PDA

View Full Version : New member help!! idle

turboslo89
10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
okay, so i've been reading through the forums but don't understand a thing. when i start my car, it turns over really really slow, like the battery is dead, but it eventually starts. Then once it starts i have to spend around 30 secs giving it gas to keep it running, then once it can stay running by itself, it will idle at around 2k rpm. And sometimes it will fluxuate between 2k and 3k rpm. it will stay idling at this for like 10-15 minutes, sometimes longer, eventually it calms down and idles normal. Keep in mind i've never owned a Carbed honda, but i know a little about carbs. I dont think i can adjust the idle screw because once the idle calms down it will just die out. I need help on what to do, pics would be a plus cuz the idler screw is about the only part i know on a carburetor :wtf:, ANY help is appreciated thanks, its guzzling gas and riding the crap out of the clutch when it does this.

greentee76
10-12-2009, 02:09 PM
It should come up to 2-3k when you first start it, that is the choke and cold idle working.
It sounds like you probably have a vacuum leak or two.

turboslo89
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
a vacuum leak huh, hmm, well like i said i dont know i guess anything about carbs, but could the choke be sticking? thus making the cold idle last longer than normal, i mean, it takes a really really long time for the idle to calm down, and i bought the car for $200 with 277xxx mi's on it for a winter beater and it has grown on me fast lol. and if i spray some carb cleaner in there does anyone think it would help, or could it cause more harm than good?

greentee76
10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
It is probably the fast idle unloader leaking internally. It has a diaphram that will leak with just a small hole.
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html
You can download the manual here and it gives testing instructions for the fast idle unloader.