacuum removal. Besides that the tb screw was sealed by a 30 year honda mechanic. I know it would be the most helpful to get to the tb screw, but if i do dig it out an adjust the idle, for whatever reason it popped out last time, it will probably do it this time. Technically the iacv is still hooked up, but its routed a little differently than before since the water pipe got ripped.

mushroom_toy
10-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Well unsealed the tb screw and fixed my idle and resealed it with silicone. All should be well. :)

Dr_Snooz
10-04-2009, 03:07 AM
Whats this cheesed out repair? I did away with most of this stuff when I did the vacuum removal. Besides that the tb screw was sealed by a 30 year honda mechanic. I know it would be the most helpful to get to the tb screw, but if i do dig it out an adjust the idle, for whatever reason it popped out last time, it will probably do it this time. Technically the iacv is still hooked up, but its routed a little differently than before since the water pipe got ripped.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I just read that you were trying to set idle with no idle controls hooked up and it sounded like a shade tree hack to me. Glad you were able to get it sorted.

ecogabriel
10-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Does the TB screw pops out or just loosens itself?
If the TB screw pops out then either the threads in the throttle body or the ones in the screw are stripped. Either get another TB in the junkyard (stripped hole threads), a new screw (stripped screw threads).
On the other hand, if the screw loosens itself that might be solved with a new or slightly thicker o-ring in the screw.