PDA

View Full Version : changed water pump and now it smokes

fijisac
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
well i changed out my water pump today due to a clung sound, well anyways i changed it out with one from the dealer (85 bucks:sad2:) and now its blowing out white smoke at very random times. it only blows out when I'm cruising at around 40 mph and when i take off from a stop. can some one plz help me out cause this is my only car i have to get around (my mom's car needs a new engine and its 1800 for a remaned one:jaw:)

nswst8
10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Can you post a pic of your engine bay?

fijisac
10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Can you post a pic of your engine bay?

well its a stock a20a3 but i cant do it till tomorrow cause its dark outside and there is not enough light

Rendon LX-i
10-08-2009, 09:33 PM
This is what im thinking. Since its a new pump thus causing more water pressure......SO im thinking it went right threw your headgasket to your clyinder and burning it at times.. have you changed your head gasket? if not thats pretty much your problem. happens. thats my openion thou

nswst8
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Try to get a pic if it,s smoking while idling. Wish you would have posted earlier I was up in Sacramento today.

nswst8
10-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Then check the oil for water contamination and the coolant for oil contamination. Water exiting from the tail pipe. Low coolant in the radiator

fijisac
10-08-2009, 09:39 PM
dam i hope its not a head gasket, i check the oil and its not milky but i have never changed a head gasket on the car

Rendon LX-i
10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I would check it good bro.....thats what im aiming at....WHITE SMOKE...not good...means wata is getting in and burning some how some way...

nswst8
10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
dam i hope its not a head gasket, i check the oil and its not milky but i have never changed a head gasket on the car

These are pretty simple and straight forward to do.

Rendon LX-i
10-08-2009, 09:41 PM
I agree...its not that hard....takes some time an some brew if you old enought

fijisac
10-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I agree...its not that hard....takes some time an some brew if you old enought

lol well i did on my old LX and it was a pain cause of all the vacuum lines but i guess i can do it

nswst8
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Pull the plugs 1st to see if there is water contamination.

Civic Accord Honda
10-08-2009, 11:52 PM
yeah a headgasket is very easy on theses cars

Dr_Snooz
10-09-2009, 05:11 AM
What is your oil level?

fijisac
10-09-2009, 07:18 AM
What is your oil level?

well my oil level is fine, its dark black (needs oil change) and not milky and my coolant is green and it was full when i checked it this morning, and when i drove it, it only smoked once while i was driving, the engine was fully warmed up (i heard the fans come on) and i was coasting at 40 mph

nswst8
10-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Where was the smoke coming from?

fijisac
10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Where was the smoke coming from?

out of the exhaust pipe but there is no water coming out of it

nswst8
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Okay this is the way that I see it.

No oil in the coolant
No water in the oil pan
No water coming from the tailpipe
No coolant loss

You should be good.

Final check is the spark plugs.

nswst8
10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
out of the exhaust pipe but there is no water coming out of it

If the car was sitting for awhile, in could have been condesation in the muffler

fijisac
10-09-2009, 11:57 AM
If the car was sitting for awhile, in could have been condesation in the muffler

well i bought the car about 2-3 weeks ago and i just started to drive it on monday. but before i bought it, it was just parked there for bout 6-7 months (says the previous owner)

Rendon LX-i
10-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Well you know YOU wont ALWAYS loose coolant if you have a blown h/g...IT can be to a point where burning it. IF it gets to your oil....THEN you have to replace it. Just at taught. you dont always have to have oil and coolant to have a blown headgasket...

fijisac
10-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Well you know YOU wont ALWAYS loose coolant if you have a blown h/g...IT can be to a point where burning it. IF it gets to your oil....THEN you have to replace it. Just at taught. you dont always have to have oil and coolant to have a blown headgasket...

that's true but i will just have to what happens now

nswst8
10-09-2009, 01:07 PM
You can always do a leak down test or/and a compression test.

Check your plugs.

Dr_Snooz
10-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I had odd white smoke puffs come out the tailpipe of my other car when the oil was over-filled. How're the brakes? We had someone on here with white smoke from a bunged up brake booster leaking brake fluid into the intake manifold. How's the car run otherwise? Is it great, except for the smoke or basically a big piece of junk? I'm honestly not sold on this being a head gasket problem. I've been wrong before and could be wrong now, but I'd make real sure about that diagnosis before going to all the work.

lostforawhile
10-09-2009, 07:57 PM
well my oil level is fine, its dark black (needs oil change) and not milky and my coolant is green and it was full when i checked it this morning, and when i drove it, it only smoked once while i was driving, the engine was fully warmed up (i heard the fans come on) and i was coasting at 40 mph

change your oil, it might have water condensed in the oil from sitting and its going through the pcv system.

cubert
10-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I doubt its a headgasket if all youre getting is a puff of smoke here and there and the car runs fine...

