PDA

View Full Version : No start problem

SCONE122
10-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a 1989 Accord with a 119cid engine. It has not ran for a year. When it last ran i was driving it home and the oil light came on and the engine died. After this it would turn over but not start. I am now tring to get my baby running again and could use some help.

So far I have charged the battery and checked for ECU codes and there are none. I would like to check for fuel but I am not sure where or which hose to check. Could someone help me please?

Oldblueaccord
10-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Oil light means no or very low oil pressure. That is very very bad for an engine. If it won't turn over with a good starter and battery then the motor most likley is bad meaning it will need to be replaced or rebuilt. You might start with a compression test.

Checking for fuel safely is a little hard on a fuel injected motor since there under pretty good pressure. There is a pressure port on the fuel filter that you can put a guage on to check it.

wp

nswst8
10-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Did you at least check the oil? What did it look like and was it low and how low?

SCONE122
10-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah oil is good and engine turns over OK. I will try to fine the fuel inlet to check for a gas supply.

nswst8
10-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Check main fuel relay under driver side dash above the fuse block. These are known to crap out on our cars.

lostforawhile
10-11-2009, 07:41 PM
have you checked your timing belt? if the pressure suddenly dropped and it shut off you may have broken a belt, the belt drives the oil pump belt breaks oil pump stops dizzy stops turning, and car stalls. pull the cap off of it and see if the rotor is turning when you crank it over. If the light suddenly came on and it didn't make any horrible noises and just quit thats most likely what happened.

88Accord-DX
10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Spray some carb or brake cleaner in the intake & see if it fires up or for a few seconds.

SCONE122
10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I removed the cap and the rotor does not turn with the engine. I am assume lostforawhile is right and I need a new belt. Looks like it is a tough job. Does anyone have any advice or cautions?

lostforawhile
10-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I removed the cap and the rotor does not turn with the engine. I am assume lostforawhile is right and I need a new belt. Looks like it is a tough job. Does anyone have any advice or cautions?
there should be a ton of info on here, do some searching maby start a thread, there is a lot of help here if you need it.

Dr_Snooz
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM

Nice work Lost.

It is a fairly major repair. What is your mechanical skill level generally? Have you done any major work or have you limited your under-hood exploits to checking oil? If you're closer to the latter than the former, you should leave this to a shop.