PDA

View Full Version : New member, 80's honda fan

oldschoolhatch
10-01-2009, 07:08 PM
hello everyone. i stumbled across this site when i was looking for info on 3rd gen accords, and figured i should sign up. i recently got an 88 honda accord, and am fixing it up for my daily driver / winter beater. im 21, so i got a fair bit of learning to go, but have owned quite a few different projects before, ranging from a 75 ranchero gt with a 450 big block to an 84 crx hf. ill prob start a build thread soon (when i hit my five posts ill add pics here and then start my build thread) to show you guys what iv been up to and to get advice as i go, but for now i figured id introduce myself and say that im looking forward to getting some great info/knowledge from you guys and the site. :cheers:

Pico
10-01-2009, 07:21 PM
:welcome:

Vanilla Sky
10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
What's up? Any rust issues? Some rustproofing is pretty necessary on these cars.

Good luck, and welcome!

Civic Accord Honda
10-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Welcome !!

oldschoolhatch
10-01-2009, 08:15 PM
thanks for the quick welcome guys!

What's up? Any rust issues? Some rustproofing is pretty necessary on these cars.
Good luck, and welcome!

yeah, thats pretty much what i started with. i gave the interior a pretty good cleaning first, then pulled it to check the floor. the floor surprisingly just had a small amount of surface rust, which i cleaned and then covered in rust preventitive. then i put the interior back in, and then moved to the doors. i took off the door panels, then cleaned up the surface rust along the bottom, and primered and covered in a rust preventitive paint. thats about where i am now. hopefully this weekend i tackle the rockers which need some attention, and then the body will be pretty good. ill post pics of it all when i start a build thread later. i also still own an 84 and 87 honda crx, so im used to dealing with the usual 80's honda rust issues lol.

Vanilla Sky
10-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Pull the trunk lining out. I noticed rust starting on the inside of the trunk in one of my cars. You might want to clean the area where the inside wheel well meets the trunk floor and strut tower and coat it with some preventative.

oldschoolhatch
10-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Pull the trunk lining out. I noticed rust starting on the inside of the trunk in one of my cars. You might want to clean the area where the inside wheel well meets the trunk floor and strut tower and coat it with some preventative.

i did take a quick look back there and it looked ok, but ill prob take a better look today just to make sure. thanks for the heads up!

oldschoolhatch
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
hooray, 5 posts! heres some pics of my accord, as well as my other two 80's hondas. enjoy :rockon:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/matthewae86/88%20accord/DSC00385.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/matthewae86/88%20accord/DSC00383.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/matthewae86/crx/PICT0432Medium.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/matthewae86/crx/bluecrx010.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/matthewae86/crx/crxs007.jpg

Vanilla Sky
10-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I want a set of those old phone dials. What size are they?

Rendon LX-i
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
There 14s i belive.....but i might be wrong....13s...shit i forgot but

WELCOME. i love those old skool rexs...i used to have a SI...was really clean but i just had to sell it.

Civic Accord Honda
10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
nice man! 80s hondas ftw!!

oldschoolhatch
10-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I want a set of those old phone dials. What size are they?

they are pretty cool, and if i remember correctly decently light too... these ones are 14''... i already got diff rims for the crx, so i prob wont use them anyway :thumbup:

There 14s i belive.....but i might be wrong....13s...shit i forgot but
WELCOME. i love those old skool rexs...i used to have a SI...was really clean but i just had to sell it.

yep the are 14s. you could get them in 13s, but those ones were alot rarer. forget what they came on, but most NA si models came with the 14'' phonedials. sorry to hear you had to sell yours, they make a pretty cool car to work on, hopefully the accord is as much fun as they have been.

nice man! 80s hondas ftw!!

ha ha true that :rockon:

2ndGenGuy
10-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Awesome! You have the REAL CRX! The original is still my favorite! Nice rides!

oldschoolhatch
10-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Awesome! You have the REAL CRX! The original is still my favorite! Nice rides!

thanks, thats the way i see it too. it was alot harder finding first gens here. the black one is the si, and its body is rough but all the trim, interior, trans/motor are good, so im going to use those parts on the blue one. the blue one is the hf, and the body is clean cause its originally from california. together they should make one decent one.

oldschoolhatch
10-05-2009, 07:42 PM
small update - body work is pretty much done.floors are done, doors are done, inside door jams are done, and rockers have been cleaned, rockerguarded, and the last coat of paint will go on tomorrow. thats about the only body places that needed cleaned. the rims need a cleaning and paint, but that can be done after safety. for safety the biggest hurdle i got is making it run right. its having trouble starting, and currently wont. but looking at the battery cable connections and battery itself, im pretty sure a cleaning/replacement would help alot. if that doesnt solve it the guy said it could be the starter. either way, its something electrical, so hopefully its one of the previous two, cause i dont like electrical problems :uh:

but overall im enjoying this project a fair bit. i got the car on trade for a diff car. what i did was get the same amount of cash for my car that i originally paid for it, plus the accord on top of that. so basically i got the car for free :naughty: and so far iv spent a little less than 50 bucks, basically on rust resistant primer, rust check paint, and rockerguard. so im pretty confident that this will make a sweet cheap daily driver :cool:

oldschoolhatch
10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
update - rockers are done, and so that technically ends cleaning up the body, or at least for now. i played around a bit under the hood, and the battery is completely done, and the battery cable ends are pretty much done too. I plan on just getting a new battery and cable ends and see where that takes me. the starter might be gone too, but i wont really be able to tell till i fix the above mentioned first. i also have to fix the drivers door handle, the previous owner broke the outside handle, and now the door can only be opened from the inside. Prob wont start too much on this till tuesday or wednesday, got thanksgiving weekend and have about 3 or 4 suppers to take part in. whoop whoop!