PDA

View Full Version : Serious 1989 Accord LX Problem

ol_89
10-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Alright, well the car just started acting funny one day. It'll take off fine once you let it sit and idle for a little bit. but once you take off and let off the gas and get back on it to the floor, the car will go to about 2500 rpms and start running like crap and make a popping sound like its not getting any gas. Plus it wont go to any higher rpms unless you pump the throttle a few times. it runs like crap until you get passed 4000 rpms and then revs fine. Ive replaced the fuel pump, strainer, both fuel filters and did a full tune up on it. Still does the same. It has me puzzled. And i know its not the "pre-heated air" problem either i checked that hose, and i looked at all the vacuum hoses and they look all intact. So any help on this would be nice. Thanks

CzEcHy
10-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I believe I had the same problem on my 88' LX, it turns out to be the float bowl or something..

All I did to solve it was raised the float bowl screw thingy (it's the flathead type screw right above where the fuel line goes into the carb), and I let the car fully warm up before going anywhere..

It seems to work just don't raise that screw very far, just like 1 1/2turn maybe (it'll start flooding the engine frequently if you raise it to much)

That's just my 2 cents tho, ideally you should just buy a new carburetor lol..

ol_89
10-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I believe I had the same problem on my 88' LX, it turns out to be the float bowl or something..

All I did to solve it was raised the float bowl screw thingy (it's the flathead type screw right above where the fuel line goes into the carb), and I let the car fully warm up before going anywhere..

It seems to work just don't raise that screw very far, just like 1 1/2turn maybe (it'll start flooding the engine frequently if you raise it to much)

That's just my 2 cents tho, ideally you should just buy a new carburetor lol..

well ive thought about buying a new carb. But theyre like $400 at advance auto parts which is where i work. lol. So i wanted to try other things first to be sure. Because ive read somewhere else that a guy replaced his and it still did the same thing

CzEcHy
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
well ive thought about buying a new carb. But theyre like $400 at advance auto parts which is where i work. lol. So i wanted to try other things first to be sure. Because ive read somewhere else that a guy replaced his and it still did the same thing

Ahh I see, try just adjusting that screw and always letting the car warm up 100% before driving..

If that doesn't solve it then I don't know, I'm only going off my experiences with my carb

ol_89
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Ahh I see, try just adjusting that screw and always letting the car warm up 100% before driving..

If that doesn't solve it then I don't know, I'm only going off my experiences with my carb

yeah im definitely gonna try that tomorrow. thanks for the advice. Im ready to get this thing done and out of my yard. lol

Dr_Snooz
10-13-2009, 06:06 PM
It might be best to adjust the float so that the gas level is between the marks on the sight glass on the side of the carb. Blind turning on the floats is a good way to end up with a non-running car.

Is the popping coming from the carb?

greentee76
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Check for a loose booster venturi?http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568