PDA

View Full Version : cold start problem

import racer
10-13-2009, 03:12 PM
So it's getting colder out and when i start my car in the morning it stalls.I push the gas peddle before i start it,and i checked the choke and it's closed.But the one vacumn line going to the distributor,the one for cold start broke off so only has one hose on it.Don't know if that's what the problem is or not.Anyone have any suggestions.

CzEcHy
10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I'd go buy some new hose (it's always good to have some laying around in case), and replace that and all leaky hoses (use some carb cleaner or brake cleaner and spray it around the hoses ends when the car is on)..

It's most likely just that or a combination of hoses.

import racer
10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
So you don't think the port that is broke of the dist is causing a problem.I'll get some new hose and change it on the weekend.THANKS.What size is the hose anyway.

Dr_Snooz
10-13-2009, 06:09 PM
A quick junkyard trip and $5 will get you a new pot. Take a handheld vacuum gauge with you to make sure you get one that still holds vacuum.

CzEcHy
10-13-2009, 06:10 PM
So you don't think the port that is broke of the dist is causing a problem.I'll get some new hose and change it on the weekend.THANKS.What size is the hose anyway.

Oh I thought you only said the hose was broke..

Well do what snooz said and replace whatever broke

import racer
10-14-2009, 07:35 AM
I have another vacumn pot but not sure how hard it is to change.This is my dd so don't want to be without a car if it doesn't go well.

Rendon LX-i
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
its easy.....thats why you go to the junk yard and pratice so you dont mess up on your 3g

Dr_Snooz
10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I have another vacumn pot but not sure how hard it is to change.This is my dd so don't want to be without a car if it doesn't go well.

Two screws and a little circlip. Don't drop the circlip into the distributor and you'll be fine. Easy easy.

Just make sure the new one holds vacuum. If you don't have a vacuum pump, push in the plunger, cover the holes with your fingers and make sure the plunger stays down. Again, easy easy.

import racer
10-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks I'll give it try if it warms up,got wet snow and rain today.

import racer
10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Well changed vacuum canister on dist,and it still stalls when i first start it.I checked the hoses and they seem to be ok.Anyone have any other suggestions what else to check.

import racer
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Anyone?

MessyHonda
10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
changed out your spark plugs...checked the timing?

import racer
10-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I think it's the choke ,think the spring is weak.There are none in the j/y and i'm not paying 200.00 at the dealer.Might pick up a manual choke if it can't be adjusted.

import racer
10-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Ok got the car to start when cold no problem,but when going slow it seems to buck a little.Could my timing be out from when i had the dissy off.

import racer
10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Well took out the plugs today and cleaned them,they were fouled from the choke being closed to far.thought it was the dissy because the shaft had alot of play in the shaft.