PDA

View Full Version : Got 2 questions

skinner17
10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
i got a 87 accord lx it idles rough at stops its starting to get cold out how do i adjust the carb and when its cold it will idle at 2000-2500 when cold does that for like 10-15 min when i pop in nutral its got 192200 i need to adjust carb can some one direct me to carb tuning section i have never adjusted a carb in my life i need some advice PLEASE

greentee76
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
First of all learn how to use a period. Holy run on sentence batman.
To turn the idle up you need to use the idle speed screw, which is a large black plastic thumbscrew on the rear, passenger side of carb.
It is supposed to go up to 2-2.5k when cold. That is your cold idle and choke working. However if you are not able to get it to come down with a blip of the throttle after 5-10min you may have a problem with the choke unloader. http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html Go here for the service manual and read up on how the choke, fast idle, and unloader are supposed to work.

skinner17
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM
it also when i come to stoplight im afraid it going to die. it goes from 1000 to about 400 so i pop in nutral. its been sitting for a year and a half or so i did a oil change fresh coolant. replace thermostate.

greentee76
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
it also when i come to stoplight im afraid it going to die. it goes from 1000 to about 400 so i pop in nutral. its been sitting for a year and a half or so i did a oil change fresh coolant. replace thermostate.

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Rendon LX-i
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
First of all learn how to use a period. Holy run on sentence batman.
To turn the idle up you need to use the idle speed screw, which is a large black plastic thumbscrew on the rear, passenger side of carb.
It is supposed to go up to 2-2.5k when cold. That is your cold idle and choke working. However if you are not able to get it to come down with a blip of the throttle after 5-10min you may have a problem with the choke unloader. http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html Go here for the service manual and read up on how the choke, fast idle, and unloader are supposed to work.

I do that all the time LOL...but im rendon i get away with it......:D

89blackmamba
10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I have an 89 Accord LXi, and my problem is after driving for a couple of minutes, when I hit the stop/stoplight, my idle would drop below 700rpm and the car would jerk and it just happened today and yesterday that it stalled twice on a stop. what could be the problem?

jasonrebellion
10-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I have an 89 Accord LXi, and my problem is after driving for a couple of minutes, when I hit the stop/stoplight, my idle would drop below 700rpm and the car would jerk and it just happened today and yesterday that it stalled twice on a stop. what could be the problem?

yours sounds like an idle air control valve.

89blackmamba
10-13-2009, 08:59 PM
yours sounds like an idle air control valve.

Do I need to clean it or replace the whole thing? Also, I barely noticed it today while I was parked that when I turn my headlights on, my rpm would drop to 500rpm (the car would not stall though). I am assuming it also has to do with the alternator?

Vanilla Sky
10-14-2009, 02:39 AM
No, that more than likely has to do with your idle air control valve not idling your car up when your alternator asks for more power to turn it.