fijisac
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I had odd white smoke puffs come out the tailpipe of my other car when the oil was over-filled. How're the brakes? We had someone on here with white smoke from a bunged up brake booster leaking brake fluid into the intake manifold. How's the car run otherwise? Is it great, except for the smoke or basically a big piece of junk? I'm honestly not sold on this being a head gasket problem. I've been wrong before and could be wrong now, but I'd make real sure about that diagnosis before going to all the work.

well the car runs fine but the when you mention about the brake, my brakes are not the great, i am loosing brake fluid and my pedal feels spongy and i have to add brake fluid every now and then, i'm going to look into it in the morning

fijisac
10-09-2009, 09:25 PM
change your oil, it might have water condensed in the oil from sitting and its going through the pcv system.

i plan on changing the oil soon cause it is due for one

lostforawhile
10-09-2009, 09:45 PM
well the car runs fine but the when you mention about the brake, my brakes are not the great, i am loosing brake fluid and my pedal feels spongy and i have to add brake fluid every now and then, i'm going to look into it in the morning
there's your smoke, I'll bet if you pull the master the rear seal is shot and has eaten a hole in the booster diaphragm. you need to pull a vaccume on the booster and see if it leaks down. brake fluid smoke isn't blue because it's not petroleum based

fijisac
10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
there's your smoke, I'll bet if you pull the master the rear seal is shot and has eaten a hole in the booster diaphragm. you need to pull a vaccume on the booster and see if it leaks down. brake fluid smoke isn't blue because it's not petroleum based

well is there a special tool to pull vacuum or can i just use a hand vacuum pump?

lostforawhile
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
well is there a special tool to pull vacuum or can i just use a hand vacuum pump?

hand pump. if the rear seal is gone on the master brake fluid will eat a hole in the booster diaphragm. then vacuum will suck brake fluid into the booster and it will be pulled into the intake manifold through the booster hose. pull the booster hose and stick a q tip around the inside edge of it you might find brake fluid.

fijisac
10-09-2009, 10:00 PM
so should just go ahead and replace the booster if the rear seal is gone and if there is brake fluid in the vacuum line going to the intake manifold?

lostforawhile
10-09-2009, 10:03 PM
so should just go ahead and replace the booster if the rear seal is gone and if there is brake fluid in the vacuum line going to the intake manifold?

if there is brake fluid in the line going to the intake, the booster diaphragm is perforated and it needs to be replaced, as well as a new master cyl. if it 's still holding vacuum it's a judgment call, if the rear seal had failed on the master,fluid could have gotten in there and chances are down the line it's going to fail.

ecogabriel
10-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Okay this is the way that I see it.

No oil in the coolant
No water in the oil pan
No water coming from the tailpipe
No coolant loss

You should be good.

Final check is the spark plugs.

Keep an eye on these; I would not replace anything unless one or more of the above shows up.
Replace old oil and filter according to user manual specs for grade, and your choice of brand or type of oil. Run the car at highway speeds to eliminate as much condensation from the exhaust as possible.

fijisac
10-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Keep an eye on these; I would not replace anything unless one or more of the above shows up.
Replace old oil and filter according to user manual specs for grade, and your choice of brand or type of oil. Run the car at highway speeds to eliminate as much condensation from the exhaust as possible.

well i have been driving the car around 40 mph to 80 mph depending where I'm at and what the speed limit :Owned2:, and i notice that it only smokes when i pump the brakes and take off and when I'm cruising around 40 mph.

update: i check my spark plugs and then are normal (regular wear and not coolant fouled) and i took a look at the big vacuum line from the booster and there was some fluid in the hose :Owned: so I'm going to replace the master cylinder and brake booster

nswst8
10-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Great call Tim, I hadn't thought of that.

fijisac
10-10-2009, 09:53 PM
thank you every who had input on this thread because if i had never posted this, i would have ended up changing a head gasket and not addressing the real problem.

thank you every one again:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

lostforawhile
10-10-2009, 10:37 PM
well i have been driving the car around 40 mph to 80 mph depending where I'm at and what the speed limit :Owned2:, and i notice that it only smokes when i pump the brakes and take off and when I'm cruising around 40 mph.

update: i check my spark plugs and then are normal (regular wear and not coolant fouled) and i took a look at the big vacuum line from the booster and there was some fluid in the hose :Owned: so I'm going to replace the master cylinder and brake booster
make sure to follow the directions on how to set the pushrod length in the booster, if you don't it will cause problems in the rear part of the master cyl and you might end up with this same problem again. what is happening is when you press the brakes it squirts fluid out the back of the master cyl, then under high manifold vaccume, such as taking your foot off the gas and pressing the brake, it sucks it through the bad booster diaphragm and into the intake. brake fluid is terrible for the rubber diaphragm in the booster it turns it into a gooey mess. I'm glad you caught it before you lost the rear part of the master cyl or the booster completely. according to Murphys law, it usually fails under panic braking,such as when the idiot on the cell phone cuts you off and you slam on the brakes.

Dr_Snooz
10-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Great call Tim, I hadn't thought of that.

Hello?