PDA

View Full Version : bad ignition?? I have no IDEA!!!!

87AccordsterLx
10-03-2002, 10:03 PM
IM not in the "know how" when it comes to these things so I need :help: ... This isnt a dificult question I wouldnt think... so... Sometimes when I turn the key in the ignition... the key will turn all the way and all you hear is a click in the engine bay... all of the gauge lights come on and ...nothing!!!.... So I try it a few more times and the same thing... just one click in the engine bay... so a few clicks later... it just starts up like normal. What part do I need to replace??? If this is a good excuse to get a MSD Ignition or an Accell Coil I will be delighted... lol... but seriously I have no Idea what Im talking about so any help would be cool..... I just want to add this to see if it could be realted and or If someone knows what the problem is as well... 90% of the time when Im driving and slow down to a stop or close to a stop... once I go to get back on the gas the car stutters once and then catches...It is extreamly annoying.... once again :help:

anchovies
10-03-2002, 10:38 PM
maybe it's your starter
about the stutters - when's the last time you changed you fuel filters, tune up?

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-03-2002, 11:10 PM
This reminds me of a past experience (quite a few years ago--about 4 years before I could even drive). It was in my old '86 Buick LeSabre. My sister was driving me and a friend somewhere, and we stopped at a gas station to get something to drink. Come back out and turn the key....CLICK, CLICK....and no starty. Tried it again, and again, and again, same thing (keep in mind I didn't know jack shit about cars back then). To make a longer story shorter, about 2-3 hours later, we came back and called somebody that knew more about cars. He came over, went straight to the battery and tightened the cables, and she fired right up on the first try. Haha...we all felt like such dumbasses for not thinking of checking that, lol. So check and make sure your cables are nice and clean, and tight. Also check on the starter end of the cable, as well as the ground to the chassis and make sure everything is clean. :)

ACCORD EX
10-04-2002, 01:58 AM
check battery terminals for corrosion and good contact , check the engine ground on the valve cover , check the starters ground on the starter !

MIKE

bigpoppa88
10-04-2002, 07:30 AM
I just changed my starter due to the same problem (just 2 clicks every time though). As a matter of fact I put the problem starter on another accord and it still existed, hence eliminating the loose/corroded cable theory. As things happen it is usually never the cheapest fix!

87AccordsterLx
10-04-2002, 10:33 AM
thanks a lot guys... I usually keep all of my batt termanals and connections clean but I havent checked the grounds latey... I'll let you know how it turns out.... thanks!!!! If I have any shorts in my wiring config. leading to the batt. such as fog light wires etc. could this also be a cause???

ACCORD EX
10-06-2002, 11:41 AM
but the lights do turn on right ? ( ignition lights ? )

MIKE

87AccordsterLx
10-06-2002, 10:09 PM
oh ya.. they all light up... but the car just clicks... wont even turn over once.. just a click then nothing.. so you have to keep turning and clicking it untill it just turns over all of sudden...

ACCORD EX
10-07-2002, 04:29 PM
check the starter ground ! and engine ground !

MIKE

njpeter
10-07-2002, 05:15 PM
kiss the tip goodbye ( best to wipe it first) and use it to jump the heavy connectors on the starter..if it spins over..starter solenoid is on the fritz. Be carful, wear glasses..a good spark could be the last thing you see outta that right eye. A tire iron can sometimes fix this problem..rap it gently on the starter housing. Unless you crank them to death, honda starters are really reliable. Could be the tranny safety switch also..try working the gearshift ( or clutch pedal).

I had a fiat once with a bad ignition switch..they were all bad actually after the third switch in a year, i put a psuh button in to crank the engine. put a label on it that said "eject".

87AccordsterLx
10-07-2002, 06:18 PM
I cleaned out the ground for the engine... just curious .. does the ground for the starter go through a plastic fuse before the wire grounds.... ??? Im not sure what Im looking at here....

ACCORD EX
10-08-2002, 12:53 AM
not sure about the fuse thing ! but it's a thin wire hooked to the starter from the top ! i wish i had a pic ! :(

MIKE

87AccordsterLx
10-08-2002, 10:01 AM
hmmm... I'll have to check that out...