PDA

View Full Version : Rod Bearings

Rendon LX-i
10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I dropped my pan since im going to retap it proper for the setup i have.....But for the heck of it i just seening how much slop i had on my rod bearings...i a have a slight movement up and down...im not saying its like WHOA..but like barly you know. I was woundering how much is okay... I dont knock but im thinking i might plastic gauge and just replace em...they move side to side of course but that doesnt matter. i know the play is what is not good correct...Yet idk every engine is different...

let me know crew.:D

Ill prolly just get some oem ones for now if i really think i need em...going to have a buddy come and check it out tommorow....REMEMBER I DONT KNOCK...or have shavings.....i see some but idk i used alot of that gasket market seems like it mixed in with the oil LOL....not good

Dr_Snooz
10-08-2009, 06:27 PM
If you could feel it, I would think you'd hear the most unearthly clatter under the hood. Are you sure that it isn't just the crankshaft moving?

Rendon LX-i
10-08-2009, 06:34 PM
No...the crank isnt moving....the all have the same almount of play so im prolly okay. was rebuild along while back...so im assuming its getting close for bearings....

But anywho im going to start buying parts for my new build just incase this block takes a crap...BUt i dont think so...runs like a dream. o and i had chunks of gasket maker stuck on the bottom of the pan making it seem i had shavings. its that import gasket maker and its grey....Im the fool that used that to hold the gasket in place LOL....o well i got some sealant and should take care of my issue.

Hauntd ca3
10-09-2009, 12:06 AM
you will always have a few thou of up/down movement in the bearings, both crank and rods, is just oil clearance

Rendon LX-i
10-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Thats what i taught man.....Thanks for clearing that up

AZmike
10-11-2009, 07:08 AM
If you really want to know pull the bearing caps and use some plastigage. It doesn't cost much and shouldn't take long and then you'll know for sure.

Rendon LX-i
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I just baught some. not going to risk the motor. I mean runs good but its different when you inspect things. Seening and hearing is a whole different story lol

AccordEpicenter
10-13-2009, 05:58 PM
be sure to check your center main bearing, #3. thats where the most damage and wear as far as bearings are concerned, in a20s seems to be. The #3 main bearing damage is what killed my first boosted motor, and made me get another crank for the 2nd engine build (i scrapped the first motor and engine entirely) they chew the bearings up and damage the crank main journals.

Rendon LX-i
10-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Good to know bro...well do